Things being an Atheist has taught me.

Originally Posted by Rico x Hood

So, I was talking to my friend the other day about religion, because he's decided to go buy a bible to study its teaching. I am an atheist of five years so of course I started telling him some of my opinions on matters regarding religion. After all that, he informed that even if everything I was saying was true, at the end of the day people need something believe in. That got me thinking, about what I believe in if I don't believe in a higher power. I realized that all these years of disbelief in god caused a greater belief in my abilities and the abilities of my fellow man. I really started evaluating many of the actions I've taken since leaving the world of religion, and I believe my life has gotten much better since then.

After eliminating church doctrine from my everyday life, I've come to realize that I am capable of doing anything, because I put all my faith in myself, and so any achievements I make are based solely of steps and actions that I've taken, same goes for my failures. See the church tells us that no one can be perfect, because only Jesus was, and it's become almost taboo to utter that word when talking about your fellow man. But me, I find it detrimental to the greater good of man to not chase perfection. Perfection in ourselves, our lives, and anything we wish to attain. Do we as people believe we can't achieve perfection and greatness because we really can't or because the church and society has told us for so long that there is no way that we can ever be? Personally, I don't buy that anymore. And I think man will be altogether better once we shed our belief and faith in an absolute higher, and put our belief in faith in ourselves and try to attain absolute greatness.

That is all. Thoughts? Criticisms?
Im the same way!
I get tired of people saying "Oh you should thank god for that"
grin.gif

I did what i had to do with belief in myself and off of the strength of progression of myself and my family.
pimp.gif

I strongly believe that the bible is a huge glorified fable that people take too seriously. all that pre-destiny talk iscorny.... Makes the Matrix look possible

A few of the things my atheism has taught me...

Being religious is easy. You never have to account for any unknowns. 'God did it' will suffice.

I am capable of doing great things without any need for a deity.

If god was truly great, would he really be such a praise-seeking egomaniac?

Dealing with death is a lot harder. Part of being an Atheist is realizing that people are truly gone forever. I won't see them again.

I enjoy doing things for people more because I realize my reward is here. It isn't some b.s. token to redeemed later.

Logic is nothing to be taken lightly. Be prepared to defend logic against mysticism and realize that their 'god card' is all they need to be'right'.

The path of happiness has nothing to do with meaningless sacraments, genuflections, or such laughable pomp and circumstance.

I am happier.

Finding someone to spend the rest of my life with is hard as an atheist....especially if I want to raise kids with someone that holds my values.

Helping the religious is hard. Trying to get someone to understand that they aren't 'given what god thinks they can handle' is tough.

lol of course at the end of the day people need something to believe in
he just copy pasta
everyone uses that

Originally Posted by northparkblind

Let me just say this,

Christians has it the hard way because we know and believe in sins.

because we know exists, we try our hardest to not sin.

for people who don't believe in sins has it the easy way because

they don't know what sin is so they just commit sin without care.

How about no? The concept of sin/heaven and hell hasn't always existed and doesn't exist in every culture. Non-christians are not any less moral ormore likely to commit sins than Christians. Most of the greatest atrocities and crimes against humanity have been committed by Christians sometimes in the nameof Christianity. Same goes for all other Judeo-christian based religions.

Thank you! the Lord does show us we can be perfect, Just read everything Paul had to say and Christ "be ye perfect" Perfection in Gods eyes is fallowing his will in your life and that can only be found out by asking and having a realationship with that "God" who gave you that will...........Yes you can live a perect life it's us who choose not to and it's us who put a worldly definition on what perfect is and never ask the Lord who made us what that is........And im talking about Jesus Christ when I say "God" fyi lol

But that's the thing, no one can tell you how to achieve your own perfection, it's relative. It's only something you can know for yourself. Godcan't tell you, Peter can't, because that's just you living for their definition and not your own. You'll never know how great you can be anduntil you begin living for yourself and achieving your own goals.

Thank you! the Lord does show us we can be perfect, Just read everything Paul had to say and Christ "be ye perfect" Perfection in Gods eyes is fallowing his will in your life and that can only be found out by asking and having a realationship with that "God" who gave you that will...........Yes you can live a perect life it's us who choose not to and it's us who put a worldly definition on what perfect is and never ask the Lord who made us what that is........And im talking about Jesus Christ when I say "God" fyi lol

But that's the thing, no one can tell you how to achieve your own perfection, it's relative. It's only something you can know for yourself. God can't tell you, Peter can't, because that's just you living for their definition and not your own. You'll never know how great you can be and until you begin living for yourself and achieving your own goals.
Peter cant? huh? I dont think you understood what I was saying, Im telling you what Jesus Christ teaches you can think what you want in justsaying what the Bible teaches, His perfection is His Will lived out in our life just as Jesus did the Fathers Will in his life......It's really simplehonestly.......Perfection of the worlds standard will change over time, the perfect "something" now wont be perfect later God doessnt work like that

Originally Posted by northparkblind

Let me just say this,

Christians has it the hard way because we know and believe in sins.

because we know exists, we try our hardest to not sin.

for people who don't believe in sins has it the easy way because

they don't know what sin is so they just commit sin without care.
nerd.gif
really?

