What changes will/can Orlando make for next season?

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

Originally Posted by WE GET MONEY

Go back in time and keep Hedo and not sign Vince

I dont agree with this considering the $$$$ and # of years it would have taken to keep him.  Shortsighted move with long term ramifications. 
And trust me, us Raptor fans are dealing with those long term negatives as we speak, and its not even a full year yet.

frown.gif
Damn shame.

Their first move will be getting rid of Stan Van Gundy. I'm surprised that his players have gone this long without tuning him out.

Stan's coaching annoys me from the few minutes that it gets shown on TV, between the mic'ed up segments and the random shots of him on the bench. All he does is scream, strain his voice, make adjustments via whining, and looking flustered. And all this is getting them pretty much nowhere - his choices of lineups and offensive sets are getting exposed against a methodical defense like the Celtics'.

I would've tuned him out by midseason.

I mean are they really that bad people? Top 3 team in the East the last 3 years, 52, 59, and 59 wins... yeah it's the East, but still, that's nothing to sneeze at.

They're one of the better teams on both sides of the ball, made it to the Finals, beat Boston (yes they did it without KG), beat Cleveland last year, beat the breaks of a good Hawks team, but now they ran into a tremendous defense, veteran players playing at the highest level and then hit a cold streak on offense. It's not like they've been perennial runner ups in the conference and have plateaued that badly.

No one was screaming "they're bums" "fire the coach" "trade everyone" when they were cruising the 2nd half of the season, but as soon as they meet up with the one team that matches up better they're the worst team in the league.

Could they use some changes? Probably... they could use a pass first PG who can see over the defense better, a better defensive SG, and maybe nix the stretch 4 and move Shard back to 3 and utilize Bass/Gortat/Anderson better. That's hardly tearing the team apart.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by CaptainCrown

It all comes down to SVG, its tough because the city loves him and his personally. The dude has too many one-liners. But the team has lacked the mental toughness and made too many costly mental errors.  The free throws at the end of GM 1, and JJ's mistake at the end of GM 2.

But had they taken GM 1 or 2, this would be a different story.

The team can't really make any moves next season, too many big and long contracts, a low first round pick. They need to keep Vince, because the new arena is opening up next year and he moves season tickets.

But with this stinker they laid, Otis Smith will probably try to use Gortat as trade bait/feeler. Try to move Vince (1 yr left with team option yr after), if they can get an equal valued name player, to sell tickets. Idk, Lewis contract just hurts them a lot. We should of never signed him.

Not questioning you, but who exactly is buying season tickets off the strength of a 33 year old Vince Carter? 
You know I agreed with you too, but my friends who are group ticket salespeople explained to me that the Magic do great business with group tickets, season tickets, and game packages with international travel brokers. They pay $$$ to get good seats for the big stars like Kobe, Yao, Shaq, and Lebron. Orlando being a big travel destination, some tour groups or families book their vacations around NBA games. Vince is still considered a star to people in the UK, Brazil, Australia, and China. 
Orlando is a weird city, I remember when Carlos Arroyo was here, the entire upper deck was filled with Puerto Ricans and he was the #1 jersey seller on the team. Not being racist/hating, but dude was a bench warmer. Or during a regular season game, an entire section of a Chinese tour group had Kobe jerseys on. 

Orlando just arent good enough. You go from D12, to Rashard, to Vince to Jameer and you see a team with flaws all over the place. Regardless of what they do, I dont see this team being legit contenders as long as D12 and Rashard remain together. D12 is limited offensively which limits his impact in 4th quarters and his defensive impact can be limited if he gets into foul troubles. With Rashard Lewis you have a guy that is getting paid max-money, clearly doesnt deserve that kind of money, and is pretty much untradeable as a result. Sure the team can trade Vince or Jameer but they likely wont be getting much better as a result.

Stan Van Gundy isnt the problem. Without him this team wouldnt have even won 60-games.

One more thing, even if they still had Hedo instead of Vince, they wouldn't have gotten past the Celtics. Even if they miraculously did get past the Celtics, they once again would've been no match for the Lakers.

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Gil would be a PERFECT fit for Orlando.
alien.gif

Oh yeah, team him up with some combination of Nelson, Carter and Lewis; that would work wonders...

If they didn't already have Vince and Jameer I think it would be a great fit to be honest.
laugh.gif

Gil loves him some 3 pointers and that fits well with what the Magic do. He's good at driving and dishing and would get Dwight a bunch of easy buckets. He can also create his own shot and make plays like Vince.

Originally Posted by DT43

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

i find it funny that wizard fans are the ONLY ones that see Gilbert as a fit for the magic
i find it funny that everyone other than Wizards fans seems to think that Gilbert is a selfish player and pervasive team cancer. the reason i can see him fitting with the Magic is because myself and people who follow the Wizards know that despite some of his antics, he has been a great playmaker and team player, and can carry his squad when he needs to.

But if we got Arenas, then we'd be losing size and we'd have Jameer andArenas. Makes no sense. Getting Eddy Curry would clog the middle likeShaq. He would need to see limited minutes.

if you replace Lewis with an actual PF, how are you losing size? you'd actually be gaining strength inside.

imo Nelson/Arenas/Carter/Bass/Howard with Barnes/Reddick/Pietrus off the bench would work better than what you have right now.

You're losing matchup problems though. 

It makes no sense to me why they don't play Pietrus more. he's BETTER than Barnes, and he's a ton more effective than VC at this point in his career. Pietrus was hitting all the big shots for them in the first couple rounds and did the same when he played in Golden State. VC and Reddick gotta go. Bass and Ryan Anderson need more minutes. Getting Gilbert could be a good or franchise killing bad idea. They just need someone TOUGH at that 2 guard spot that glues the team together. All they need to do is stick together during the offseason, don't panic and start trading half the roster.

On another note, how about Iguodala, Kapono and Dalembert (expiring next year) for Pietrus, Gortat and Ryan Anderson? I'm down

Where on god's beautiful green earth do people get the idea of orlando trading for arenas???? I just don't see it. 
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by Buc Em

It makes no sense to me why they don't play Pietrus more. he's BETTER than Barnes, and he's a ton more effective than VC at this point in his career. Pietrus was hitting all the big shots for them in the first couple rounds and did the same when he played in Golden State. VC and Reddick gotta go. Bass and Ryan Anderson need more minutes. Getting Gilbert could be a good or franchise killing bad idea. They just need someone TOUGH at that 2 guard spot that glues the team together. All they need to do is stick together during the offseason, don't panic and start trading half the roster.

On another note, how about Iguodala, Kapono and Dalembert (expiring next year) for Pietrus, Gortat and Ryan Anderson? I'm down
Pietrus might be better than Barnes, but he's bringing absolutely nothing to the table. He's having too many defensive lapses and is fumbling the ball when he has wide open looks in the corner. 

The reason Barnes is out because of defensive purposes, while Pietrus is out for offensive.

Barnes been getting more clock because most of the time, they cant stop the C's.

Don't you think it's a problem where one of their defensive stoppers (Pietrus) is now a defensive liability?

Just become more conventional & they have to replace either Vince, Jameer or Rashard with someone that can play defense.

I honestly dont think Dwight can play next to a PF...he's not a gifted passer and he needs Lewis to spread the floor to create space for him in the paint...

They need to find a pass first point guard who can break defense down and knock down open shot.

Originally Posted by Buc Em

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
He should start to be honest he gotten better off the dribble hes a pure shooter let him start and get in flow gonna be lookin like duke out here
pimp.gif
plus he actually showed up in the playoffs this year

pretty much stuck with that squad. i still shake my head when i they mention rashard and his contract.

svg will probably be the one who gets the blame, and get fired.

dwight still and probably will never develop an offensive game. teams gonna stay on the shooters and see if dwight can beat them by himself.

The Brandon Bass is the real as stated multiple times. I would think he couldve held celtics bigs good.

As much as I like Nelson, he needs to go. Calderon? Steve Blake? Bayless?! I actually think Carter was a good replacement for Hedo. They just needed to bang it out with more bigs in the mid.

Lineup for next season:

1 - PG replacement /Jwill
2 - Carter/ Reddick
3 - Lewis. (major disappointment) / air france
4 - Bass/ Ryan Anderson
5- Dwight /Gortat

i swear some of yall dont watch the games/basketball at all...

bring Hedo back are yall serious???

they dont have much they can do but ride out Rashards contract which is killing them right now...they should've known Vince wasn't their "guy" when they got him...dude is worn out by the time the playoffs come...Jameer is so borderline skill wise that it would be hard to get an upgrade in return without giving up another important piece...I think they regret getting rid of Courtney Lee though...he has a lot of potential

On a positive note Dwight will get better offensively

Originally Posted by DMan14

pretty much stuck with that squad. i still shake my head when i they mention rashard and his contract.

svg will probably be the one who gets the blame, and get fired.

dwight still and probably will never develop an offensive game. teams gonna stay on the shooters and see if dwight can beat them by himself.
Pretty much sums it up. SVG will get the blame, but I think he earned his job next year by coming back and winning two games. The team is over the cap, can't sign any FA, anybody they draft will be traded for cash or a long term project, they probably won't use their MLE, Fran Vazquez, one of the best players in Europe, doesn't want to come here. Trading Gortat is their best option, but trading him leaves their frontline vulnerable.
I'm really disappointed, I wanted my Lakers to come to Orlando and take the trophy home again. 
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Back
Top Bottom