What do you prefer manual or automatic transmission?

Manual...

I love having all the handle in my car
pimp.gif

finnns2003 wrote:
dankenstien88 wrote:
Depends really... 

+ Daily Driver - Automatic

+ Performance Applications (natrually aspirated) - Standard

+ Performance Applications (supercharged) - Standard

+ Performance Applications (Turbocharged) - Automatic

laugh.gif
.... Why would you get an automatic turbo? Stupid.

I drive a manual as a daily, I hate it in traffic but makes driving so much more fun.

eyes.gif
 Excuse me?

You must not know much about racing.

Turbo cars with automatics are consistently faster than turbo cars with a standard transmission.

An auto allows the turbo to continue spooling between shifts therefore building maximum boost and power. Every time you shift a turbo car with a manual you loose built up boost so the engine wont make full power  until it is in final gear. A turbocharged auto allows your engine to run at peak HP through multiple gears, while a manual turbo only makes peak HP close to red-line after you have run through all your gears.

Originally Posted by dankenstien88

finnns2003 wrote:
dankenstien88 wrote:
Depends really... 

+ Daily Driver - Automatic

+ Performance Applications (natrually aspirated) - Standard

+ Performance Applications (supercharged) - Standard

+ Performance Applications (Turbocharged) - Automatic
laugh.gif

I drive a manual as a daily, I hate it in traffic but makes driving so much more fun.

eyes.gif
 Excuse me?

Turbo cars with automatics are consistently faster than turbo cars with a standard transmission.

An auto allows the turbo to continue spooling between shifts therefore building maximum boost and power. Every time you shift a turbo car with a manual you loose built up boost so the engine wont make full power  until it is in final gear. A turbocharged auto allows your engine to run at peak HP through multiple gears, while a manual turbo only makes peak HP close to red-line after you have run through all your gears.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
You cannot be serious.

Originally Posted by memphissfinest

MANUAL

EVERY MUSTANG I'VE EVER OWNED HAS BEEN A STICK SHIFT. ONLY WAY TO DRIVE REALLY IMO.

pimp.gif

my 5.0 was OG auto but i swapped it out for a T-5

my daily driver is a auto though

Originally Posted by ispeakjewleo

Manual, keeps me concentrated on the road and not on my phone or something else. 

this is an excellent way of looking at manual. im gonna remember this
laugh.gif

anyways i prefer manual, its more fun to drive. not that many cars come manual these days
30t6p3b.gif
at this paddle shifting.

finnns2003 wrote:

finnns2003 wrote:
laugh.gif

eyes.gif
 Excuse me?

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
You cannot be serious.

Look at the boost gauge next time your driving or riding in a turbocharged manual and compare it to the boost gauge in a turboed auto. 

i like my truck with auto ****** but if i had a sports car i would wana try out manual.

finnns2003 wrote:

eyes.gif
 Excuse me?

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
You cannot be serious.

Look at the boost gauge next time your driving or riding in a turbocharged manual and compare it to the boost gauge in a turboed auto. 

PS:

Automatic transmissions also mate well with Turbos because you can spool them off the line. With an auto you can put load on the engine without the car moving and build a substantial amount of boost before you takeoff. This gives you a serious advantage over a Turbo with a manual in a drag race.

I would like to switch over to manual. Its has to be a coupe or sti or something to that extent.

I have all the basics down, im at the stage where i have to get through the pressures. Like shifting in at a redlight without messing up and stalling(i get nervous, and that nervousness breaks me). Downshifting also, i know you dont have to, but id like to know how to do it properly. I have an auto now, but i want to buy and fix up a 1998 bmw M3(Coupe or sedan, doesnt mater)

First of all, who wants to boost that much in a daily driver? I'm sorry junior but life is not about hitting boost while going to work. Life isn't a race track. Now on a track maybe but even then, that is a ridiculous, narrow-minded argument. Most enthusiasts would much rather track a R34 over a R35. "Automatics" are not as engaging and many companies still offer a manual transmission standard on a TURBO car, including the STi, EVO, 911 Turbo, etc., cars that would dust you in a flash. Completely ignorant and pathetic argument here.

Went manual about 4 or 5 years ago, been loving the whole "being one with the car" thing ever since.

Still, stop-and-go in rush hour traffic's always pain. And it's tougher getting to my texts
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by KanyeWestJayZ4life

I would like to switch over to manual. Its has to be a coupe or sti or something to that extent.

I have all the basics down, im at the stage where i have to get through the pressures. Like shifting in at a redlight without messing up and stalling(i get nervous, and that nervousness breaks me). Downshifting also, i know you dont have to, but id like to know how to do it properly. I have an auto now, but i want to buy and fix up a 1998 bmw M3(Coupe or sedan, doesnt mater)
It just comes down to muscle-memory and getting used to it... and when in doubt, put the clutch in.  Also at stop lights, also make sure you're in 1st and not 3rd. 
laugh.gif
  It happened to me when I first started. Was at a stop sign and thought I was in 1st. When it was my turn to go, I eased off the clutch, felt the bite-point and everything, but stalled.  I reignited, but stalled again. After 3 tries, I started to smell my clutch... and it was then that I realized... I was in 3rd! 
embarassed.gif

tongue.gif

As for downshifting... learn to match-rev first... and once you get that down like second-nature, then work on heel-toeing.  Just be careful not to rear-end anyone.  Look for vids on youtube to learn.

Originally Posted by finnns2003

First of all, who wants to boost that much in a daily driver? I'm sorry junior but life is not about hitting boost while going to work. Life isn't a race track. Now on a track maybe but even then, that is a ridiculous, narrow-minded argument. Most enthusiasts would much rather track a R34 over a R35. "Automatics" are not as engaging and many companies still offer a manual transmission standard on a TURBO car, including the STi, EVO, 911 Turbo, etc., cars that would dust you in a flash. Completely ignorant and pathetic argument here.

Who said anything about a daily driver ? 

But for real tho, I thought OP was asking for opinions on what people prefer. I personally prefer automatic transmissions with turbocharged cars because you can take advantage of EVERYTHING the turbo has to give. Understand where im coming from; Im a 23 year old kid from the midwest we have thin traffic and 1/4 mile straightaways everywhere. Alot of people in this reigon still modify their cars and take them around the town to race on weekends. Im saying I would personally prefer a Turbo-Auto set up for latenight streetrod because they are considerably faster off the line. If I lived somewhere else might choose diffrently but living in Kansas City a Turbo Regal is just Sooooo proper.
laugh.gif

I completley agree that manuals are more engaging and give you much more control of the car. Natrually asprated and supercharged cars also usually drive better and are prefered by seroius enthusiests because they give gradual consistant power delivery and dont suffer from lag that can make a turbo car harder to handle around an unexpected bend. 

The only thing ignorant and pathetic is the fact you think Im even arguing.
pimp.gif

after being spoiled by one of the finest MT's in the market (s2000) i went back to auto temporarily on my 335i lease. it def has its ups and downs, when i want to drive spiritedly i wish it was a manual, but just cruising around auto isn't so bad.

next car will be manual and rwd again though. i might go back to an s2k or maybe try to get a m3.

Back
Top Bottom