What changes will/can Orlando make for next season?

im not you

Banned
History says that after demoralizing defeats in the playoffs when expectations are high...mass changes come next. They're so far over the cap, they can't play in the market this summer and some of the contracts are less than desirable to find trade partners for. I know 80% of the comments here will say "Dwight needs a post game" but obviously more changes need to be made. People need to understand Dwight is what he is. A dominant defensive player who will kill you on offense more often than not because he's just more athletic/stronger than everyone else. It's easy for people to point out his flaws when he's playing against the ONE team, with the ONE genius defensive assistant, and the right combo of big men to neutralize his strengths. That's when the "he sucks, he has no post game" comments start flying...but when he's dunking at will and there's nothing you can do to stop him and he finishes with 30 and 20...everyone's quiet.

With that said, I think Orlando's management should figure out a way to go to plan B to defeat teams like Boston in this type of scenario. The only person they have who can create his own offense is Vince Carter...and he's...Vince Carter. Jameer Nelson is capable of taking guys off the dribble, but his game is not essential for the type of offense they need to be running. Rashard Lewis (outside of the Cleveland series last year) has been VERY ineffective for the talent he possesses.

What realistic changes can be made to this team for next season? Its's obvious heads have to fly somewhere.

I can see them canning Stan Van, just because but from a roster perspective they are "stuck" with this squad for at least another year, perhaps 2. Alot of bloated contracts on this team.

May be some silver lining, they may have valuable trade pieces in players like Gortat & Bass so there may be some wiggle room there.

Dwight has been in this league since 2004, people need to realize that if he hasn't developed the post game now more than likely it isn't coming anywhere in the near future. If it does, it won't be that significant IMO. But Howard needs to smarten up. Learn how to tweak your game a little bit when you have 4 fouls.

I think SVG needs to go. These rotations that he has don't cut it and some of them are just head scratching most of the time. You sign Bass to this big contract in the offseason and play him less than 5 minutes per game? When you can use him alongside Dwight when Rashard obviously is struggling. Hell, if you wanted someone in there to jack up jumpshots all game and not play any defense, put Ryan Anderson in. His best lineup would have been Nelson, Redick, Lewis, Gortat and Howard. Jameer is a good player but no reason he should be averaging less than 5 assists per game.

The blueprint is pretty much out there to beat them. If you play Howard tight and defend the three, their perimeter players won't beat you off the dribble. The biggest flaw IMO of the Cavs and Magic is that they built teams to beat each other.

They just look lost on the offensive end in these three games and as much as that is a testament to Boston's defense but it's a glaring look at SVG's rotations throughout this season and how badly he uses his players.

Originally Posted by WE GET MONEY

Go back in time and keep Hedo and not sign Vince

I dont agree with this considering the $$$$ and # of years it would have taken to keep him.  Shortsighted move with long term ramifications. 

No..... I say they get Quincy Pondexter in the draft and get another backup PG, because J-Will isn't getting the job done. Or take a PG in the draft. We're in desperately in need of a backup playmaker. 

Go back in time and play Brandon Bass to add a sliver of post game to offset their inability to hit three pointers
Fixed.

i don't see MAJOR problems in their line up, aside from bass playing minimal mins. their sharpshooters complement dwight's inside presence, though they lack a good playmaker. gotta give credit to the boston defense not allowing orlando to take easy shots. probably it's the coaching IMO.
ohwell.gif

And they still get blasted by the Celtics. So I'm not seeing where that helps much. If anything...looking at Hedo post contract (as everyone expected)...it's probably best that they didn't keep Hedo.

If I was GM/Owner....

• Trade Jameer.
  • Start Bass.
  • Rashard to the 3.
  • Move VC to a 6th man role.
  • Van Gundy must go.

VC is getting abused by Pierce the whole series though. Hedo had the length to bother Pierce and wouldn't have missed those free throws
indifferent.gif
And I think Hedo through the season plays a lot differently than he did in Canada - SVG wouldn't have put up with him dogging it.

Regardless, going back in time is not an option, and all of a sudden, it seems that Orlando has hit a ceiling. Rondo's ability to shut down Jameer really highlighted their deficiencies. They have to see if they can get some talent late in the draft a la Marcus Thornton (I like the Poindexter suggestion), and bring better defensive intensity and toughness - easier said than done.

Bottom line is Celtics D is world class right now, and Orlando cannot handle getting punched in the mouth repeatedly.

Then who does Rashard guard? He can't check Pierce or Allen.

EDIT: I'm Not You -
laugh.gif
I can't explain that...although Rashard has the flu...and I was referring the regular season anyways

When you look at that team, does it seem like they should be better than they are? I certainly don't think so.

I think they have a ton of work to do, roster-wise.

They need to do anything they can to move on from the Nelson, Carter and Lewis "trio." Re-sign Barnes. Re-sign Redick. Make Gortat and Pietrus available.

Objective: find a true point guard and a go-to shooting guard.

It might sound crazy, but I think starting Ryan Anderson at the 4 could do a lot for them offensively.

This Orlando team struggled with Boston last year tho...with Hedo...and without the Celtics having KG. Add Sheed, more minutes from Tony Allen, better health from the entire team...this shouldn't be much of a surprise to see them facing elimination. I'm just shocked that the entire team has taken on VC's heart.

I'd be willing to bet money Orlando quietly pushes HARD after Udonis Haslem, with their MLE this off-season.  Stan loves UD.

Realize Dwight is more Bill Russell than Wilt Chamerlain...dude will never dominate a long playoff series in the post.  Dude is "limited" offensively get him his 10-15 shots a game and tell him you are a defender and a rebounder FIRST!

Keep vince for now but quickly search for his replacement, VC ain't got the heart to lead a team to the finals, but you need somebody who can create their own shot or who can go in the post and demand a double.  Put somebody like Steven Jackson/Danny Granger/Brandon Roy on this magic team and they would have AT LEAST won a game or two by now.

Originally Posted by Dade B0Y

I'd be willing to bet money Orlando quietly pushes HARD after Udonis Haslem, with their MLE this off-season.  Stan loves UD.

Why go after Haslem when we have Bass? Van Gundy is making a mistake by not playing him. There's no need to get rid of Gortat either. 

Originally Posted by JinKazama

dude will never dominate a long playoff series in the post. 
Danny Ferry thought so. Dwight was the sole reason they went out and got Shaq after he sodomized that front line last year.

It's all about matchups with Dwight...nothing more. It's easy to point out what he can't do...but there's only one or two teams who can actually stop him from what he CAN do.

I can't imagine they alter their 4 shooters and Dwight philosophy with SVG around, which means he has to go.

-Start Bass/Anderson, give Dwight a big man who will actually bang and try to score down low plus giving him rebounding help
-They're not moving Rashard's contract any time soon, so move him back to his original three spot.
-Trade Jameer and Gortat for a true point guard and another SG

Then who does Rashard guard? He can't check Pierce or Allen.

Rashard can do a better job that Vince on Pierce with his length and Gortat/Bass would do a better job on KG.  You put Redick on Allen.  JJ was going through those screens quicker than anyone else they stuck on Ray.  But like I said before, that's on SVG.

This Orlando team struggled with Boston last year tho...with Hedo...and without the Celtics having KG. Add Sheed, more minutes from Tony Allen, better health from the entire team...this shouldn't be much of a surprise to see them facing elimination.
Exactly.  Without KG to put on either Hedo or Rashard last year and without having another six fouls to put on Dwight, Orlando handled them easily.

A Bass/Anderson duo at the 4 doesn't sound bad at all, just gotta see if Ryan can keep up a consistent level of play the entire season if he gets the minutes.

They could always see what they can get for Nelson and try to sign Felton.

Is Raymond Felton an upgrade from Jameer Nelson? I don't really think so. They're both small guards who score better than they do anything else.

Back
Top Bottom