What is your JOB/Career ? Vol. Rate your happiness.

Marketing as well. I dont get my happiness and fulfillment from my job. I get it from the flexibility my job gives me. I don't work much get paid well relative to my peers and my experience.

USPS on the machine maintenance side of things. Easiest money I’ve ever made, but definitely nothing fulfilling about it. Coworkers are mostly MAGA clowns, so the social distancing due to COVID has really been a positive. Will likely keep it going long after COVID is gone. :lol:

There are definitely higher paying jobs out there, but between the hands off approach from management, being able to work mostly alone, the pay, the benefits and the ridiculous amount of leave I get, it’s hard to look elsewhere. I’ve done way worse jobs for waaaay less pay, so I continue to rock with it even though I don’t love it. It affords me a lot of life opportunities and family time that I wasn’t getting at my previous job, which is honestly worth more than $$.

lowboy driver or lowbedder as you say on the west coast

I like it, I'm home every night and work by myself most the time so if I feel like stopping and eating or whatever its fine. I just get a list of equipment to move and show up to work whenever and knock out the list anytime before they start using the machines the next day. I can show up at 10 am or sleep until 2 and show up at 3pm. doesn't matter as long as its done.

so yeah, I really like that I don't get micro managed.

it's not like my passion or anything but it pays the bills, doesn't stress me out and its super chill, so its about as good as its going to get for me unless I didn't have to work at all.

I only work may- thanksgiving so that's super nice and it's union so I get good benefits for free and a pension.

I used to be a cook and owned a food truck for a while, it burned me out and wasn't worth the money. I just wanted to make some money and have benefits so I chose this because I knew I could get into it with out paying for college or anything.

I don't really ever want to do my "passion" again for a job because it made me hate cooking. I just want to go to work, clock in and out and live stress free now.

there's not very many of us lowboy drivers out there so I'll have a job as long as I want one.

Last edited:
Industrial designer. I literally draw concepts and build CAD for those concepts. As of now, I’m more of a conceptual designer who provides the fire power in creating new ideas, but there are more seasoned senior designers, who are conceptually burnt out, who manage the concept with engineers into fruition.

I’m almost three years into my career and I’m still trying to comprehend engineers, marketing, and corporate in general. However, I’d love to just hone in on my craft of conceptualizing. It’s definitely the fork in the road of managing projects or mastering design, and I tend to lean towards the latter.

I’d rate my happiness as 9/10 just because I’m not designing shoes which is what I wanted to do when I went to college.However, I do rate it high because I enjoy my craft regardless of what product I’m designing and ultimately it’s satisfying a consumer need.

I’m still in disbelief that I can live a sustainable life in California through drawing on paper and conceptualizing on programs that aren’t necessarily designed to ideate :lol:. Some days it doesn’t feel like I’m working because I’m barely on company calls, but I guess this is what it means to do something you enjoy and find someone to pay you for it.
Sounds like this is up my alley. Where would you recommend getting into to get started?

Last edited:
Graphic design. Want to evolve my skills into the UI/UX field. Become a supervisor last year, but the pay is still ***. Been rebuilding my portfolio so I can find something else.

I work as a firefighter and one thing I learned when I used to work at very depressing jobs waiting for my opportunity is that I used to think when I got hired at my current job (which was my dream job) that all my problems would be solved - making decent money doing something that I enjoy doing. And as much as I like my job that’s not the case you still have the same problems life throws at you and there will always be things you like and don’t like just like any job. I used to think I would reach this all time euphoric state where I would be ecstatic to go
To work every day and it’s not really like that :lol:

I hate to sound cliche but happiness is a journey and not a destination. Not to say things won’t improve when you get to where you want to get to - but make the best of the process and the day to day grind and just try to be at peace, that’s true happiness

Going from a corporate environment to a small business was the best thing that's ever happened to me. Plus it's a different industry and black owned. Man, life is good. I can wear whatever I want, speak how I speak (within reason), come in anytime between 8-10am then leave 8 hrs later. The best part is that we are getting paid to provide a service to middle class DC residents who were getting priced out of here.