So, I was talking to my friend the other day about religion, because he's decided to go buy a bible to study its teaching. I am an atheist of five years so of course I started telling him some of my opinions on matters regarding religion. After all that, he informed that even if everything I was saying was true, at the end of the day people need something believe in. That got me thinking, about what I believe in if I don't believe in a higher power. I realized that all these years of disbelief in god caused a greater belief in my abilities and the abilities of my fellow man. I really started evaluating many of the actions I've taken since leaving the world of religion, and I believe my life has gotten much better since then.

After eliminating church doctrine from my everyday life, I've come to realize that I am capable of doing anything, because I put all my faith in myself, and so any achievements I make are based solely of steps and actions that I've taken, same goes for my failures. See the church tells us that no one can be perfect, because only Jesus was, and it's become almost taboo to utter that word when talking about your fellow man. But me, I find it detrimental to the greater good of man to not chase perfection. Perfection in ourselves, our lives, and anything we wish to attain. Do we as people believe we can't achieve perfection and greatness because we really can't or because the church and society has told us for so long that there is no way that we can ever be? Personally, I don't buy that anymore. And I think man will be altogether better once we shed our belief and faith in an absolute higher, and put our belief in faith in ourselves and try to attain absolute greatness.

Ok, since each person can make-believe their own rules and ways about life, I've decided I'm the greatest basketball player ever.

Since it's all about "our belief in ourselves", whatever we decide to believe, whatever we make up in our heads, that's the way it is.

I mean, set aside the fact that God set things up they way they are and that there's a sin nature in man that must be dealt with.

It's all about self-reliance and self-belief.

Therefore, not only am I the greatest basketball player ever, I can write 1000 words a minute, hike Mt. Everest in a t-shirt and jeans, become a U.S. Senatorsimply by asking for the job, find the woman of my dreams out of about 4 billion women, dunk a basketball from the 3pt line, and I can singlehandedly guaranteethat I won't go to hell when I die because I know every detail about the afterlife and can circumvent God's control of everything.

All just by believing whatever I want.

Dude, not believing God exists is still believing something - it's an act of faith that you're right about a whole lot of things you have zero way ofknowing or comprehending.

Me, I'm trusting the Lord.

Use your faith, and the overwhelming proof of God's existence and love, toward belief in Him.

Look at it this way: Belief and trust in Christ is like a bullet-proof vest in your life. Each day you don't come to Christ in trust, you walk throughlife's crossfire unprotected. At any moment, you can be hit and left with nothing.

Think about it...

yo this is funny when you start talking about aliens but uhh i had a weird dream i cant explain when it started but i was traveling through the universesgalaxies heading back to earth what i can say is that the universe is huge but there is a point where it ends and begins?

Sorry, I meant to say Paul instead of Peter. I get what your saying, but my beliefs tell me that perfection is nobodies will but your own. So any teaching ofJesus can't possibly be the instructions for achieving perfection, because there are none. The ability to achieve one's own greatness is something thatthey have to figure out themselves, once they are able to stand on their own feet and able to take 100% responsibility for their successes and failures thenthey will be able to tap in to their inner greatness.

Originally Posted by Burns1923

Ok, since each person can make-believe their own rules and ways about life, I've decided I'm the greatest basketball player ever.

Since it's all about "our belief in ourselves", whatever we decide to believe, whatever we make up in our heads, that's the way it is.

I mean, set aside the fact that God set things up they way they are and that there's a sin nature in man that must be dealt with.

Therefore, not only am I the greatest basketball player ever, I can write 1000 words a minute, hike Mt. Everest in a t-shirt and jeans, become a U.S. Senator simply by asking for the job, find the woman of my dreams out of about 4 billion women, dunk a basketball from the 3pt line, and I can singlehandedly guarantee that I won't go to hell when I die because I know every detail about the afterlife and can circumvent God's control of everything.

Dude, not believing God exists is still believing something - it's an act of faith that you're right about a whole lot of things you have zero way of knowing or comprehending.

Use your faith, and the overwhelming proof of God's existence and love, toward belief in Him.

