Tipping Vol. Why am I paying you extra to do your job?

Originally Posted by do work son

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

Originally Posted by iamsaikotic

I see a trend here.

People who don't tip tend to think for about themselves

People who don't question things tend to tip, because they feel the pressure to do so
FIXED!

fixed indeed.

Agreed, and I don't see how the tip reflects on someone's age
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif

But I guess you can cay older people tip better than younger
ohwell.gif

I'm 17 and always tip BTW.

Originally Posted by Put em up

Originally Posted by iamsaikotic

I see a trend here.

People who don't tip are seem to be younger and probably value good service at a restaurant the same as they value their post count.

People who understand the point of tipping seem to be older than the average age on NT (16-21).
please.

im 26 and if the customer service is terrible i WILL NOT tip. age aint got nothing to do with it.

i agree with this completely.  i like to think im a very decent tipper but a few times i had service that was so crappy, rude, and unacceptable i didn't tip and ended up complaining to management over.

a few months back i went to applebees with my boy to watch one of the bulls heat playoff games.  i ordered a beer, the bartender poured it then took damn near 15 minutes to get it, all the while she was talking to people she knew regularly, i ended up asking nicely where my beer was and she gave me the
mad.gif
indifferent.gif
face got my beer and it wasn't cold anymore so i asked for another one, if im paying $5 for a beer plus tip, i want it nice and cold. she was mad i had her get me another beer. everytime i ordered a beer that night i had this same problem, it took forever i was ignored while the regulars were catered to or she had a phone call. at the end of the night i didn't leave a tip,  my boy was
laugh.gif
talkin about she does this all the time to people that go up there she doesn't know.  i ended up emailing customer service, a few days later the manager called me and invited me to come back to get whatever i wanted to eat and drink for free. i came back ran up a $120 by myself that ended up being free and tipped him very nicely.

This thread is just
eyes.gif
frown.gif
  some of you people wake up mad at breakfast...

laugh.gif
  @ dude who works at the Apple retail store trying to act like he is better than people -- outta here with that!

Originally Posted by CHRISblazinNJ

I'm trying to say that that increase in the price of food that you're talking about is already there after you tip. They do have easy jobs. They walk to and from the chef window all day, write orders down, and communicate with people. That's difficult?
Here was my day today..
got to the restaurant today at 10am, By myself I had to carry 15 tables outside for our outdoor seating, then I set up our inside tables (20), I also cleaned the tables. and set them up, (cups, napkins, silverware), after that I  had to go downstairs and carry 4 buckets of ice to bring upstairs to the bar. Then I cleaned the menus (about 40). Each page spotless. Then I finally got my first customer. I sat them down, got them water, got them chips and salsa. helped them understand the menu. all while still bringing in cups, dishes, silverware from the kitchen where they get washed. I took their order, I picked up took their plates to their table. (do you know how heavy and hot those plates are? try taking 6 plates at the same time and then tell me if "bringing food" is an easy job0. I brought them their drinks that I had to make myself because I didn't have a bartender. I had to keep an eye on them every minute to make sure that they were fine. They called me over for some more salsa. The salsa is downstairs in a huge bucket.. that I have to carry upstairs 3 times a day cause we run out. I cleaned up their table (picking up plates is not east at all, especially when piled up. it weighs a lot), then I have to put the plates and silverware in different places where they get washed. heres a difference between mcdonalds and a restaurant.. mcdonalds doesn't bring you your food, pick up after you, they don't refill your cup while sitting. they dont even talk to you once you've gotten your food. Once they left, I had to clean the table and set it up again. they spilled crumbs on the floor so I had to sweep the floor. I also cleaned the restaurant windows, moped., made desserts, made drinks. and at the end of the day, all those tables i took outside in the morning, I had to bring back in. My server report said I had 80 customers today, so I basically did that 80 times today.. plus helping out the other waiters, and their tables.

so no buddy.. its not easy at all being a waiter. 

and let me break it down..

lets say you go to a restaurant. You order for take out and your total is 25$ (your burger and soda). you leave with your food and thats it.

you come again another day, and order the same exact thing.. but this time you dine in the restaurant. Your total is still 25$.. but someone set up a table for you, they cleaned your glass and dishes, they served you water, all you had to do was sit down and they took care of everything.. you didn't have to stand up and wait for your order. all you did was sit. then after you left.. they cleaned up after you.

when you ordered takeout. no one cleaned up after you, no one washed your utensils.  