I, like others on here, don't really dream to own my own business. My bosses stay sending out emails and stuff 24/7. They are always working. I don't need that type of stress.

I dont mind working for someone as long as I look forward to waking up and going to work everyday.

Sounds like this is up my alley. Where would you recommend getting into to get started?
Academic-wise or just design in general?

For school, design schools are generally private and have high tuition rates. Finding a job is very difficult since the role is very niche. However, it shouldn't be discouraging if it's really for you because the curriculum itself will make or break you; it has certainly broke many of my colleagues who didn't finish or switched majors. Even some have finished but couldn't find a job, but you'll land a gig if you can self-actualize that this is your calling.

design in general, i'd just look into things you're really into and why you're into it. Being this is a shoe forum, i'd take it you're into shoes :lol:, but why are you into them? Does it empower you? Does it help you aspire what you want to be? As a kid, i saw my older brothers wearing shoes of they're favorite athletes, and I looked to my bros as super heroes, so i looked at shoes as something empowering and a way to become just as cool as my bros. I used to stare and observe retro cards as a kid and look into the details i gravitated towards, specifically the jordan 8s. The 8s were so alienating to me aesthetically, it was a design i identified with because it was not ordinary. As i got older, i understood the tech from the inner bootie to the double lockdown strap for cross training, which was ground breaking for its time and fulfilled a shoe needed for athletes training for two sports. However, this is just one instance of why i gravitated towards design, there's a butt load of experiences i can gloss over but that'd be my biography :lol:

So it's literal details from the aesthetic to the function that you'd have to manifest and be able to explain when conceptualizing a solution for a user's problem. The more you can comprehend an idea, the more you'll be able to refine and come true to a design and solution. Reading all this may be abstract, but if you're able to empathize this same feeling, then design may totally be up your alley. The whole sketching and 3d modeling is part of the curriculum, but i've seen people who didn't know how to draw be able to manifest a concept from an idea in their head to a physical mock-up in hand.

Been a govt contractor for almost 10 years now. I make good money. Have a good professional network. Only issue is stability. When your contract ends you gotta find work if your company can’t place you on another project. Hasn’t been an issue for me (yet) but its always a possibility.

Job happiness? 5/10. The points come from the pay and autonomy I have, and the respect for my clients.

Don’t think I’ll ever be happy until I work for myself. Definitely want to get into real estate.

Academic-wise or just design in general?

For school, design schools are generally private and have high tuition rates. Finding a job is very difficult since the role is very niche. However, it shouldn't be discouraging if it's really for you because the curriculum itself will make or break you; it has certainly broke many of my colleagues who didn't finish or switched majors. Even some have finished but couldn't find a job, but you'll land a gig if you can self-actualize that this is your calling.

design in general, i'd just look into things you're really into and why you're into it. Being this is a shoe forum, i'd take it you're into shoes :lol:, but why are you into them? Does it empower you? Does it help you aspire what you want to be? As a kid, i saw my older brothers wearing shoes of they're favorite athletes, and I looked to my bros as super heroes, so i looked at shoes as something empowering and a way to become just as cool as my bros. I used to stare and observe retro cards as a kid and look into the details i gravitated towards, specifically the jordan 8s. The 8s were so alienating to me aesthetically, it was a design i identified with because it was not ordinary. As i got older, i understood the tech from the inner bootie to the double lockdown strap for cross training, which was ground breaking for its time and fulfilled a shoe needed for athletes training for two sports. However, this is just one instance of why i gravitated towards design, there's a butt load of experiences i can gloss over but that'd be my biography :lol:

So it's literal details from the aesthetic to the function that you'd have to manifest and be able to explain when conceptualizing a solution for a user's problem. The more you can comprehend an idea, the more you'll be able to refine and come true to a design and solution. Reading all this may be abstract, but if you're able to empathize this same feeling, then design may totally be up your alley. The whole sketching and 3d modeling is part of the curriculum, but i've seen people who didn't know how to draw be able to manifest a concept from an idea in their head to a physical mock-up in hand.
Thanks for the insight.

