Tipping Vol. Why am I paying you extra to do your job?

Originally Posted by mandown91

smh yall just corrputed man real talk.... if yall could see the light, man what that mean if F you n F the boy standin next to you... SOUTH SIDE STAND Up , boy i b ballin .. n i be cookin too man yall some funny cats...

blee dat playboi

Originally Posted by Quincy Powell

laugh.gif
@ mandown91

hahahahahah man some ppl will never understand my view n op views upon tippin.... they dont even wanna get me started on america

sadly when some people think power, it's like power=white.

although there is a clear white privilege that exists with this society. don't contribute everything that is related to SEC or class structure to race. It just perpetuates these archaic systems.

Originally Posted by GRyPR33

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

I tip every time I sit down at a nice place to eat. Usually around 20-30% depending on the service, but I can see some using a $5 flat rate rule as fair.

Tha'ts fine and all if your eating alone or with a friend and not spending much at an iHop....but if you run up a $100+ tab you think 5$ is justified?

Yeah, I think it is in most situations. The food is just more expensive. What's the server for the more expensive place doing that the chick at iHop won't do? He isn't spinning the plates as he brings them out riding a unicycle
laugh.gif

I think any more than 4 in a group should leave more than $5 because you made the server work harder to take care of your group, but for up to 4 people why complain about getting $5?

Fine dining is a little bit different than ihop. Wine service, bread, dessert and coffee service, etc. is a lot more than what they do at ihop. 

Originally Posted by roback1991

OP, it sounds like you're a classless ingrate, who probably works retail, most likely selling cell phone cases and belt clips at a mall kiosk.

This is how the restaurant/bar industry works: You visit an establishment in hopes of having a meal that you don't have to prepare, with that comes the responsibility of the server to take care of you and all of your needs. If you don't tip, you're stealing a service.

If you don't like the way it works, don't make an *#% of yourself in public and stiff your sever.
Stay at home where inbred mongoloids belong.
see its ppl like this that makes ppl from the hood angry, you see ppl like him, sayin %#%+ like stay home n blah blah blah... is straight hatin on the hood, yall dont understand the hood mentality... when you do you gonna see how corrupt this world is.... its always favored to the white man

You do realize hood mentality = stupid/ignorant mentality?  Seriously..lol there is nothing good about the hood...

Originally Posted by IamMD

OP, it sounds like you're a classless ingrate, who probably works retail, most likely selling cell phone cases and belt clips at a mall kiosk.

This is how the restaurant/bar industry works: You visit an establishment in hopes of having a meal that you don't have to prepare, with that comes the responsibility of the server to take care of you and all of your needs. If you don't tip, you're stealing a service.

If you don't like the way it works, don't make an *#% of yourself in public and stiff your sever.
see its ppl like this that makes ppl from the hood angry, you see ppl like him, sayin %#%+ like stay home n blah blah blah... is straight hatin on the hood, yall dont understand the hood mentality... when you do you gonna see how corrupt this world is.... its always favored to the white man

You do realize hood mentality = stupid/ignorant mentality?  Seriously..lol there is nothing good about the hood...
no its in white ppl mind that made the world to belive that the hood mentality = stupid/ignorant mentality..................  haha boy all hoods aint hood you feel me.....
see im just a asian kid who grew up in the hood with black ppl, n i can tell you from experience how minorities are treated different cause we from the hood

laugh.gif
@ mandown91

hahahahahah man some ppl will never understand my view n op views upon tippin.... they dont even wanna get me started on america

bruh you ain't from the hood. lol u a wannabe bruh, u got a computer. lol

Originally Posted by CashMoney

laugh.gif
@ mandown91

n so do you..... boy dont tell me where i live

laugh.gif
@ mandown91

what u gonna do about it? school me on the internet? child please.

what u gonna do about it? school me on the internet? child please.
naw its the internet... n you dont even know me, so why waste my time homie