Thats why restaurants don't pay waiters as much also, because the food is still the same price regardless of whether you eat in or get take out. the difference is the experience of it. 

Clevereddie wrote:
Here was my day today..
got to the restaurant today at 10am, By myself I had to carry 15 tables outside for our outdoor seating, then I set up our inside tables (20), I also cleaned the tables. and set them up, (cups, napkins, silverware), after that I  had to go downstairs and carry 4 buckets of ice to bring upstairs to the bar. Then I cleaned the menus (about 40). Each page spotless. 

no one says you shouldn't get paid, they're inquiring about the system we use in the states.
all that right there is something your boss should worry about paying you for, not necessarily a customer that might be seated for 25-45 minutes.

I think waiters should get paid appropriately,

I just don't think paying them according to how they bring drinks and take an order is how you get there.

Originally Posted by CHRISblazinNJ

Originally Posted by puddinpopp

op are you black?

laugh.gif
 I'm surprised no one asked this on the first page. But to answer the question, yeah. 
I'm not even tight w/my money.  I just don't understand the premise of tipping. 
not being racist, but now I understand.. Black people for the most part never tip. and when they do its always 5$, its as if you all met up and agreed not to tip or if you do it will be 5$.

Originally Posted by Fantastic4our

dude who got a root beer instead of his coke and left a note definitely possesses too much estrogen.

how you worded this makes me 
laugh.gif

Me and my boys use to write this on the tip part

"stay in school"

or

"can't afford it, rents due"

or

"if I tip, who's gonna pay the light bill?"

"the jays are coming"

Clevereddie wrote:
Here was my day today..
got to the restaurant today at 10am, By myself I had to carry 15 tables outside for our outdoor seating, then I set up our inside tables (20), I also cleaned the tables. and set them up, (cups, napkins, silverware), after that I  had to go downstairs and carry 4 buckets of ice to bring upstairs to the bar. Then I cleaned the menus (about 40). Each page spotless. 
no one says you shouldn't get paid, they're inquiring about the system we use in the states.
all that right there is something your boss should worry about paying you for, not necessarily a customer that might be seated for 25-45 minutes.

I just don't think paying them according to how they bring drinks and take an order is how you get there.

The price of the food is the same regardless if its take out or dining in., but the experience is completely different, from eating at home or eating at a restaurant with friends or significant other. 

A lot of people don't get that eating at a restaurant is an "experience". Thats why you tip, because you expect great service. You tip because you want to go and have people attend to you. the bill has to do with the food you ate. and the tip has to do with your experience at the restaurant. You sitting down and them doing all the work. 

If all waiters got paid the same and there was no gratuity then there would be no customer satisfaction.  

if you don't want to tip, then do all waiters of america a favor and get take out. its the same price, and we don't have to attend to your selfish needs. 

Originally Posted by IHeartBoost

Me and my boys use to write this on the tip part

"stay in school"

or

"can't afford it, rents due"

or

"if I tip, who's gonna pay the light bill?"

"the jays are coming"
Do you go back to the establishment, because if you and your boys are dumb enough to do so, saliva and semen poo poo platter.

Originally Posted by Clevereddie

Clevereddie wrote:
Here was my day today..

The price of the food is the same regardless if its take out or dining in., but the experience is completely different, from eating at home or eating at a restaurant with friends or significant other. 

A lot of people don't get that eating at a restaurant is an "experience". Thats why you tip, because you expect great service. You tip because you want to go and have people attend to you. the bill has to do with the food you ate. and the tip has to do with your experience at the restaurant. You sitting down and them doing all the work. 