Day job is IT. My actual title is Health Care Data Analyst.

I work for a fortune 500 company and it's rated very highly (skewed for non minorities). I personally don't like the work but I have to admit that I literally work with genius' (most people on my office are actuaries) and that's kinda cool.

Pay is good but I'm not super passionate about it and I'd rather work for myself or for something that I'm more passionate about. I did a career change about 3 years ago, so I'm still ramping up my skills in IT. Overall the job is probably 5 or 6/10. If I was White and an actuary I'd probably rate it higher tbh.

I previously worked as a teacher and was wildly underpaid, but I loved the gig a lot more. Very chill and I felt like I was getting paid to be myself and just share game I picked up. Once I had a kid teaching just wasn't sustainable so I had to make the pivot.

During my teaching days I picked up 3 investment properties so my second job is that. It's cool enough and I hope to keep expanding my portfolio.

Last edited:
Me and my wife run vacation homes (Airbnb, booking.com, etc). Pandemic and lockdowns destroyed that business...
Forced to find other means of income , so currently I’m a fitness boxing coach. Students come to my home for personal training. Happy with the job since this is my hobby... but not enough students.

I work on taxes for corporate clients with a focus on banks and other financial C corps including fintech firms. It’s a mix of return (compliance) and consultating work. Now is the job fulfilling, **** no. But i honestly can’t see myself being fulfilled by any job. Works becomes repetitive and mundane after a while. It pays solidly which allows me to live a comfortable life and I’m constantly learning so that makes it fun and interesting since it’s either some new law changes or some regulatory changes.

it does help that I’m allowed a lot of autonomy and manage about 7 people and I’m not really micromanaged myself. I do like most of my clients though since they appreciate my help and my services for the most part which does help.

Job: Managing money for wealthy folks (making them richer)

Pros: Flexible schedule, no micromanagement, cool co-workers, ability to mostly work solo
Cons: Politics are stunting possibility of promotions, bad senior management, relatively underpaid, no major growth opportunities

Happiness: 4/10. I just want more $$ to fund my hobbies (volunteering, concerts, travel, food). I never once thought a job could make me happy; it's everything else that does.

Last edited:
I never once thought a job could make me happy; it's everything else that does.

Zo gif.gif

Critical care RN for the past 6 years. Applying for NP school with the end goal of specializing in vascular access.

Considering starting a burger pop-up once the pandemic starts to wind down.

Kind of how I am. If I job is stressing me out I’ll just quit and go somewhere else.

it’s easy for me though, my benefits and insurance are tied to my union and not my job so it all comes with me and I have no lapse in coverage. Great for job hopping.:lol:

had 5 jobs in 4 years, I’m staying at my job now though. I can do whatever the hell I want.

they asked me if I wanted to come back to work or keep chilling for two more weeks. :lol: you already know the answer.

with housing prices sky rocketing and everything else going up, a job is more than just a job. It’s their livelihood... Folks try and delete work when you clock out but it’s become a big part of people lives. Like their second or first family..

Everybody is right I’d say.

my wife takes her job super serious and is always talking to her co workers even when she’s off work.

me, I don’t talk to any of those bastards :lol: and when I’m not working I don’t think about it.

Bro that’s exactly how most women I’ve dated, female friends I have, and even my mom are. . They just want to talk about their issues at work and what happened at work. I leave work at work and just forget about it even if it is somewhat bothering me for whatever reason. Only thing I would discuss is it something funny would occur. We all have issues and drama at work at some point, but let’s keep it real, no one cares.

Bro that’s exactly how most women I’ve dated, female friends I have, and even my mom are. . They just want to talk about their issues at work and what happened at work. I leave work at work and just forget about it even if it is somewhat bothering me for whatever reason. Only thing I would discuss is it something funny would occur. We all have issues and drama at work at some point, but let’s keep it real, no one cares.

it actually has caused problems in the past. Because I try and be nice but at the same time you’re off the clock and work shouldn’t be stressing you.

I just learned to respect the fact we see stuff differently I guess. She’s also the owner so yeah... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom