The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

tired.gif
grin.gif

I noticed that on my canon 75-300mm usm lens there is a slight blur in the protective coating on the lens. It doesnt effect the images at all but its an eye sore when I look at it even though it tiny. Anyway this can be repaired? Or should I just leave it? It's just one of those annoying things in life like small door ding or a slight scuff on a shoe...

Photo Gurus,

I need some advice. Normally my set up is a canon 40d + tamron 17-50. Recently my tamrons aperture motor has broken leaving me with error 99.

Anyways, I was hired to shoot a club type event and need some recommendations for lens. Since im low on funds I will have to rent.

I was thinking of the following-

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8

Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM

Sigma 30mm f/1.4

I would love to rent the sigma because its cheap and fast, but im worried that 30mm wont be wide enough.

any advice would be greatly appreciated

That guy Max -

Do you have a flash. If it is a club event a flash is a must.

I have handled the 17-55 and find that it is an amazing lens to play with. That 2.8 is just nice to have.

Never played with the EF- 17-40 so no clue, but it is an L.

Sigma 30 is awesome. However, it's fixed and the auto-focus can be quicker.

Seattle206 - That 75-300 is pure garbage, do 55-250.

Originally Posted by That guy Max

Photo Gurus,

I need some advice. Normally my set up is a canon 40d + tamron 17-50. Recently my tamrons aperture motor has broken leaving me with error 99.

Anyways, I was hired to shoot a club type event and need some recommendations for lens. Since im low on funds I will have to rent.

I was thinking of the following-

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8

Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM

Sigma 30mm f/1.4

I would love to rent the sigma because its cheap and fast, but im worried that 30mm wont be wide enough.

any advice would be greatly appreciated
Do you have a flash? If so, you can get away with the 17-40L with it's f/4.0. and still come out with crystal sharp images.

If you don't have a flash, and are using available light, then go with the Sigma 1.4.

Alright guys....some other advice if anyone can give it.

I am thinking about getting a 7D and want to get it before I go to NYC on June 23rd. I want to get a fisheye but don't think I can get it on time before the trip due to funds. As an all around lens, is the kit lens with the 7D any good or is there another cheap lens that might be better? I want a wide lens and a quick one.

Anyone got opinions on the 24mm 2.8 lens?:

CanonEF24mmf28_SideA.jpg

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Alright guys....some other advice if anyone can give it.

I am thinking about getting a 7D and want to get it before I go to NYC on June 23rd. I want to get a fisheye but don't think I can get it on time before the trip due to funds. As an all around lens, is the kit lens with the 7D any good or is there another cheap lens that might be better? I want a wide lens and a quick one.

Anyone got opinions on the 24mm 2.8 lens?:

CanonEF24mmf28_SideA.jpg
I shoot with a 7D and my number one walk around prime is a 24mm f/1.4.
It's wide on the crop body but won't give you any real barrel distortion.
I used to shoot with an 8mm on my old Olympus, but I prefer the 24. Just wide enough.
I say go for it, I never miss a shot with the 24 here in NYC.

so we were out an about and decided to snap a couple of candids/portrais of my sister-in-law, what do you guys think....

4646630894_9404a1d65c_b.jpg

4646646582_f121259846_b.jpg

BONUS***
4646659758_0808c65533_b.jpg

Been slacking for a while...C&C are welcome especially using off-camera flash. My girl just gave me an SB-900 as a gift a couple of weeks ago.

I don't think I've posted pics on here since '09. Well here are some pics from last years Fleet Week/ Memorial Day weekend. C&C is welcome as always.

4646416417_afb005efec.jpg

4646414935_1fb85baf5b.jpg

4647030938_347ba8bbe2.jpg

4647031520_6fc1ff57b0.jpg

Vintage WWII beauty
4647031192_2507b71c90.jpg

This guy has some SERIOUS glass
4647030638_1b7f42f2eb.jpg

Anyone in NYC/ LI area if you wanna see planes and stuff hit up Republic Airport out in Farmingdale.. that's where I took these last year and will be going back this weekend.. sick stuff.

