The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

DSC00553s.jpg

Love the lume on this thing :smokin

every time i read SCSAs qoutes, i read it in his voice in my head :lol:

1.png

2.PNG
He's a big watch guy. He lost his omega seamaster 300m chrono in ring during the attitude era. It seems like he really knows his stuff from his choices.

I've always liked the Sinn made Bell Ross Demineur. I had a later BR made Demineur and I'm kicking myself for selling it now

i think pams pretty much lost its luster these days and not so hyped and many of their diehard followers hate it that they are offering smaller cases but its all good to me because the 38mm might actually fit me and i hope the lack in demand makes it possible for a decent discount

really digging these blue pam926, made out of titanium too so its going to feel like it weighs nothing and has a new in-house movement apparently
Panerai-Luminor-Due-titanium-Pam926.jpg

pam01043 is also 38mm so i am digging these new options despite it not being "traditional" size and wr
Panerai-Luminor-Due-2019-Collection-PAM01046-1.jpg

pam01045 (rose gold)
Panerai-Luminor-Due-2019-Collection-PAM01045-1.jpg

i am with you, i cant tell which ref is which but then again i am not a pamhead but when it comes to pams, its all in the details

first these are looking very thing and its one of those things you just wont know until you have them on the wrist

like i love the pams sandwich dials, gives it different dimension and the numerals/markers shape they use
watch-club-panerai-luminor-1950-3-days-acciaio-brand-new-2017-ref-pam359-year-2017-5.jpg

but in contrast, the other has raised/painted markers that has that vintage patina super luminova look
Pam1043_Cat_Dett01_1934883.jpg

lots of nice timepiece news today

if youre a fan of military style watches and looking for something in the <$1k range, this ones pretty nice, ive always been a fan of vintage style divers and military watches and i really dig the shape of this one

Hamilton Khaki Pilot Pioneer Mechanical
Hamilton-Khaki-Pilot-Pioneer-Mechanical-2-of-10.jpg

Hamilton-Khaki-Pilot-Pioneer-Mechanical-6-of-10.jpg

Hamilton-Khaki-Pilot-Pioneer-Mechanical-10-of-10.jpg

a nice update from the og it was based on
Hamilton-Khaki-Pilot-Pioneer-Mechanical-02.jpg

giphy.gif

whats your sotc looking like these days?

Sold the Daytona and the Royal Oak for this. Got my money back while people are willing to pay the stupid premium for them (like I did). While affording one was a bit of a stretch, the opportunity to acquire one was too much to pass up, especially since I've been looking at the regular Datograph Up/Down since I've found out about it. :lol:

The SOTC is starting to move into independents and more complicated pieces now. Now's the time to take advantage of the undervalued pieces out there. Yes, even Panerai :lol:

Last edited:
is A. Lange considered independent being under richemont and all?

awesome piece though and if you like the pam cases but want the independet route, check out laurent ferrier galet squares, they have one with a blue dial that is simply stunning

is A. Lange considered independent being under richemont and all?

awesome piece though and if you like the pam cases but want the independet route, check out laurent ferrier galet squares, they have one with a blue dial that is simply stunning

Lange is technically not independent, but they build everything in house and develop their own movements. I don't think any of Richemont brands actually share any of the components or technology, except for notable people like Mr. Blumlein. Everyone seems to be going at full blast and competing with each other. :lol: With Lange though, I'm simply just a fan of the aesthetic and the craftsmanship and finishing that goes into each piece -doesn't matter if it's entry-level or a piece unique- they're all finished to the best of their standards.

Some independents design-wise are still too way out there for me. I did catch a glimpse of some independent brands over the weekend (MB&F, De Bethune, Voutilainen, Ressence and Urwerk, as well as Moser, Akrivia, and Journe -all worth second look, even if I did visit their manufactures and ateliers a couple of months ago... except for Journe. Did meet Mr. Journe, though by chance). Laurent Ferrier is popular, but don't really like the look of their pieces. Same with R.W. Smith.

Last edited:
oh yeah, a lot of independents out there are more trying to be innovative than traditional and resulting in busy dial designs, like does ressence even make any watches that isnt oil filled?

its cool but you really got to love the innovation put into it than for its looks, ressence is actually one of the more distinct yet inconspicuous if that makes sense

urwerk, richard mille, mbf, etc... yah hard to see myself wearing no matter how cool they look

If I remember correctly what was explained to me, Ressence makes both air and oil filled models.

While looks are important, the most important thing for me is I'd be able to tell the time right away. :lol: Was definitely surprised how these independent pieces are larger than I expected in size.

Anyway, just dipping my toe in that world. Not diving in anytime soon. Barrier to entry is pretty high as well. Great thing about these smaller independents is how intimate the relationship with the watchmaker can be. Can be an almost bespoke experience.

oh yah that is definitely nice, when i got my hublot a few years back when biver was still in charge and they were on the rise, i got in contact with their president (mr armstrong iirc) and pretty much corresponded with me and answered my questions directly, i had specific combination that they didnt offer on their classic fusion and offered me to make my own and he'd send it to me or actually pick it up in florida

back then i just wasnt about paying full retail for watches and didnt have the $$$ for the rose gold case configuration i wanted so I had to decline and get another less conspicuous but once i got my watch, i sent an email to biver and got a hand written note from him with an extended warranty... cant beat that

thats from a company that was far from an independent watchmaker and went above and beyond for a nobody really and i think that is why hublot is where it is today

i used to frequent timezone and wus and i always suggested and asked why a croc strap wasnt available and low and behold they come up with a gummy croc strap, not saying i had a hand in that but i did ask the president about it and eventually got one of the first croc straps from them iirc

hublot gets a bad rep but ill never forget that experience with them, this was right before the lvhm acquisition so hopefully they still conduct business the same way

also had some contacts with parmagiani and got invited to some of the dinners they hosted more than a decade ago, amazing watches but just never got into their style much, kind of reminded me of zenith

but yeah sorry for the long post but yeah customer service means a lot unfortunately i think these days its all about going to the shops and asking what ss models available and then you either walk out with one or your name goes on a list, not much interaction going on, even most salespeople i talk to in stores has little to no interest in talking shop or watches anymore... kind of a bummer

if your answer is yes then you guys can buy part of my daytona too... send me the money and i will post pics of the part of the daytona you paid for :rofl:

^ you'd wish time sharing is part of the deal eh? :lol:

That sounds awesome with Hublot. I did hear JCB does nice touches like that.

As for the AD experience, depending on the brand, you still get the passionate boutique staff. Except for PP, Rolex and AP, where they sound and look exasperated and miserable. :lol: Went into a multi brand AD the other day and they let me try on everything I wanted when I told them I wanted a feel of some brands that I was looking at in the future. They even took out a special anniversary piece that was still under embargo for me to try on. :lol: They value each customer that walks through their door. Really encouraged to buy one from them one day. In contrast, there was one time my local AD didn't even let me try on a Lange because it was sealed and I had to commit to purchasing it. Like wtf right? :lol:

I’ve gotten the best service by far at Bulgari. Perrier or espresso and chocolates as soon as i sit. Very nice staff too. I’m cool with a couple guys at my local Rolex AD but usually just pop in to shoot the **** since they never have any stock.

Back
Top Bottom