They're doing fan voting for a spot in the NBA Dunk Contest

Most of the Milwaukee Bucks coaches and players had already departed the premises.

The only ones remaining on the basketball court at the Cousins Center - the Bucks' training facility in St. Francis - were rookie forward Joe Alexander and a camera crew from NBA Entertainment.

With cameras rolling, Alexander put on a show. The highly-athletic Alexander did a myriad of scintillating dunks that would have undoubtedly brought nods of approval from Dr. J. or Air Jordan if they were in attendance.

The 6-foot-8 Alexander repeatedly rose gracefully above the rim before throwing down a thunderous dunk.

One time, Alexander took a few steps before ascending to the point where his head was level with the rim.

Alexander then banged his forehead against the rim not once but twice while delivering a dunk.

Standing at the opposite end of the court, Bucks center Andrew Bogut thoroughly enjoyed Alexander's gravity-defying feat, so much so that he wanted to see Alexander do it again.

And Alexander did.

Many more people may get the opportunity to see Alexander's high-wire act in February during All-Star Weekend in Phoenix.

Alexander is one of three NBA rookies who'll compete for a spot in the Slam Dunk contest. The other two rookies are guard Russell Westbrook of the Oklahoma City Thunder and swingman Rudy Fernandez of the Portland Trail Blazers.

The winner will be determined in fan voting at http://www.nba.com/http://www.nba.com/

Alexander, the former West Virginua standout who was the eighth overall selection in last June's NBA draft, said he'd love to showcase his dunking skills in Phoenix.

"I'd like to be in the dunk contest very much,'' Alexander said. "I'm very excited about possibly being able to do that.

"I've have a lot of different dunks. Now I might have that chance to bring them out for others to see.''

Alexander said his vertical leap was measured at 38 inches at the NBA pre-draft camp in Orlando last summer, but added his vertical leap is even higher than that.

"It's really 55,'' said Alexander, laughing. "Nah, it's about 40. It's definitely higher than they measured at the combine.''

So, who is Alexander's all-time favorite dunker?

"Takayo Siddle,'' Alexander said.

Takayo Siddle?

"I swear to God,'' Alexander said. "He's a point guard at Gardner-Webb. He's 5-10. He dunks through his legs. … He's ridiculous.''

While Alexander is fired-up about the possibility of being in the Dunk Contest, it doesn't preoccupy him. He's got more pressing concerns -- like being a better basketball player and contributing more for the Bucks.

While several of his fellow rookies are garnering major minutes and already making an impact, Alexander's minutes have been sp#####.

He's playing behind a talented veteran in Richard Jefferson at small forward and gets spot minutes at power forward behind Luc Mbah a Moute and Charlie Villanueva.

Alexander has appeared in 24 of the Bucks' 29 games and is averaging 4 points, 2.2 rebounds and 11.9 minutes.

"I'm not frustrated,'' said Alexander, who'll turn 22 on Dec. 26. "I knew coming in that I would have things to learn.

"If I didn't have anything to learn, then I would have averaged 50 points a game in college.

"And I'm not frustrated that the other (rookies) are doing well. We had a good class coming in. Everyone expected a lot out of this class.

"We knew we had guys who could make immediate impacts and that's what has happened. They have delivered.

"I thought of myself right from the start as someone who was going to need time to develop. That's the way I've always operated in high school, in prep school, in college.

"It's no different in the NBA. It's going to take time to develop, but I'll be all right.

"I feel I'm improving every day.''

Bucks coach Scott Skiles concurred, saying Alexander is gradually making the transition from the college game to the pro game.

"He's coming along,'' Skiles said. "In the last month, he's been much better in practice and I've tried to spot play him.

"I thought he played well in the fourth quarter the other night (against the Clipppers). He does some things.

"But he's in a tough spot. He's got some quality guys in front of him and he's got a lot to learn.

"But he's very athletic. He's got excellent speed. He jumps well, he's got a quick first step. He's a fantastic athlete.''

Interesting...so I'm guessing the other three contestants will all be vets. (Dwight Howard possibly...and two others)

I'd much rather see Alexander than Westbrook or Rudy ...

But the dunk contest sucks so whatever.

Originally Posted by Uter Zorker

Russell Westbrook eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

about time u got on board

pimp.gif

But the dunk contest sucks so whatever.
Have to disagree. It did suck for a number of years... however the past couple it has had some creativity that we haven't seen in a while.

2006 Iggy killed it with creativity and did Dunks that were never seen to that point, the bounce catch around the back jam & the off the back of thebackboard jam were
eek.gif
! Although they gave it to Nate who didn't deserve to win but hedid have some nice dunks, Iggy was the Peoples Champ that year.

2007 was weak except for the Howard Sticker Jam. Other than that anytime a dunk contest turns into I can jump over [insert noun here], you know it'sterrible.

2008 Dwight Howard killed it with the SUPERMAN LAYUP! Green had the candle blow it, and my personal favorite that year was the Howard bounce tap off the glasswith left hand flush it with right hand jam it was so simple and smooth looking you wondered while no one ever thought of that.

So this year I think it could only get better.

Sounds good, but I'm not too excited about the Dunk Contest this year. Hopefully, the fans do the right thing and vote in Alexander.

The Dunk contest has fallen off so much. I would like to see Alexander in there. And bring Nate back

The NBDL Dunk Contest this year could be something to watch for:
[h2][/h2]
[h2]-League Dunk Contest 2009[/h2]
By Antoine on Saturday, December 13 2008, 01:19 - News - Permalink
D-League-All-Star-2009-logo.jpg

Many players drafted this year ended up in the NBA D-League. Among them, many great dunkers like J.R. Giddens, Bill Walker and Sonny Weems. With the addition of James White and Brent Petway, the 2009 D-League Dunk Contest may outshine the NBA Dunk Contest
eek.gif

[h2][/h2]

If that's the NBDL lineup then there isn't a lineup the league can comeup with to outshine that.

if u dont vote for Joe youre crazy. during his practice for the Ncaa 1st round at the verizon center, i saw dunks i have never seen before. this man can fly.

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

[h2][/h2]
[h2]
grin.gif
-League Dunk Contest 2009[/h2]

Many players drafted this year ended up in the NBA D-League. Among them, many great dunkers like J.R. Giddens, Bill Walker and Sonny Weems. With the addition of James White and Brent Petway, the 2009 D-League Dunk Contest may outshine the NBA Dunk Contest
eek.gif

[h2][/h2]

thats already better than the NBA dunk cntest

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

[h2][/h2]
[h2]
grin.gif
-League Dunk Contest 2009[/h2]

eek.gif

[h2][/h2]

James White & Bill Walker
pimp.gif

Maybe I'm missing something... but the past couple dunk contests have been pretty damn good, don't know why people are still complaining.

Back
Top Bottom