What happened to yall dressin better cats??...

There's a fine line between dressing better and trying too hard. There are a lot of dudes in that thread who do the former, and there are a lot of dudes who do the latter. When dressing, I live by the K.I.S.S. rule (Keep It Simple, Stupid).

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

There's a fine line between dressing better and trying too hard. There are a lot of dudes in that thread who do the former, and there are a lot of dudes who do the latter. When dressing, I live by the K.I.S.S. rule (Keep It Simple, Stupid).

A lot of people who dress a bit more "mature" would say the same thing about a man in their late 20's dressing like this (minus the gas mask):
227331900.jpg

^^Sycamore Ave. in LA...
So this is what folks have been doing back home since I left...
laugh.gif

Srs, though I think it's partially a region thing...  Most of my folks from back home dress like that, when I moved up to San Francisco (nh) there was a lot more a need for layering, and walking around the city you just make a different sense of how to put an outfit together.  Plus you get a hard time for looking like you fell out of a drake video casting call in SF, whereas in LA you are championed for it.

Now im in Houston, and I'm having to learn to dress all over again
laugh.gif
...it's too hot out here for cable knits and self edge denim
tired.gif

Love the red pearl toe questions.
Foams. never seen a pair
Snapback. retro. whats new?
Tats? im down for the artistry.

Originally Posted by damn its me

^^Sycamore Ave. in LA...
So this is what folks have been doing back home since I left...
laugh.gif

Srs, though I think it's partially a region thing...  Most of my folks from back home dress like that, when I moved up to San Francisco (nh) there was a lot more a need for layering, and walking around the city you just make a different sense of how to put an outfit together.  Plus you get a hard time for looking like you fell out of a drake video casting call in SF, whereas in LA you are championed for it.

Now im in Houston, and I'm having to learn to dress all over again
laugh.gif
...it's too hot out here for cable knits and self edge denim
tired.gif

please tell me auto correct did this

Originally Posted by WhatsLosinLike

Son was illiterate and eloquent simultaneously
eek.gif

Calling card of a seasoned NTer... I too comprehend and support his msg.Bap bap bow

Originally Posted by RaWeX05

I started reading hoping it would make sense eventually, but gave up a few seconds minutes after.

i got in too deep trying to decipher op's code talk
30t6p3b.gif

I'm not with OP on his everyday attire of flip flops and socks, but he has a point about how some/a lot of people be jumping on any and every 'trend.' I don't think he is calling anyone out who is daily constant or comfortable in what they rock, just more so the cats who were dressing like Carlton Banks 2 years ago and now are running around in SurfStyle windbreakers, cut off skinny jeans, and fanny packs...

I wear fitted caps+t shirts/soccer jerseys+basketball shorts+flip flops (WITHOUT SOCKS. what kind of idiot wears socks with sandals when it's 80 degrees out?) any time I'm not at work or a party.  I'm not gonna hit up a movie or get groceries in my chinos and desert boots 
laugh.gif
 Only time I "dress well" is if there's a guarantee that good looking girls will be present

Originally Posted by NattyBro

I'm not with OP on his everyday attire of flip flops and socks, but he has a point about how some/a lot of people be jumping on any and every 'trend.' I don't think he is calling anyone out who is daily constant or comfortable in what they rock, just more so the cats who were dressing like Carlton Banks 2 years ago and now are running around in SurfStyle windbreakers, cut off skinny jeans, and fanny packs...

butttt... let me play the devils advicut (on purpose)
what's wrong with jumping on every new trend?

if you're gettin yambs from it, and staying ahead of the trend curve, i see nothing wrong.

if i had the money to keep up with everything, i would.

Originally Posted by eiddyfouw

A lot of people who dress a bit more "mature" would say the same thing about a man in their late 20's dressing like this (minus the gas mask):
227331900.jpg
How is that trying too hard, minus the gasmask?
A varsity jacket, plain with tee, fitted cap and the most basic sneakers possible.

What is indicative of someone trying too hard with this outfit...Please enlighten me?

Originally Posted by ricky409

butttt... let me play the devils advicut (on purpose)
what's wrong with jumping on every new trend?

if you're gettin yambs from it, and staying ahead of the trend curve, i see nothing wrong.

if i had the money to keep up with everything, i would.
If that's you that's you.  I can't call it, nor can I speak for OP, but the way I took it was it comes off type corny when the dudes who were talking about getting their 'grown man' and their 'loafer/blazer' game up a year or two ago are now rocking Supreme neck ties as belts and zack morris acid wash jeans with Jeremy Scott's screaming out '80's babies run this!' 
I'm not knocking anyone for doing what they want with their money, but I think most people reach a certain age where they come into their own style wise, and become more consistent in the looks/style they go for.  

I felt like I was deciphering a message from National Treasure.  We need a, "writing better" post 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by goldenchild9

A varsity jacket, plain with tee, fitted cap and the most basic sneakers possible.

What is indicative of someone trying too hard with this outfit...Please enlighten me?
Because once you reach a certain age, it'll look like you're trying to hard to keep up with young urban trends. 
I'm not even kidding, once you start attending mature places (wine bars, 30th & 40th birthday parties, lounges etc), and start coming across mature women, you'll see how fast that Tyga and Breezy look, looks immature. 

Don't take it as offence.  Just like younger cats who go to certain clubs/places can dress like that picture, and get a lot of love, but if a dude comes with the "after work drinks" look, he'll look silly in that camp. 

It's really just all about what circles you run in, and what stage of you are in life.

Because once you reach a certain age, it'll look like you're trying to hard to keep up with young urban trends. 
I'm not even kidding, once you start attending mature places (wine bars, 30th & 40th birthday parties, lounges etc), and start coming across mature women, you'll see how fast that Tyga and Breezy look, looks immature. 

Don't take it as offence.  Just like younger cats who go to certain clubs/places can dress like that picture, and get a lot of love, but if a dude comes with the "after work drinks" look, he'll look silly in that camp. 

It's really just all about what circles you run in, and what stage of you are in life.

Don't agree with that AT ALL.
You got 50 year old conservative white dudes that wear essentially the same thing.

Levis, kicks, a t shirt and sports apparel have been the basis of casual American menswear since the 50's.

I'm probably older than you and have NO PROBLEM rocking denim, kicks and sports wear and bagging mature professional women. My last girl was 8 years older than me and an accountant.

The problem is dudes don't know how to switch it up...of course you don't go to a wedding reception in a snapback and white tee...most sensible people know that.

But too many "dressing better" cats will go to a pool hall wearing Oxfords and a bow tie. Straight d bag status.

When you're on casual time you can dress however you please, regardless of age, as long as it tasteful and suits your personality. But so many of new dudes TRY to look "mature" when they're barely scratching 30 and end up looking silly. Dudes are walking around my school with red bowties and pink slacks like they're really doing it...there are tons of mature working women prowling the campuses...and they get NO BURN. 

Your attire is part of your identity and 25 - 33 y/o cats really need to stop dressing like 70 year old retirees. This is a new phenomenon. People always sought to stay young fresh and original as long as possible. Now dude turn 25 and morph into Mr. Rogers.

Dress appropriately for the occasion and dead the pretenses. OXFORDS AND BOAT SHOES DO NOT GET YOU SNATCH. 

Don't agree with that AT ALL.
You got 50 year old conservative white dudes that wear essentially the same thing.

Levis, kicks, a t shirt and sports apparel have been the basis of casual American menswear since the 50's.

I'm probably older than you and have NO PROBLEM rocking denim, kicks and sports wear and bagging mature professional women. My last girl was 8 years older than me and an accountant.

The problem is dudes don't know how to switch it up...of course you don't go to a wedding reception in a snapback and white tee...most sensible people know that.

But too many "dressing better" cats will go to a pool hall wearing Oxfords and a bow tie. Straight d bag status.

When you're on casual time you can dress however you please, regardless of age, as long as it tasteful and suits your personality. But so many of new dudes TRY to look "mature" when they're barely scratching 30 and end up looking silly. Dudes are walking around my school with red bowties and pink slacks like they're really doing it...there are tons of mature working women prowling the campuses...and they get NO BURN. 

Your attire is part of your identity and 25 - 33 y/o cats really need to stop dressing like 70 year old retirees. This is a new phenomenon. People always sought to stay young fresh and original as long as possible. Now dude turn 25 and morph into Mr. Rogers.

Dress appropriately for the occasion and dead the pretenses. OXFORDS AND BOAT SHOES DO NOT GET YOU SNATCH. 
all this 
pimp.gif

thanks for clearing that up, i was confused. I gotta agree with this then. 

Neither do levis and chucks.
roll.gif
Clothes have never been the determining factor in acquiring yambs. Sure, a chick in the mall might jock you if she sees you have some space jams on... same as a woman in a bank who sees that your bow-tie isn't a clip-on... but at the end of the day if you can't seal the deal, what you're wearing doesn't matter at all.

all the same i've always been the type to dress like mr. rogers. that's just what i'm comfortable in. rocking polo button ups and gap since i was a young lad... no plans on turning back now.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Yeah

Neither do levis and chucks.
roll.gif
Clothes have never been the determining factor in acquiring yambs. Sure, a chick in the mall might jock you if she sees you have some space jams on... same as a woman in a bank who sees that your bow-tie isn't a clip-on... but at the end of the day if you can't seal the deal, what you're wearing doesn't matter at all.

all the same i've always been the type to dress like mr. rogers. that's just what i'm comfortable in. rocking polo button ups and gap since i was a young lad... no plans on turning back now.
pimp.gif
Of course not. I was trying to insinuate that.
The biggest factors when it comes to attracting women are confidence and charisma...but thats a topic for another thread.

If that's yours your aura...thats what up. You've been doing it all your life and probably know how to pull it off correctly. The look matches your persona. I was referring to members of this new yuppie movement. Cats are dressing just as ridiculous as when dudes wore Tall Tees and clown jeans but they think they're moving up in life because all of their pieces were featured in GQ.

There's a lot of cultural confusion with this generation and its the reason why pop culture has pretty much gone to s_.

Originally Posted by Yeah

I was referring to members of this new yuppie movement. Cats are dressing just as ridiculous as when dudes wore Tall Tees and clown jeans but they think they're moving up in life because all of their pieces were featured in GQ.
There's a lot of cultural confusion with this generation and its the reason why pop culture has pretty much gone to s_.
Saw some dudes with dreads in front of a trap house (that house in the hood with 15 different people outside of it whenever you roll past... and it's never the same 15 people... door open but no one ever be going in and out... ) with peacoats and boat shoes on... thought the same thing. like "n_ i just saw you with a racecar jacket on last week..."

Back
Top Bottom