Look at it this way: Belief and trust in Christ is like a bullet-proof vest in your life. Each day you don't come to Christ in trust, you walk through life's crossfire unprotected. At any moment, you can be hit and left with nothing.

Think about it...

thank you. i am dumber for having read this.

Originally Posted by Burns1923

Therefore, not only am I the greatest basketball player ever, I can write 1000 words a minute, hike Mt. Everest in a t-shirt and jeans, become a U.S. Senator simply by asking for the job, find the woman of my dreams out of about 4 billion women, dunk a basketball from the 3pt line, and I can singlehandedly guarantee that I won't go to hell when I die because I know every detail about the afterlife and can circumvent God's control of everything.

Dude, not believing God exists is still believing something - it's an act of faith that you're right about a whole lot of things you have zero way of knowing or comprehending.

Look at it this way: Belief and trust in Christ is like a bullet-proof vest in your life. Each day you don't come to Christ in trust, you walk through life's crossfire unprotected. At any moment, you can be hit and left with nothing.

Think about it...
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by lobotomybeats

Being religious is easy. You never have to account for any unknowns. 'God did it' will suffice.

Dealing with death is a lot harder. Part of being an Atheist is realizing that people are truly gone forever. I won't see them again.

I enjoy doing things for people more because I realize my reward is here. It isn't some b.s. token to redeemed later.

Logic is nothing to be taken lightly. Be prepared to defend logic against mysticism and realize that their 'god card' is all they need to be 'right'.

The path of happiness has nothing to do with meaningless sacraments, genuflections, or such laughable pomp and circumstance.

I am happier.

Finding someone to spend the rest of my life with is hard as an atheist....especially if I want to raise kids with someone that holds my values.

Helping the religious is hard. Trying to get someone to understand that they aren't 'given what god thinks they can handle' is tough.

1. are you kidding me? all I do is research the "unknown" so I can say I didnt just take what was given to me "my people parish for the lack ofknowledge" Jesus said that

2. We all are, but our great isnt gods great, ever heard of the rich man and the poor man at the gate?

3. He seeks our Love! if he wanted us to praise him he would make us and take away our freewill, he seek our love just like I would seek my own sons love andaffection "and praise"

4. Yes it is! honestly the world has it sooo much hard in a lot of aspects, it's why I feel so sad when I try to comfort my friend when somebodydies.........It's hard man! I cry for them

5. any Christian looking for a reward is not a follower of the word, you say reward is here I say I need not a reward to Love my Brother because Jesus Lovesme......Im passing a good thing on!

6. I dont pull the "God Card" anybody that does that just doessnt know enough and that's the easy way out

I've come to realize that I am capable of doing anything, because I put all my faith in myself, and so any achievements I make are based solely of steps and actions that I've taken, same goes for my failures.
All that needs to be said.

Sorry, I meant to say Paul instead of Peter. I get what your saying, but my beliefs tell me that perfection is nobodies will but your own. So any teaching of Jesus can't possibly be the instructions for achieving perfection, because there are none. The ability to achieve one's own greatness is something that they have to figure out themselves, once they are able to stand on their own feet and able to take 100% responsibility for their successes and failures then they will be able to tap in to their inner greatness.

Ahhhh you know Peter then!! good man good man lol jk, well like I said im telling you what the Bible teaches yeh know? worldly perfection can never be reached,it just cant even a person definition of it because sooner or later that "perfect" wont be perfect anymore, you got an example on what you mean.....like what would be perfect in your life?

Originally Posted by lobotomybeats

Logic is nothing to be taken lightly. Be prepared to defend logic against mysticism and realize that their 'god card' is all they need to be 'right'.

I am happier.

QFT

religion never been a subject of discussion in my household. Its always been "each man for themselves, your decisions and consequences guide you in life,not a 'spirit'. "

well first i would ask you what do you think happens when you die? have you ever thought about that? even if you do think your living a "perfect"life, does that mean your still going to have a life after death?
and christians dont say its wrong to chase perfection, they just say that we, as inherently unholy beings, cannot achieve perfection
think about it... have you ever gone a day in your life with doing everything completely right and morally correct? im guessing no so to say that man shouldtrust himself and to think that perfection is a realistic thing that you can reach, with concerns to morality, is to send yourself on a never ending search
The 10 commandments are generally accepted by people(of all race and religion) as the guidlines to life, and i would reccomend that you reflect your everydayactions upon these guidlines and see how you stand up against them
this reflection should, if your honest, show you that you indeed are not perfect and that you realisticly cannot be perfect and that we as humans need asolution to this problem.
im not goin to tell you the solution but ill give you a big hint....research the bible and evidence for it...because its there and if you seek then you willfind

Back
Top Bottom