If all waiters got paid the same and there was no gratuity then there would be no customer satisfaction.  

I've met some very enjoyable waiters
but I don't agree.

I believe the experience mainly comes from the quality of the food and the company you invite.

I think bad service would be annoying and ruin an experience, but I don't think great service enhances the experience.

you guys are calling people cheap and holding customers accountable for your pay when you really should blame your employers who don't want to pay you at a steady rate so they can lower their overhead.

Everyone seems to buy into this system without questioning it and the employers.

I hate these threads so this is all I'm gonna comment on for the time being:

OP, you didn't sell 50 iPhones in 3 hours. Who are you kidding? It takes 15 minutes MINIMUM to set up an iPhone and that's speeding through every thing without explaining %+$$ to the customer.
laugh.gif

Do the math and tell me how that comes anywhere close to 16+ phones in an hour.

Be nice to them, and they'll treat you right. If you never tip, they'll give you cruddy service.

Originally Posted by imsleepy1234

I don't mind tipping waiters and waitresses. But, I hate tipping valet drivers! You're already paying for the valet service for the car to be brought to you, why do you still have to tip them?
If it's a free valet service, then it's ok to tip.
roll.gif
bro we don't get that cash.  that pays for your car to be parked in the parking ramp.  believe me, we remember you and your car will get the piss driven out of it next time you come back...

goes like this "oh thats that !%%% head in the camry who didn't tip last time.  aight let me hit a time trial to the parking ramp."  you cheap skates need to stay at home. 

btw.  i tipped my server 50% tonight for you scumbags.  guaranteed i get some free drinks and food next time i see her.  like i said we remember.  tipping goes far if you are a regular somewhere. 

if you are a regular somewhere and don't tip may the based gods above have blessed you with a strong immune system.

MPLSdunk wrote:
imsleepy1234 wrote:
I don't mind tipping waiters and waitresses. But, I hate tipping valet drivers! You're already paying for the valet service for the car to be brought to you, why do you still have to tip them?

goes like this "oh thats that !%%% head in the camry who didn't tip last time.  aight let me hit a time trial to the parking ramp."  you cheap skates need to stay at home. 

see this is what pisses me off. how can you waiters and other custmer service folks call people cheap skates when you make less then 10 dollars a hr.

like some of  you WAITERS need to get off yall high horses, your job is to serve people, nobody owes you anything.  if you dont like how some people tip you then step up your service or talk to your employer. and stop $%%$+@* complaining.

MPLSdunk wrote:
imsleepy1234 wrote:

see this is what pisses me off. how can you waiters and other custmer service folks call people cheap skates when you make less then 10 dollars a hr.

like some of  you WAITERS need to get off yall high horses, your job is to serve people, nobody owes you anything.  if you dont like how some people tip you then step up your service or talk to your employer. and stop $%%$+@* complaining.

i work in a 5 star restaurant boss.  server too, i'm not just a valet.  you do owe something.  20% tip or else we'd just tax you 20% more on the food and make commission.  believe me the service is top notch.  it's one of the top 3 restaurants in the metro area. most new servers don't last a week in there before they are fired.  you don't tip a server you'll be black listed and not allowed back. 
laugh.gif
  we're on a waiting list every night.  no one needs to cater to ungrateful people over here. like i said, too cheap to tip.  take it to outback steakhouse.

believe it or not some spots wont tolerate a bunch of non tipping heathens demanding to be treated like gods.  then again i'd imagine most dudes in here complaining about tipping would never dare step foot in a fine dining establishment.

nobody's complaining. some of you guys would be mad embarrassing to go out with though, i hope you at least tip on dates.  girls don't dig that.
laugh.gif

1311875540_delta_force_chuck_norris__deal_with_it.gif

MPLSdunk wrote:

MPLSdunk wrote:

i work in a 5 star restaurant boss.  server too, i'm not just a valet.  you do owe something.  20% tip or else we'd just tax you 20% more on the food and make commission.  believe me the service is top notch.  it's one of the top 3 restaurants in the metro area. most new servers don't last a week in there before they are fired.  you don't tip a server you'll be black listed and not allowed back. 
laugh.gif
  we're on a waiting list every night.  no one needs to cater to ungrateful people over here. like i said, too cheap to tip.  take it to outback steakhouse.

believe it or not some spots wont tolerate a bunch of non tipping heathens demanding to be treated like gods.  then again i'd imagine most dudes in here complaining about tipping would never dare step foot in a fine dining establishment.

nobody's complaining. some of you guys would be mad embarrassing to go out with though, i hope you at least tip on dates.  girls don't dig that.
laugh.gif

well i eat at top notch food eblishments quite often, and the service there is unreal. Ruth Chris send you a letter in the mail thanking you by your name. never seen such service in my live, i left dude a 60 dollar tip easly. but im not talking bout the top notch places.

im talking bout the applebees and red lobsters. Waiter at these places are outta their damn mind. These are the waiters im talking too, they act like you are getting on their nerves if you ask for a refill. its disgusting. im talking about many of these places not just a couple. its like employers dont push good service at these places.

now a place i will say i will always take care of my server is at a bar or club. i mean thats a unspoken rule.

on another note you guys need to kill trying to show a girl how good you tip. like that earns you cool points in their book or something. if a girl is worried about how much you tip, shes not a good look.

MPLSdunk wrote:

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

well i eat at top notch food eblishments quite often, and the service there is unreal. Ruth Chris send you a letter in the mail thanking you by your name. never seen such service in my live, i left dude a 60 dollar tip easly. but im not talking bout the top notch places.

im talking bout the applebees and red lobsters. Waiter at these places are outta their damn mind. These are the waiters im talking too, they act like you are getting on their nerves if you ask for a refill. its disgusting. im talking about many of these places not just a couple. its like employers dont push good service at these places.

now a place i will say i will always take care of my server is at a bar or club. i mean thats a unspoken rule.

on another note you guys need to kill trying to show a girl how good you tip. like that earns you cool points in their book or something. if a girl is worried about how myuc 

yea we send letters and the customers come back and give us gifts on the regular.  what goes around comes around i guess.

that's real though if the service is trash and they are acting like that eff them.  i'm more talking about the dudes who NEVER tip no matter where they are.

for sure you always need to take care of your bartender.  i was in the club one time getting a drink at last call.  dude handed me 5 red stripes and told me thanks.  now that's love.
pimp.gif
tipping doesn't ever go wrong in a club.  even if you aren't getting free drinks they'll at least be stronger the second time around.

i'm not saying trick off on the server in front of your girl.  if you flat out don't tip or throw 5% that looks pretty damn bad though.  i cant stand a girl who doesn't tip right. it's embarrassing.  i'd think they feel the same.

I basically tip because i dont feel like hearing it from other people. I dont expect any kind of "experience". Bring me my food, walk away, bring me my check. thats all i expect out of a server. i dont want to be interrupted every 5 minutes because the waitress thinks she has to earn more by talking more. I came to the restraunt to spend time with whoever and not the server who brings me food.

And as far as people who dont tip being cheap, thats a load right there. that might be the case for some but not all.

Its pretty sad when the comments about poo poo platter or time trials are being made to almost scare people into tipping. these are the individuals who need to take a look at their own lives and figure out why they suck so bad

Lol at this guy thinking he's #bawse cuz he work at a high end restaurant...

Fambs... You park cars and take orders. A license and third grade comprehension skills are requirements for the job... Chill out some...

not tipping its kinda wack, but for you to call somebody weak cuz they don't understand the concept is uber lame.

I personally always tip. 15% or 20% if they are really nice and take care of me. Its just common courtesy. Quit being cheap and complaining. Not taking your money with you when you die. Just my 2¢.

Back
Top Bottom