What do you prefer manual or automatic transmission?

Originally Posted by JordanKing Xi

Auto

like honestly im not tryna flame to you manuel people.

but yall cant even smoke a cig in peace while drivin

blunt cruise

heck even a cup of coffee in the morning if your into that
i've done all of those things in a manual...what i don't think a lot of people realize is you're only spending a fraction of your time changing gears, unless you're in traffic which of course i think an automatic is a no brainer.

Originally Posted by AirJordanVI

dscn85221338298cw4.jpg

Nice !

I like those Mini-RUs too !
laugh.gif

il prescelto wrote:

while learning, sure. but i wouldn't make that a habit, coasting is dangerous because you can't react to sudden changes since you have no control over the car/motorcycle.

Yes, yes of course... That was what I was referring to as he mentioned that he was still trying to get the hang of it.  
Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Manual isn't practical in Seattle, so automatic for me.
I actually learned at the hilly-bits in Queen Anne... but overall, I didn't think it was that bad.  Good practice, I suppose.

Who's got experience with the current flappy-paddle gearboxes?  Some of those new twin-clutch mumbo jumbo trannies seem to be pretty responsive nowadays...

manual, for sure. i have never owned an automatic car, i hate the feeling of the car driving me.

I drive a SUV so auto for me.  Never had the chance to learn manual.  I live in the suburbs so an auto is more convenient.
I notice that some cars roll back a little bit at stop lights or stop signs.  Do a lot of manuals do that?  Has anyone ever bumped into the car behind them that was too close to them?

Originally Posted by dankenstien88

Originally Posted by finnns2003

Look at the boost gauge next time your driving or riding in a turbocharged manual and compare it to the boost gauge in a turboed auto.
First of all, who wants to boost that much in a daily driver? I'm sorry junior but life is not about hitting boost while going to work. Life isn't a race track. Now on a track maybe but even then, that is a ridiculous, narrow-minded argument. Most enthusiasts would much rather track a R34 over a R35. "Automatics" are not as engaging and many companies still offer a manual transmission standard on a TURBO car, including the STi, EVO, 911 Turbo, etc., cars that would dust you in a flash. Completely ignorant and pathetic argument here.

Who said anything about a daily driver ? 

But for real tho, I thought OP was asking for opinions on what people prefer. I personally prefer automatic transmissions with turbocharged cars because you can take advantage of EVERYTHING the turbo has to give. Understand where im coming from; Im a 23 year old kid from the midwest we have thin traffic and 1/4 mile straightaways everywhere. Alot of people in this reigon still modify their cars and take them around the town to race on weekends. Im saying I would personally prefer a Turbo-Auto set up for latenight streetrod because they are considerably faster off the line. If I lived somewhere else might choose diffrently but living in Kansas City a Turbo Regal is just Sooooo proper.
laugh.gif

I completley agree that manuals are more engaging and give you much more control of the car. Natrually asprated and supercharged cars also usually drive better and are prefered by seroius enthusiests because they give gradual consistant power delivery and dont suffer from lag that can make a turbo car harder to handle around an unexpected bend. 

The only thing ignorant and pathetic is the fact you think Im even arguing.
pimp.gif
damb
roll.gif

troll harder finns

Manual 5 forward 1 reverse driving the rear wheels 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by throwedyonasb

Originally Posted by BLinK

I blaze am lazy...so auto.
fixed*
fixed
KanyeWestJayZ4life wrote:
I would like to switch over to manual. Its has to be a coupe or sti or something to that extent. 

I have all the basics down, im at the stage where i have to get through the pressures. Like shifting in at a redlight without messing up and stalling(i get nervous, and that nervousness breaks me). Downshifting also, i know you dont have to, but id like to know how to do it properly. I have an auto now, but i want to buy and fix up a 1998 bmw M3(Coupe or sedan, doesnt mater)

as was said when in doubt push the clutch! other than that just learn to feel it every engine has a character and every transmission has a profile, learn them match them...happy shifting!
PS expensive proposition sir w/ that e36 M3
C o IVI p L e X wrote:
JordanKing Xi wrote:
Auto

like honestly im not tryna flame to you manuel people.

but yall cant even smoke a cig in peace while drivin

blunt cruise

heck even a cup of coffee in the morning if your into that

i've done all of those things in a manual...what i don't think a lot of people realize is you're only spending a fraction of your time changing gears, unless you're in traffic which of course i think an automatic is a no brainer.

And have I

i prefer manual now that i've gotten the hang of it. but living in SF is hard sometimes especially when i'm trying to parallel park on a hill.

i'm driving a automatic now though.

I learned how to drive manual on my friend's car a few weeks ago.

I'm still getting used to it, but it's a lot more fun than automatic. Only problem is sometimes I drop the clutch too fast from a dead stop and stall the car. If someone engineered a way to remove the hassle of engaging 1st gear, manuals would be perfect
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by finnns2003

Look at the boost gauge next time your driving or riding in a turbocharged manual and compare it to the boost gauge in a turboed auto.
First of all, who wants to boost that much in a daily driver? I'm sorry junior but life is not about hitting boost while going to work. Life isn't a race track. Now on a track maybe but even then, that is a ridiculous, narrow-minded argument. Most enthusiasts would much rather track a R34 over a R35. "Automatics" are not as engaging and many companies still offer a manual transmission standard on a TURBO car, including the STi, EVO, 911 Turbo, etc., cars that would dust you in a flash. Completely ignorant and pathetic argument here.

Who said anything about a daily driver ? 

But for real tho, I thought OP was asking for opinions on what people prefer. I personally prefer automatic transmissions with turbocharged cars because you can take advantage of EVERYTHING the turbo has to give. Understand where im coming from; Im a 23 year old kid from the midwest we have thin traffic and 1/4 mile straightaways everywhere. Alot of people in this reigon still modify their cars and take them around the town to race on weekends. Im saying I would personally prefer a Turbo-Auto set up for latenight streetrod because they are considerably faster off the line. If I lived somewhere else might choose diffrently but living in Kansas City a Turbo Regal is just Sooooo proper.
laugh.gif

I completley agree that manuals are more engaging and give you much more control of the car. Natrually asprated and supercharged cars also usually drive better and are prefered by seroius enthusiests because they give gradual consistant power delivery and dont suffer from lag that can make a turbo car harder to handle around an unexpected bend. 

The only thing ignorant and pathetic is the fact you think Im even arguing.
pimp.gif

Honestly the only turbo auto car I've ever been in was a Jetta and I think it only boosted 6 psi. The only advantage I see from running a turbo auto is at the strip is the consistency that you would get from your runs not missing a shift, slighty faster ET's, 60 ft. Peak boost in my car is 21 psi which is pretty conservative (for my car) and the millisecond it drops during shifting is pretty negligible. As far as turbo lag, learn how to shift 
tongue.gif
 not like every turbo car is running a 42r. Plus every auto I've been in has shifted horribly and never dropped down a gear when I need it to.

If you prefer manual, you probably don't get awesome jawsome on the road often. Do that and you'll never want to have to worry about changing gears again.

Originally Posted by RealRubirosa

If you prefer manual, you probably don't get awesome jawsome on the road often. Do that and you'll never want to have to worry about changing gears again.

5/6th gear cruising on highway getting head fakes
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom