What changes will/can Orlando make for next season?

i dont know why everyone wants to change rosters when they were in the finals just a year ago... its funny how things work....van gundy has done a good job... his players just need to grow some you know what....i think they came in the series way too confident and took the celtics for granted just like all of us... during the season they played well and they played great basketball during the first 2 rounds...after watching the last game A.. they quit.. B.. they played terrible ball with no ball movement and too much relying on dwight to get them points.. there arent too many changes that can be made like everyone said because they are way over the cap.... i think their best lineup was switching barnes and redick....he actually plays well against ray allen..too many players disappeared for whatever reason but you dont start firing and going crazy after 2 years they just had...

Originally Posted by Im Not You

Is Raymond Felton an upgrade from Jameer Nelson? I don't really think so. They're both small guards who score better than they do anything else.

Yea, you're right.  Does Jameer for Calderon work straight up or would they need other pieces?  Just tossing names out there unless they're willing to give Steve Blake a shot
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by outkast9984

i dont know why everyone wants to change rosters when they were in the finals just a year ago... its funny how things work....van gundy has done a good job... his players just need to grow some you know what....i think they came in the series way too confident and took the celtics for granted just like all of us... during the season they played well and they played great basketball during the first 2 rounds...after watching the last game A.. they quit.. B.. they played terrible ball with no ball movement and too much relying on dwight to get them points.. there arent too many changes that can be made like everyone said because they are way over the cap.... i think their best lineup was switching barnes and redick....he actually plays well against ray allen..too many players disappeared for whatever reason but you dont start firing and going crazy after 2 years they just had...
Yeah that sounds good...but...anyone with a brain could have seen this coming (maybe not this bad). The Celtics are SIMPLY just Kryptonite for the way Orlando plays. Obviously...some changes are going to have to be made to counter this from happening again.

Originally Posted by sensaciondelbloque

Gilbert Arenas?
Gil would be a PERFECT fit for Orlando. but that is gonna be overlooked due to his contract (which could be balanced out) and Gil's supposed "character issues"

They need to adjust their offense to be more balanced and have less touches for Dwight.  Just like Cleveland, the Magic have looked completely lost once Boston took away their primary offensive strategy.
He's good against most teams but he's not skilled enough in the post do be effective against the NBA's best teams.  When Orlando gets deep in the playoffs his production becomes far less efficient, that's not going to change.  Perkins defending him 1-on-1 isn't a big deal, but the fact that Big Baby and Sheed can check him 1-on-1 is a major problem.  
Bottom line, Dwight needs to be option #2 on offense.  They need a legit #1 scorer and more balance.  I don't think SVG is out after this year though.

too many players disappeared for whatever reason but you dont start firing and going crazy after 2 years they just had...
Why not?

Being good but not good enough is almost as bad as being bad. Sometimes you need a drastic change.

Jameer Nelson, Vince Carter and Rashard Lewis should never be a long-term plan in the first place. That just screams "not good enough" to me.
Gil would be a PERFECT fit for Orlando.
alien.gif

Oh yeah, team him up with some combination of Nelson, Carter and Lewis; that would work wonders...

when they got bass i thought he was going to start?

c-Howard
PF-bass
SF-lewis
SG-VC
PG-Nelson

Originally Posted by outkast9984

Exactly. There's nothing wrong with Dwight. Yeah he can be more fluid with his post game. Yeah he can play a little smarter, but the reason he looks like that is because Kendrick Perkins is one of the only big men that can play him one on one. Now everyone's talking about trade Jameer? The %%+% outta here! Dude was one of the best PGs of this postseason. I blame it on the offense being stagnant because certain players aren't threats. 

I thought Bass would start too in place of Barnes/Pietrus.

I don't know what was the big deal about him not playing, but it didn't make sense. If I were them, I would find a way to go after Scola this off-season.

Vince Carter deal expires after next season, so they won't have to necessarily worry about him again. They need more of a defensive oriented SG in the backcourt. I wonder if there would be a way for them to go after Ariza and Scola this off-season? Probably not, but there should be other pieces available in the league.

They also need a backup PG that has a little size to them and can play defense. Jwill played well this season, but they got exposed when they came to play Rondo. With Nelson being so little, they have to find a guy that can at least defend, hit the 3 and is about 6'3 or 6'4 backing him up. Roger Mason may be a good pick up for them.

Easier version of what I just said:
-start Bass at PF
-move Lewis to SF
-sign Roger Mason to be more of a combo guard for them

I thought the point of getting Bass and Anderson, along with resigning Gortat, was because the Magic wanted to become a more conventional team, with the option of going back to the perimeter game that suited them so well last year.

If I'm them, I try to see if I can trick someone into taking Rashard Lewis, which won't happen. Lewis is the one that NEEDS to be moved because having Barnes and Pietrus at the 3 is a much better option. Carter is a much more serviceable defender than Lewis. If they can't move Rashard, I'm moving him to the bench ala Odom. Depending on the matchup, he might see more minutes in the clutch, but I think he'll be great for their bench if they can't trade him.

You need Jameer, only because he's the only one with the balls to take the shot late in the game.

Originally Posted by DT43

Gilbert Arenas?
Gil would be a PERFECT fit for Orlando. but that is gonna be overlooked due to his contract (which could be balanced out) and Gil's supposed "character issues"

ya because there is something wrong with the shoot 1st PG they have already

What about bringing back Mike Miller? No, he's not Hedo...but he's got a similar skill-set and can facilitate the offense through a couple different positions. The only question is his durability. Hedo came up big in the postseason last year. At some point you have to compare what he did to what Vince Carter is doing now. 2.2 assists per game from your SF/SG isn't going to cut it. I like what Vince brings to the table...I really do. However, Hedo was a better fit on this Magic team.

Another thing.....why can't Ryan Anderson get some burn over Rashard Lewis? Even going back to the regular season, I think Anderson (if he got the same opportunity/minutes) would put up similar or better #'s. A shuffle in the lineup might be what's needed. If you're a desperate team, then do something to shake things up. You're down three games to none, so I don't see the harm (other than a few bruised egos) in doing this. On the flip, you just never know....it could light a fire under Rashard's %%% and he could play some good basketball

As far as the draft....I think they should look at Dominique Jones with their #30...a good combo guard who can defend and score....with their last pick in the 2nd round, maybe take a look at (don't laugh) Luke Harangody. He'll get you rebounds and can chip in a few points here and there.

dwight needs to put in work this offseason. call hakeem, mchale, anyone that can help his low post gm.

svg needs to play his bench more (bass, anderson, even anthony johnson)

they got to figure out if they want to be a three pt shooting team and live or die by it. tough way to win a championship especially when you go up against good defenses.

end of the day, they weren't "tough" enough.

The only person Orlando could trade straight up for Gilbert Arenas is Rashard Lewis. Doesn't make sense to me. Losing size. With Arenas we won't even beat the Cavs.

unfortunately van gun will take the fall on this one. oh well....

dwight really need to add another dimension to his game. that should be his focus. because right now, post up dwight 1on1/watch the shooters is the way to beat the magic.

He should take the fall. His rotations and in game adjustments are atrocious.

DJ's they barely play two decent big men in Gortat or Anderson, Harangody will rot on the bench too.

Oh yeah, team him up with some combination of Nelson, Carter and Lewis; that would work wonders...

no, swap Lewis for Arenas. i wouldnt necessarily want Lewis on the Wizards, but theoretically it would work for Orl. or they could get rid of Carter somehow as well.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Originally Posted by DT43

Gilbert Arenas?
ya because there is something wrong with the shoot 1st PG they have already
indifferent.gif
are you really comparing Jameer Nelson to Gilbert Arenas? 

yes, there is something wrong with Nelson... he can't score and he can't pass. he is one of the main reasons ORL is getting swept. Arenas would be the most versatile wing player in Orlando's lineup.. he can do everything Nelson and Carter can do, and better. he attacks the basket (something none of Orlando's wings are capable of), he's a bigtime player they can go to in crunchtime, and he would work well with Dwight on the pick-and-roll due to his passing ability.

Arenas wouldnt all of a sudden turn Orlando into the favorites, but he would be a very strong addition.

i find it funny that wizard fans are the ONLY ones that see Gilbert as a fit for the magic

They really don't have BIG problems in their line-up. Their start is great & their bench is very good also.

I don't think they should of let Turkuglu go though.

Coaching, thats the biggest thing.

the lineups Van Gundy threw out there were terrible. they werent able to use their size and athleticism to expose the C's.

Overall, the roster should be the same.

i say, move either barnes or pietrus, then move either bass or anderson, resign JJ Reddick, and the rotation would be a lot more in set.

the thing with this team was that there was too much talent sitting on the bench, and it can be a blessing and a curse at the same time.

beg Toronto to give Hedo back for Vince Carter and a side of fries...?

Magic fans are finally discovering the painful truth that Seattle always knew about Rashard Lewis... dude is a pro at disappearing when it matters most. Sure he'll hit some 3's against crappy defense during the regular season, but not when it matters in the playoffs. When the Sonics pushed the Spurs to 6 games in the '05 Western Semi's, Lewis sat out game six with a sore toe or soemthing, leaving Ray Allen all alone out there to deal with (and lose to) Ginobili and Bowen.

I can't believe Lewis is the Magic's highest paid player!

Back
Top Bottom