Originally Posted by KobeBeef

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Originally Posted by lauk4kicks

To my studio/experienced photographers, how much more equipment would I need to make something like this happen? I'm guessing I'll need a white backdrop, wireless flash triggers (580 ex II), umbrellas, rental lens?
Canon XS with kit, 50mm f1.8 II, 430 ex II, tripod.

kicks.jpg

The 580 ex wouldn't be powerful enough for that kind of shot.
I'd say probably two AB800s through a lightbox camera left and right, and then two 580exs, one on either side, camera left and right behind the subjects for fill, and a white backdrop, fluorescent overhead lighting, and what looks like probably two of those lights that look like blacklight bulbs, but white. (I can't remember what they're called, but you just set them up vertically left and right of the subjects.)

OR

Two off camera flashes camera left and right in reflective umbrellas, one flash in a shoot-thru umbrella behind the subjects, and a solid working knowledge of Photoshop.

look up zach arias' white seamless tutorial, you'll find out how to do it.

and btw, if you need really cheap (and reliable) wireless triggers, look up the YongNuo RF-602's. i have them, and they're awesome.
Luckily the organization just wanted me to take candids cause there was no way I was getting all this gear ready in two days. Here is the final product:

North American Chinese Basketball Championships in Toronto!

WWW.NACBAIT2010.COM

May 29-31 2010

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Alright guys…..I need a little friendly advice if you can give it.

So my camera’s not opening its shutter…resulting in about $400 in repairs (just when I had faith in Nikon again!) I am kind of in a little bind and wonder what you would do in this situation. I am not really looking into fixing a faulty body when I can even get another body for pretty cheap whether on Craigslist or online. Also I kind of don’t want to get another D90 since they are the verge of extinction pretty soon but I don’t really want to be without a camera for a long time either. I have a couple of Nikkor lenses that I like but there is really no Nikon body that I want with my needs, which is something that shoots good in low light and shoots HD videos. I could make the jump to Canon again but I don’t want to downgrade to a T2i and the 7D is looking a little pricy for my budget and plus I want some lenses along side the body I get.

So with that being said, does anyone know if Nikon’s going to come out with a new body anytime soon? And if so, should I just wait till it comes out to make a decision to get a Canon or a Nikon or get something now? Also since the repair is going to cost about $400, I was thinking about just getting a point and shoot for the mean time (Canon S90 = $399) but I know it will shoot crap photos compared to a DSLR.

Anyone want to sell me in getting a T2i? (Santi where you at) or even some Nikon bodies?
Im in the same boat as you bro.  I sold my D80 last week and i'm teetering on getting a used D300 but all signs point to a D90 and D300s replacements this year.  I would wait if I were you.  It sucks not being able to shoot for now but I'll probably be kicking myself if I got a used D300 now and then a D400 (?) with 1080p video and even better ISO performance comes out. 
indifferent.gif

just picked this up, pretty sure its one of the most popular of all dSLR cameras, got it with a lens and memory card for 600.

more pics to come soon!

1.jpg

Hey guys, im deciding between the pentax K-x & the canon t2i, I ordered canon but its on backorder right now & I've really been giving the pentax some serious thought...I just don't know how much the vdeo factor is going to affect me. The t2i def wins in the video category (im going to be recording my bros bball games along with taking photos). What do you guys think

Originally Posted by ksteezy

so we were out an about and decided to snap a couple of candids/portrais of my sister-in-law, what do you guys think....

4646630894_9404a1d65c_b.jpg

4646646582_f121259846_b.jpg

Not bad. What is her ethnicity? Greek?

nah shes dominican...lol

here are some from yesterday...
kindda missed the focus on the close-up one, shooting wideopen can be tricky...lol
4654877155_df324acc29_b.jpg

4 1/2 women.
4654875481_29c68a6d41_b.jpg

couple of portraits of the fiancee and I.
4654876645_e60e6b70b5_b.jpg

4655493888_25f4bb49f6_b.jpg

No flash night portrait, shot wide open at ISO 1600
4655492942_65c9c69c81_b.jpg

some nice shots in here. i like the one with the cadillac and the houses.

here are some of mine.

258cl7d.jpg

monetary bay aquarium.

2rmtl3p.jpg

34fgy7t.jpg

20ap0f7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom