Tipping when picking up food from a restaurant...yay or nay

i cant believe people expect a tip for putting a container in a bag with some utensils and handing it over to someone when they pick it up. ridiculous
laugh.gif

These guys want tips for putting your food in a bag now too? !%#*, it'd be easier to just list who doesn't have to be tipped.

Originally Posted by Yimoney23

Not really. Unless the girl looks hot i'll leave her a good tips. Other then that, no.

that's a waste if you aren't getting anything in return.

Originally Posted by tmukg21

Originally Posted by rocman23

I never tip, and ppl talking bout it's not part of their job and it's an inconvience are wrong. I use to work at a restaaraunt and taking orders and preparing them to go was part of my job. I didn't expect tips but when
i got them I was happy. Ppl who work at carryout restaraunts or prepare your to-go order don't rely on tips so I don't tip them

thank you.

that is your job , dudes making it sound like a difficult process.
grin.gif
(So this is gonna be a long post, but I think some people need some light shed on what's going on when they get ANY service at arestaurant...)

That's not ALWAYS the case. Not all restaurants are the same. At my job the bartenders take care of all that. To ensure accuracy, they have to get out frombehind the bar and their other tables, go to the line, check to make sure everything's right (which in a large order can take some time), then box it all.All that ON TOP of exceptional service to everyone else they're serving. You all expect perfect service all the time, but if you took a ten minute shift ona Friday night you'd shoot yourself in the face. You say "It doesn't take that long to do it." Watch your clock in silence for thirtyseconds...that's a long time in a customer's eyes to go without a drink being refilled even though the server/bartender just set it down secondsearlier. I'm not saying that you should be tipping 20% on take out orders-- not at all, but a few bucks wouldn't kill you.

For those of you that never tip, (in most restaurants) your server paid for you to take up their time. The restaurant I work in requires servers to tip out 3%of their sales split between foodrunners, bartenders, and bussers. So if you blow $100 bucks and leave me nothing, you just cost me $3 and about an hour ofhard work and the opportunity cost of $20 from another $100 check where the customers tipped appropriately. So you essentially cost me $23 bucks by me bustingmy *%%.

For the record, that $2.13 an hour I make doesn't even cover my taxes. I wrote a $200 check to Uncle Sam earlier this year for the Incom Tax on my claimed(credit) tips.

Had one of these situations come up last week- I went to Olive Garden for some take out on my lunch break. The person who took my order was the bartender.Normally, if I were eating in, I'd tip. But, this was take out. At the same time, if I had ordered a drink from the very same bartender, I would havetipped. I honestly didn't know what the right thing to do was. In the end, I didn't tip but I felt a little weird about it.

Cry me a river. Who forced you into waitressing? And you can try to make it sound super complex all you want, you're putting food in a box. But oh,don't forget I have to make sure the order was right. Receipt paper says potatoes, are these potatoes in this box. Again, an adolescent could do that.What are we tipping you for again, definitely not some specialized skillset, just for doing what's required of you in your job description?

People like to use the well I only get paid the +$+%*@ plus tips minimum wage, like that's the consumer's fault. It's really a crappy system thatallows employers to deter a huge chunk of their operating costs onto the consumer by modes of guilt and some ambiguous, unenforcable "code." Andthere's still plenty of jobs that do make normal pay who have their hands out for tips, shuttle bus drivers, cab drivers, hotel employees, guy who checksyour bags at the airport, doormen, you damn near can't do anything anymore without people holding their hand out and then looking at you sideways if youdon't break them off, and hell even if you do they want more.

Let's just do some math right quick, in Oklahoma minimum wage is like 2.55$, regular is 6.55$ Assuming you have just 10, which obviously liberally low whoall work 40 hours a week, 40 hoursx52 week=2080hrs x 4.00$ an hour saved, you save 8,320.00$ per employee alone.

Every job is providing some sort of service so using a word that broad to rationalize it isn't holding much weight. Dude at Footlocker grabbing the size13s out the back is a service, a web designer building your website is a service, one I'd feel much more inclined to tip for frankly since being thatit's a specialized service that not everybody can just do, IMO, it's that much more valuable.

It's a joke how cheap you guys are. It's a lousy 2-3 dollars. And don't say well it's only 2-3 dollars why should the server care.

No, because a tip is payment for someone "waiting" on you. Also, I hate having to write 0 when I pay for take-out. It just makes you feel cheap eventhough there is no reason to tip.

I think the elephant in the room (niketalk) is that a lot of you are broke and/or weren't raised properly. I never od on tipping but have some respect forpeople, jeez.

Last weekend I was home and wanted a burger..so I ordered a burger and onion rings from Capital Grille..bartender took my order (over the phone) and I greetedme when I went there to pick it up.. Brings me the tab, it's like $21..I tipped like $4..asked me if I wanted a drink while I waited..I said yea, let meget stella (btl of beer)... Food came, he tossed in a fiji water for the road and said the bottle of beer was on him. Nice guy. I didn't tip expectinganything, I was just trying to help out a bartender who looked to be having a slow night. All about good karma.

eh, its their job. them simply bagging your order is like someone at footlocker getting your size sneaker from the back and bringing it to you and opening thebox and taking the insert out and fixing the laces for you....do you tip that person?

Originally Posted by snow pl0w

I think the elephant in the room (niketalk) is that a lot of you are broke and/or weren't raised properly. I never od on tipping but have some respect for people, jeez.

Last weekend I was home and wanted a burger..so I ordered a burger and onion rings from Capital Grille..bartender took my order (over the phone) and I greeted me when I went there to pick it up.. Brings me the tab, it's like $21..I tipped like $4..asked me if I wanted a drink while I waited..I said yea, let me get stella (btl of beer)... Food came, he tossed in a fiji water for the road and said the bottle of beer was on him. Nice guy. I didn't tip expecting anything, I was just trying to help out a bartender who looked to be having a slow night. All about good karma.
Devil's advocate here, but if you work a job the primary responsibility of which is putting food in a box, maybe you weren'traised right.

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

Cry me a river. Who forced you into waitressing? And you can try to make it sound super complex all you want, you're putting food in a box. But oh, don't forget I have to make sure the order was right. Receipt paper says potatoes, are these potatoes in this box. Again, an adolescent could do that. What are we tipping you for again, definitely not some specialized skillset, just for doing what's required of you in your job description?

People like to use the well I only get paid the +$+%*@ plus tips minimum wage, like that's the consumer's fault. It's really a crappy system that allows employers to deter a huge chunk of their operating costs onto the consumer by modes of guilt and some ambiguous, unenforcable "code." And there's still plenty of jobs that do make normal pay who have their hands out for tips, shuttle bus drivers, cab drivers, hotel employees, guy who checks your bags at the airport, doormen, you damn near can't do anything anymore without people holding their hand out and then looking at you sideways if you don't break them off, and hell even if you do they want more.

Let's just do some math right quick, in Oklahoma minimum wage is like 2.55$, regular is 6.55$ Assuming you have just 10, which obviously liberally low who all work 40 hours a week, 40 hoursx52 week=2080hrs x 4.00$ an hour saved, you save 8,320.00$ per employee alone.

Every job is providing some sort of service so using a word that broad to rationalize it isn't holding much weight. Dude at Footlocker grabbing the size 13s out the back is a service, a web designer building your website is a service, one I'd feel much more inclined to tip for frankly since being that it's a specialized service that not everybody can just do, IMO, it's that much more valuable.

I'm not saying it's terribly difficult, I'm saying that doing that IN ADDITION to taking care of several other tables is not easy. For the mostpart, people that call in are calling in a huge order anyways. Also, no one FORCED me into it. I'm a full time student and the hours are right, butit's a pretty taxing job too physically and I don't have time during the weekends to do anything else. It just so happens that I'm pretty good atmy job and I like the environment and the people I work with. If you don't tip on a to-go order, I'm not gonna be upset. If you don't tip when yousit at my table for two hours during prime-time, you can bet that the next time you come in and sit at my table that I'll remember you. I don't pullany of that petty "spit in the food" crap (in fact, no one I work with would) but my other customers will have my attention more than you do.

To the ##$#%$ pay bit: it's part of the exchange of having that job between my employer and I and I never blamed it on anyone. I understand that theyprovide an opportunity to sell their food and get paid based on my service and what the customer thinks it's worthy of in exchange for my service. I'mwas primarily pointing that out to the people that are still under the impression that servers get paid an hourly wage in addition to tips; in most cases,that's false.

Your analogy to that of a FL employee was poor, and here's why. Let's say on average a FL has 10 customers in their store and they're the onlyperson working at the time. HIGHLY improbable, but not impossible. That employee gets paid an hourly wage whether or not they do their job in a timely manner.Yes, they may get fired if the customer complains, but let's face it--few people do. (For the record, I wish people would be more proactive aboutcomplaining about awful service because I work with people that I DESPISE working with and I really wish they'd get some hours cut. THAT is theconsumer's fault.) Anyways, wages aside, bringing out ten pairs of shoes all at once IF they had to is not entirely impossible either. Four pairs don'tfit their prospective customers, bring out four more. Cash out the other six, then the last four when they're ready and put away the other pairs of shoes.Your job is done. I'm not saying that their job is any less deserving of praise, but their pay is set for them as well as several other factors that wewon't get into.

I'm not here to flame any one or get into arguments, I'm just here to inform people of how this works. If you read all this and still think that noteven leaving a dollar for a to go order is necessary then that's on you and I can do nothing about it. (While you're thinking about that, think abouthow many people you've met that do absolutely nothing for you, yet you'll bum them a buck or two to get a drink without even questioning the value of adollar.)

EDIT: For the "It's only one lousy dollar--why should the server care?" Well, we care because if that happens twenty times in one night,that's $20. You guys are also the same people that want to get the poorer parts of America out of poverty and go on and on about how Obama's going tosave us all but then you make fun of people working in a food service business because it's a lowly job.

Sorry for those of you that just read the last part and realized how many times you've done that and have now come to the realization that you have asuperiority complex. I know reality is a %%@%!.

The only people complaining about not tipping are the ones who work in a restaurant. Seriously, if I go inside to pick up my own food you are not getting adime more than the bill.

What do you mean it's their job? Like my story from post #87, the bartender at the restaurant was "doing his job" checking with the kitchen twicefor my food to be ready..leaving his bar to go check..then making sure everything was in it (ket, dijon, mayo, etc)..but if he made my girl and I a couplevodka tonics while we waited for a table, which takes all of 60 seconds, I'd prob toss him $3-4, so why wouldn't I do the same while he leaves his barfor a bit to go prep my to go order? Not to mention I had him take a phone order, which also took him away from the bar for a bit..You guys sound soooocheap..and not the millionaire kinda cheap- the broke cheap. Grow up, toss your poor servers a couple bucks and maybe some good karma will come your way andhelp your (most likely) salty life situation *waits for responses from all the niketalk "ballers"*

**full disclosure: I've NEVER ever worked in the rest biz, and don't know anyone who has--i guess my parents just raised me to be courteous ..gee howabout that..

tipping for pick up shouldn't be needed but I still do. If I was a server I wouldn't be mad if someone didn't tip me if they ordered for pick up.What pisses me off is when people dine in, have over a $100 tab and tip $5. I'm not even a server, but when I see that I'm just pissed. If you gonna becheap stay home and eat.

Originally Posted by eLNiNo4530

Same thing I wrote in the last thread:

Everyone sayin don't tip on carryout has obviously never worked in a restaurant.

They're doing the same job, and it's more inconvenient to them.

They pause what they're doing to take your carryout order, write the order and then box it, put all the silverware, napkins, etc. in and have it ready for you. You should tip them the same or close to what you would tip them if they waited on you.
They're at work, thats like saying tip your wal mart register person to because its inconvenient to scan your item. School is school and workis work.

It would be nice to be able to tip them or anybody that does a service for you but not a lot of people are really that caring.

It depends on the person giving me the food. They have about 60 seconds to make an impression on me. Either you can put some effort into it and walk out with atip at a fraction of the time and effort a regular table would take. Or you can turn me around and throw me out with the food. Which will net you nothing.

arrjae wrote:
JayHood23 wrote:
When you pick it up they should be tipping you

WORD!
but NAY...

laugh.gif

I still think its a part of their job and they weren't my server. Saying they got pulled from the bar or the table they were waiting doesn't persuademe cuz the same could be said when they are serving a table that isn't mine if i'm sitting down inside.

Originally Posted by BgL2687

tipping for pick up shouldn't be needed but I still do. If I was a server I wouldn't be mad if someone didn't tip me if they ordered for pick up. What pisses me off is when people dine in, have over a $100 tab and tip $5. I'm not even a server, but when I see that I'm just pissed. If you gonna be cheap stay home and eat.

I have no problem calling out cheap friends..none of my friends are lame enough to stiff/$0 tip a waitress, but we all come from families where it won'tkill us to leave the poor waitress 18-20%..I will call a friend out if I see him try to leave 10% or something..most waitresses are there as a last resort, orpaying their way through school or something..I'm not the type to make their night with a $100 tip or anything, but I'm def not the type to ruin hernight by jipping her..that's weak..some of you are trying to sound extra pompous- get off your horse..not tipping your applebees waitress doesn't makeyou cool..I read an article a few years back that you can tell a lot about a persons future by the way they treat help..future doesn't look very bright fora lot of you.

NT has had this discussion plenty of times before Nikeair, the complaining isn't as bad in here as it usually is because the same culprits seemed to havesat the last ones out. But there are some guys who get all upset about how they only make 2 or 3 bucks and use that as the crux of their argument of why weshould tip them.

I know at Olive Garden in Cali, we had a party of 5 so they automatically added the gratuity of 18% in, yet we ended up sat literally like a foot from thekitchen window, and despite being totally inattentive, when she did do something, all it consisted of is writing down "strawberry bahama mama" orwhatever, pivot towards the kitchen, hand it to them, hear them ring the bell, grab the drink, pivot back towards us, and hand it to me, and they auto chargedlike an extra 54$ for that (we had a lot of those overpriced #$% watered down drinks). !%%@ was hilarious when she was explaining why they auto put it inthere. She couldn't come up with nothing other than "well you guys got 5 people." Money would have been much better spent on strippers orsomething.

Back
Top Bottom