I feel like most of this banter between ya'll is related to casual dining places. Most of you dudes talking about not tipping wouldn't have the sack to go to a fine dining joint. We know you aren't tipping, it's not a secret. 
wink.gif

lol @ where this thread went

When I hit restaurants, I double the tax plus round up. tax in NYC is *.75% so it ends up around 19 or 20%
At the bar, it's a dollar a drink unless I know the bartender. That's the one who hooks me ups so I go above and beyond.
If you're trying to impress shorty on a date, you ask them what they think a good tip is. Then they know how much you spoent and you put the onus on them for the amount of the tip.
I never tip barber because they set their rates. My regualr cut is $12 but If I ask for something special, he hits me for $15. you set your rate, you dont get extra unless i'm feeling jolly.
Delivery guys get a few bucks, mostly depending ont he distance/wait time/weather. I almost never order delivery. In NYC, they never charge tax on food unless you get delivery. It ens up adding like $6 just for not going up the block.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

These threads are always comical and always end up the same, people justifying why they are cheap.
laugh.gif

Learn to cook or head to the drive thru.
This.
Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Some of yall got NO business eating out....
Yup.

Some of ya'll some cheap @#@+@$*!#@$%*

First off, in the first post I said what my job is.  Secondly and no one has explained this, how is walking to and from the kitchen carrying plates and drinks a service?  How is that difficult?  How does that deserve a tip? Talking to people, and writing down their orders... MAN! That's tough work right there b... 

Obviously son didn't read the first post, because I clearly said I tip.  So where are you getting that I "stiff my server"?

#PleaseRespond

just curious OP, what do you do for a living? You have obviously never worked in a restaurant or you would understand that serving is much more than "carrying plates and drinks"\

EDIT:
laugh.gif
you work at the apple store talking about servers don't work hard? c'mon son
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by bwalk

just curious OP, what do you do for a living? You have obviously never worked in a restaurant or you would understand that serving is much more than "carrying plates and drinks"

Son, did you read my dudes original post?? It clearly states what he does for a living...
laugh.gif

OP, a waiter is basically like your butler/servant for the time that you're in the restaurant. While they might "just" bring your dishes/get you refills, they are also there to ensure you have a pleasant dining experience. The tip is your way of showing that you appreciate what they've done and that you think they did a good job. Also, some people go wild on the waiters and really make them work like crazy, always complaining, asking for ridiculous requests, etc. It's not always as easy/peaceful as you think.

Yes, it's their job to serve you, but tipping shows gratitude. For example, if I'm walking into a hotel and the valet guy at the door opens it for me, I'll say thank you to him to express my appreciation. It's his job, but I'm still going to commend him.

Originally Posted by scshift

OP, a waiter is basically like your butler/servant for the time that you're in the restaurant. While they might "just" bring your dishes/get you refills, they are also there to ensure you have a pleasant dining experience. The tip is your way of showing that you appreciate what they've done and that you think they did a good job. Also, some people go wild on the waiters and really make them work like crazy, always complaining, asking for ridiculous requests, etc. It's not always as easy/peaceful as you think.

Yes, it's their job to serve you, but tipping shows gratitude. For example, if I'm walking into a hotel and the valet guy at the door opens it for me, I'll say thank you to him to express my appreciation. It's his job, but I'm still going to commend him.

That's true.  They are like your butler/servant, however most of the real responsibility is on the chef.  If I tell the server I want my burger cooked Medium Well and it's medium, the server doesn't do anything except take it back.  Server doesn't re-cook it, the server just brings me my dish.  What's so commendable about that?  Why commend someone for doing their job?  It's what they're supposed to do. 

wait do work for apple or are you an apple sales associate?

sorta like when people say i work for nike. dude u aint tinker, you work at an outlet.

anyways. these people are servers so guess what they provide? service

/thread

jk

please respond.

Originally Posted by CHRISblazinNJ

Originally Posted by scshift

That's true.  They are like your butler/servant, however most of the real responsibility is on the chef.  If I tell the server I want my burger cooked Medium Well and it's medium, the server doesn't do anything except take it back.  Server doesn't re-cook it, the server just brings me my dish.  What's so commendable about that?  Why commend someone for doing their job?  It's what they're supposed to do. 

Well it's not "commendable" in the traditional sense that serving is like some kind of noble action or something, but you could say it's a personal way of thanks. Like you pay them for what they did, because their job was to serve you. Like I said, you're right, it is what they're supposed to do, but in American culture we show appreciation by tipping.

I do understand your points as well. It's just customary in America. Go to Asia and restaurants will not even accept tips.

Also, dudes need to stop taking shots at OP just cause he works retail... what, just cause you work retail you aren't allowed to have an opinion? Sounding mad condescending, like one job is "better" than others and warrants an opinion while the other doesn't
eyes.gif

Back
Top Bottom