Tipping Vol. Why am I paying you extra to do your job?

How is it foolish to tell the broke people to get carry out? They know damn well you are supposed to tip and servers don't make a livable wage. Cheap people can get carry out and everybody wins. You're not changing the system by not tipping your server. You're just being a cheap tool.

Fantastic4our wrote:

You can generalize every job like that.
Waiting tables is probably one of the more difficult jobs I've had. There's putting in orders and bring food out (for several tables simultaneously I might add) but there's also preparing the tables (silverware, salt & pepper, etc.), dealing with rude (and cheap 
laugh.gif
) customers, being on your feet ALL DAY, being knowledgeable about what's on the menu and being able to explain it (food, drinks, etc.), dealing with moody $#$ chefs 
laugh.gif
, I could go on.

So, it took nearly 20 pages to get this explanation. 

"Im cheap" disguised thread. Your suppose to tip because those people are only making 2-3 dollars an hour Minus tips. 
 UPS, and USPS workers are making like 15-20 an hour, (guess) and dropping packages off is in their job description.
 You're really tipping someone for good service.....
(friendly, but not annoying, keeps your drinks filled, and checks on you every so often to make sure you have EVERYTHING you might need)
I hook everybody up, but the better job you do, the more $ your getting. I had PERFECT Service at Pappadeux, (my girls Bday) and my bill was 78 and some change. I just hit em with the $100, and told him keep the change. I never tip anything less than 5.
Also my girl works off tips, So I know how it is. what comes around goes around

This makes me mad. Stay your fat @%@ home if you don't tip 20%. If you knew my hourly wage you'd be mad too.

Originally Posted by donttalkitlivit

"Im cheap" disguised thread. Your suppose to tip because those people are only making 2-3 dollars an hour Minus tips.

They should have thought about that before they agreed to take the job.  

Would you rather get charged 20% more off top? That's all that would happen if nobody tipped.

taken from the Department of Labor's website:

A tipped employee engages in an occupation in which he or she customarily and regularly receives more than $30 per month in tips. An employer of a tipped employee is only required to pay $2.13 per hour in direct wages if that amount combined with the tips received at least equals the federal minimum wage. If the employee’s tips combined with the employer’s direct wages of at least $2.13 per hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference. Many states, however, require higher direct wage amounts for tipped employees.

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/wages/wagestips.htm

Originally Posted by MPLSdunk

Would you rather get charged 20% more off top? That's all that would happen if nobody tipped.

I don't really care to be honest.  I have the money to buy what I want to eat.  If I didn't, then I wouldn't go to the restaurant.  Tipping people for doing their job... doing what they're supposed to do is stupid. 

Originally Posted by CHRISblazinNJ

eyes.gif
You act like being a waiter was their dream job. A lot of them probably can't get better jobs.

the alternative to tipping is paying every waiter more in wages. in texas the minimum wage for servers is 2.13, but the regular minimum wage is 7.25. to make that up for employers, they hire less servers and increase the cost of everything on the menu.

laugh.gif
. To insure proper service. Now you are just giving them money regardless. Whatever man enough of this thread.

Originally Posted by do work son

the alternative to tipping is paying every waiter more in wages. in texas the minimum wage for servers is 2.13, but the regular minimum wage is 7.25. to make that up for employers, they hire less servers and increase the cost of everything on the menu.
you might be the only other person using their head in this thread
laugh.gif

also, for the people regurgitating "you're supposed to because that's how things are"

you should give a $5 tip (minimum, don't be cheap guys) to the security next time you leave the mall.

they provided a safe environment so you can enjoy your shopping experience

Originally Posted by GRyPR33

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

I tip every time I sit down at a nice place to eat. Usually around 20-30% depending on the service, but I can see some using a $5 flat rate rule as fair.

Tha'ts fine and all if your eating alone or with a friend and not spending much at an iHop....but if you run up a $100+ tab you think 5$ is justified?

Yeah, I think it is in most situations. The food is just more expensive. What's the server for the more expensive place doing that the chick at iHop won't do? He isn't spinning the plates as he brings them out riding a unicycle
laugh.gif

I think any more than 4 in a group should leave more than $5 because you made the server work harder to take care of your group, but for up to 4 people why complain about getting $5?

Wow some of yall are clueless.  Most of the time, the server doesn't get the whole tip.  Sometimes there can be food runners, bussers, bartender, and server splitting that tip.  So you're gonna tip someone $1-2 dollars for service?
roll.gif
Cheap.

Get this crap out of here.

Who cares if OP doesn't understand why people should tip?

Dude asked why UPS and post office employees don't get tipped.
This is ludicrous man. Do you know how much federal employees
get paid OP? UPS drivers don't do too bad either.

Yeah, let's tip our mailman every day
laugh.gif

I would definitely become a billionare mailman.
smokin.gif

Do you know how much more expensive restaurants would be here without employees splitting tips up? Its how the country works, otherwise stay in and cook or move to Europe. Take the tip system out and you'll see **%% service especially if the pay is mediocre, people are motivated by it and its human nature to do so.
You're underestimating the amount of customer service, tolerance, and hard work a lot of them go through.

That would never happen, restaurants would charge a TON MORE.

Meal prices are high enough already, if restaurants raised them to replace tips I could never eat out
sick.gif

Ok. Bottom line I could care less if waiters live and die off their tips. I tip so they dont spit on my food if I ever come back.
I tip my barber and the pizza guy/any delievery person.

If you dont have money to tip then you dont have money to eat at the restaurant.

Anyone who even brings a thing like this up is low class beyond belief and shouldnt be argued with. Just let him play himself. Cheap people are annoying always whining about money every 3 seconds.

The only time I think its okay not to tip is when the waiter is rude to you.

The bill is what you pay for food/drinks.

The tip is for the service.

donttalkitlivit wrote:

That's a crock of !!$% and you know it
laugh.gif
.. you're "supposed to tip" ? Dude, Give me a break.. No one is obligated to tip if they don't want to. You ask to be seated, pick your meal, and pay for that meal. Simple as that.

As for me, I do understand the wages these guys get paid and further more, they're servicing me, so I always tip.. but if the service is poor, then I'll make sure the tip reflects that. 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by mandown91

Originally Posted by roback1991

OP, it sounds like you're a classless ingrate, who probably works retail, most likely selling cell phone cases and belt clips at a mall kiosk.

This is how the restaurant/bar industry works: You visit an establishment in hopes of having a meal that you don't have to prepare, with that comes the responsibility of the server to take care of you and all of your needs. If you don't tip, you're stealing a service.

If you don't like the way it works, don't make an *#% of yourself in public and stiff your sever.
Stay at home where inbred mongoloids belong.

First off, in the first post I said what my job is.  Secondly and no one has explained this, how is walking to and from the kitchen carrying plates and drinks a service?  How is that difficult?  How does that deserve a tip? Talking to people, and writing down their orders... MAN! That's tough work right there b... 

Obviously son didn't read the first post, because I clearly said I tip.  So where are you getting that I "stiff my server"?

#PleaseRespond

As been said, it's a much more involved job than that. You work for Apple, right? So all you do is stand around and sell iPods all day?
No, I'm guessing not. I'm sure you take stock, have to take training on new products, maybe some data entry. Generalizing is easy. There's a lot that goes into serving. When I served, I had to know 50+ bottles of wine. Their names, their vintage, grape hangtime, where they come from, what corkage they use, etc. Same goes for cocktails, beers, etc. That was the toughest part for me, but running around table to table all day really wears on you.

So you can't really say it's an easy job if you've never done it. 

But, you're asking why you should tip, not challenging the difficulty of the actual job. So look at it this way. When you walk into a restaurant, your server doesn't work for that restaurant, they work for you. 90% of what they do during their shift ensures that you, the customer, has an enjoyable time. That is what dining is. So why shouldn't you pay for that service? 

When you repair a car, you pay for the new parts plus an added servicing fee. What's the difference.

The phrase "I don't tip" should be synonymous with "I don't go out to eat", otherwise you're stealing.

For the record, to all those who said it's their fault for getting a job that pays $3, when I served, I never made less that $300 on a Friday or Saturday.

Pretty fancy place though.

18 pages of people trying to justify being cheap. If the job pays $3/hr, you are not paying extra, you are paying them to do their job.

They didn't take a $3/hr job because there are minimum wage laws in this country. You guys can try to use semantics to justify being cheap but it's just acting like a lowlife.

Originally Posted by Supremacy

Originally Posted by SonOfTony

^^

indifferent.gif

if thats how homeboy pays his bills, why are you knocking him?!

Don't think he's knocking him, other guy's post just comes off as high and mighty when there's no need.
And honestly, I think it's just easier for restaurants to put the 15% or 20% into the bill before bringing it to you.

thank you fambs.

he's all "i work in this spot and i park cars in that spot"...

that's like saying "i strip at a VERY UPSCALE PLACE"

word?

grin.gif
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Put em up

Originally Posted by Spot Rusherz

Originally Posted by mandown91

haha whatever boy... i be high as a kite anyways when i go out to eat, you think i give a F about what an establishment gotta say about me... boy idgaf about some restaurant and what some white man told me to do... I DONT LISTEN TO NOBODY BOY ... i dont tip, n never do it

My son wylin
roll.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

My mans high as a kite right now.
laugh.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif

jioqpu89402oijmkcaop8uy2984ojj'"|]\d[a]f;\

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

If you can't afford to tip at least 10% don't eat out its simple.

If you receive bad service I get it but just not tipping is shameful and you broke lames trying justify not doing it are ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom