To My IT Famb

I'm interested in IT too but the thing with me is not having background experience. Even with entry level positions they want you to have some type of experience

Certs?

Only get certs if your employer will pay for it. Otherwise, experience + people you know > *

Anyone else going crazy over the new Cloud BS every business wants now?

Biggest pain in my butt doing all these risk assessments.

Thanks for this bros. I've been studying, planning to take the A+ soon to make the resume more attractive, maybe Network+ before the summer is over, I heard they're changing the tests come July.

I suggest you get a internship even if it's unpaid in IT.

The Microsoft Windows 7 certifications should help you land a basic desktop support job.

IT fambs, I'm finna take this A+ 701 joint next week. Any tips or anything you can share to help a young brotha out?

A+ is just the basic PC tech test, right? I never took that one, but from talking wtih people I think it is just a basic pc test and if you have read over anything and are pretty tech savy and built pcs yourself or anything you should be fine.

For any field of I.T. there are plenty of certs you can get, but you have determine which field you want to go into.

Just starting out, I would try to grab some of the CompTIA certs (Network+, Security+, A+) & pair them with an OS cert (Windows 7). From here you can kind of see which one you prefer more and wouldn't mind getting further knowledge in.

Here are some more certs that you could consider as you get further along as well.

Programming - Java & .NET are the main big 2
Security - Security+, CISSP, CEH
Network - Network+, Cisco CCNA/CCNP/CCDA/CCDP, Juniper Networking certs are fairly popular/common as well, but Cisco is just everywhere
Server/Systems - Security+, Micorsoft MCITP (Active Directory, Systems Administration, Networking, Enterprise Administration), Vmware VCP

Of course you can specialize in the systems and grab:
Exchange, SharePoint, Databases (SQL & Oracle are the big guys), Storage (NetApp, CommVault, EMC), Linux

Like most have said, you will want to get a company to pay for most of these tests as they can be pricey to take and to get study material for and go to training. But these are the big ones that people generally get and companies like to see for the most part.

Last edited:
I passed my Security+ last month :pimp:.

Would love to take the CISSP yet, but don't have the required experience next. We had a FBI cyber security analyst speak to us during one of my IS classes and said CISSP will give you a pretty substantial pay raise

Last edited:
A+ is just the basic PC tech test, right? I never took that one, but from talking wtih people I think it is just a basic pc test and if you have read over anything and are pretty tech savy and built pcs yourself or anything you should be fine..

Yeah it's the basic stuff but I'm paying $183 outta pocket for this so I wanna make sure I pass. I'm just trying to make sure I know all the terminology and what not. Trying to finesse this into an entry level gig that will pay for the other certs going forth.

The CompTia site has a basic study guide and some practice questions, as well as practicequiz.com for a bunch of the exams.

Last edited:
Yeah it's the basic stuff but I'm paying $183 outta pocket for this so I wanna make sure I pass. I'm just trying to make sure I know all the terminology and what not. Trying to finesse this into an entry level gig that will pay for the other certs going forth.

The CompTIA site has a basic study guide and some practice questions, as well as practicequiz.com for a bunch of the exams.
I just passed the first part of the A+ exam (220-801). I read Mike Meyer's prep book and took a number of the practice exams. Also, a VERY good study resource is Professor Messer's website, www.professormesser.com . He has a bunch of free YouTube videos covering the CompTIA exams.

You can go the test dump route and pass with ease. There's even an Android app for VCE files but you should really make an effort to know the material. The simulation questions can kill you if you don't know your stuff (e.g., RAID Arrays, motherboard components, building PCs for specific purposes).

Right now, I'm working on upgrading and re-configuring an old desktop of mine to get some hands-on experience before I take the 802 and complete the A+. Then next up are the Net+ and Sec+.

The IT dept at my job is letting me shadow them and said they'll bring me on when they have an opening. I'm aiming to get into the network security and information assurance field. I have a degree in Econ so I gotta get in anywhere just to get experience and work my way up. Six figures before 30 is the goal.

I passed my Security+ last month :pimp:.

Would love to take the CISSP yet, but don't have the required experience next. We had a FBI cyber security analyst speak to us during one of my IS classes and said CISSP will give you a pretty substantial pay raise
Yea the CISSP is a big time cert. A few years ago, you could almost pick your salary with it, but so many people have it now it isn't as hot but still will definitely give you a pay bump for sure.

I have about 5 friends that I hang out with that have it. Interestingly enough they all are in different IT fields covering networking, storage, systems and IA/Security . I myself am also a systems integrator/engineer as well. If there are any specific questions you want me to answer or ask my friends in the other sectors for you guys just let me know.

Yea the CISSP is a big time cert. A few years ago, you could almost pick your salary with it, but so many people have it now it isn't as hot but still will definitely give you a pay bump for sure.

I have about 5 friends that I hang out with that have it. Interestingly enough they all are in different IT fields covering networking, storage, systems and IA/Security . I myself am also a systems integrator/engineer as well. If there are any specific questions you want me to answer or ask my friends in the other sectors for you guys just let me know.

You got any more info on the ethical hacking cert?

I'm a business major with the option of IT management. Anyone know of jobs to get or do from that degree?

What types of IT jobs did yall have before yall got into the cyber security field?

I'm doing help desk work now while still in school and I hate it. I'll take another help desk position at a different company if it means I can work my way into the InfoSec department though.
I've found plenty of entry level cyber security and IA jobs as well. Most are in the DMV area.

I got a job at a consulting firm about 2 months after i graduated in IT..

no certificates :smokin and my job is chill..

some jobs actually help you get certificates so you can be more qualified. I am actually gonna try to get one this summer just for the hell of it

I got a job at a consulting firm about 2 months after i graduated in IT..

no certificates :smokin and my job is chill..

some jobs actually help you get certificates so you can be more qualified. I am actually gonna try to get one this summer just for the hell of it

What type of IT consulting? (Network,Security,VoIP). And is it at a big firm? I ask because I am doing Microsoft Lync consulting for a firm in Chicago.

I would have to say the A+ test is pretty worthless ive had it since I was 16. Alot of employers see it as a VERY BASIC cert. 

I want to get some good certs before I graduate Computer Science next December, but I dont want to pay for it. My Dad keeps telling me dont waste my time or money now your employer will pay for it once you get a full time job.

I would have to say the A+ test is pretty worthless ive had it since I was 16. Alot of employers see it as a VERY BASIC cert. 
I want to get some good certs before I graduate Computer Science next December, but I dont want to pay for it. My Dad keeps telling me dont waste my time or money now your employer will pay for it once you get a full time job.

CS is less cert based anyway. Well depending on what you plan on doing

Back
Top Bottom