To My IT Famb

It depends on what part of the country you live in.

Security+ is easy to pass like the rest of the Comptia exams.
i'm in maryland, ol girl told me sec+ was the bees knees for entry level stuff.  is it easy to pass?  i heard mad people had to take it a couple times.

i'm in maryland, ol girl told me sec+ was the bees knees for entry level stuff.  is it easy to pass?  i heard mad people had to take it a couple times.

It's something you'll have to study for. But the information itself is easy to retain. I passed easily

She lyin bro... I work in a pretty large Enterprise, nobody really cares about Comptia certs. Security+ is hella simple. I bought a book read it and passed the test in 4 weeks. It's not what I would consider a professional certification like Cisco or Microsoft certs and if you have taken either you would know the difference. The only reason I co-sign on Network+ is that it helps you troubleshoot basic network issues and gives you some building blocks like understanding TCP/IP and the OSI layer, other than that I would set your sights on something that is more challenging that will help you stand out in a crowd.

i got a business/econ degree, but been thinkin i might want to try working in the IT/ computer industry..any advice or certifications i need to get started?

She lyin bro... I work in a pretty large Enterprise, nobody really cares about Comptia certs. Security+ is hella simple. I bought a book read it and passed the test in 4 weeks. It's not what I would consider a professional certification like Cisco or Microsoft certs and if you have taken either you would know the difference. The only reason I co-sign on Network+ is that it helps you troubleshoot basic network issues and gives you some building blocks like understanding TCP/IP and the OSI layer, other than that I would set your sights on something that is more challenging that will help you stand out in a crowd.

Agreed.

I'm just going to agree to disagree with you guys in regards to the Security+ certification. Like I said, I've seen numerous applications for entry level positions that require you to have it.

i got a business/econ degree, but been thinkin i might want to try working in the IT/ computer industry..any advice or certifications i need to get started?

depends what you field you're interested in. If you want to do work involving networks look into Network+ and CCNA

Any of y'all familiar with IT Asset Management? I have an interview tomorrow for an intern in ITAM and I'm not entirely sure what it is. I understand the basis of it but I'm not familiar with it enough as I would like to be

cool, good looks.  was planning on doing microsoft certs as well.  ccna was almost in the books but at the time couldn't scrape the cash together.  still gonna grab the sec+ if it's that easy, better to have it and not need it.

^
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Last edited:
In the DMV area, the Sec+ only talked about now is because to work for DoD or contract for them you are required to have it. I believe it is the 8570 standard they call it. You are supposed to be certified on whatever system you are hired for, and everyone is supposed to, at minimum have Sec+ also. Once you move into management and higher IA positions, you have to have the CISSP to be in those positions I believe. That is the only reason I tell people to even look at that cert or why I have it myself as well.

I'm just going to agree to disagree with you guys in regards to the Security+ certification. Like I said, I've seen numerous applications for entry level positions that require you to have it.

depends what you field you're interested in. If you want to do work involving networks look into Network+ and CCNA

It certainly doesn't hurt if you're entry level to have comptia certs, and they are required for DOD jobs, but be in the field for a while and you'll realize he's not wrong.

In the DMV area, the Sec+ only talked about now is because to work for DoD or contract for them you are required to have it. I believe it is the 8570 standard they call it. You are supposed to be certified on whatever system you are hired for, and everyone is supposed to, at minimum have Sec+ also. Once you move into management and higher IA positions, you have to have the CISSP to be in those positions I believe. That is the only reason I tell people to even look at that cert or why I have it myself as well.

This is incorrect. I am an IT contractor for the DOD on Ft. Belvoir.. 0 certs.

Last edited:
A lot of good info in here bros, thanks for this. I wish I would have learned about some of this **** a looooooong time ago, I would have started on this path a lot earlier.

After a lot of back and forth, about to start on SSCP and follow that up with CEH. Hope to have both by end of July at the latest.

to get into cyber security, take a TCP/Firewall class.  Get certified in switches/routers/vlans/subnets/gateways etc.

Future is in Xen, Citrix, Vdi's...anything VM.

This is incorrect. I am an IT contractor for the DOD on Ft. Belvoir.. 0 certs.

Say what you want but I have been contracting in Quantico for 6 years and my previous company was having a big push to get every IT personnel at least sec+ when the initiative first came about. The company I am with now, all people have it and every position open is 6 months from hire date to get it if you do not have it already. I had to supply the certification information to the IA department of the agency we are supporting to send to their headquarters for records. I even have people on my team from DITRA and other places from Ft. Belvoir and they had it coming from there. HQ will email also if you are coming close to needing to recertify you certs as well.

Just because you don't have it doesn't mean you shouldn't. I have friends and family from Quantico to MD and they all have had to get it for the branch/agency they support.

Last edited:
Good looks WrightOne86. I will be getting the Sec+ cert this summer Id rather be ahead of the game come graduation next December

My plan is to get my A+ by August so I can take the 7 series before CompTIA nixes it. Then I'll be moving on to MS Windows 7 certs. I'm also considering attending Western Governors University to grab my bachelors.

No problem Beezy. Definitely feel you on that. It's not like it would hurt you to have it, especially if you are going the IA route. I can say when I graduated, I did not have any certs, but I was fortunate enough to be on my 2nd internship and the company I was with picked me up FT once I finished my degree up and I went from there.

My plan is to get my A+ by August so I can take the 7 series before CompTIA nixes it. Then I'll be moving on to MS Windows 7 certs. I'm also considering attending Western Governors University to grab my bachelors.

Yeah I was thinking that too. Seeing dudes finish in one semester due to already existing credits/certs/experience is encouraging. That way I can move on to masters (more personal goal than professional).

Back
Top Bottom