Tipping when picking up food from a restaurant...yay or nay

Where I work, we don't grat parties unless it's twelve or more and they call ahead. Also, if they place that reservation and the manager doesn't tell them that they'll be grat'ed, then I legally can't
9/10 if they're going to automatically include gratuity then it's going to be right there on the menu...

when picking up I never really thought about how much to tip...

If using cash, I leave the coins. If credit/debit, no tip.

eating in...

from 0-20% tip.

Damn, now this subject has even included being raised wrong by parents?
Seriously?

Honestly, $2-$3 isn't even the point. Upbringing nor religion isn't the point.
If you are merely packing the food an handing it, it is not the same as serving a sit-in service.
In a sit-in service you have to constantly make sure everything is ok, the utensils and be kind and tend to the customers.
If the food is picked up, the food is already made and they just have to pack it, similar to buying at a McDonalds or Jack in the Box.
You don't had to deal with the server or cashier for the whole meal and they do not even have to clean up after the customer.
So saying that the work is the same, you must be a little crazy.

I am not defending being cheap because I always tip when I see it fit, but come on now, the norm for tipping is already 18%-20% in most restaurant and I thinkthat is good enough.
In Australia, tipping isn't customary at all and if you leave a tip, they'll run to you and return the money to you thinking you forgot it.
**I can't wait for the wise crack comment of "Why don't you live in Australia then?"**

The point is, it is their job. Sure they do not make much money but there has to be a ceiling to where you need to stop tipping.
To the people who are so passionately defending tipping so much, next time you visit a fast food restaurant like KFC, McDonalds, etc...
Think about it if you have considered tipping there because isn't it a bit unfair not to tip those guys by your logic?
They probably make a lot less than those that work at a regular restaurant.

Back
Top Bottom