What was your starting salary/wage straight out of college? vol. realistic

An engineering masters doesn't add much, it's advanced knowledge that likely won't be applied in the real world, but short of research applicationthat a Ph.D possesses so it's hard to justify paying someone with a Masters more. THis probably varies a little also depending on which engineering majoryou pick.

Originally Posted by CjMoney

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

I majored in History and Economics

My first job paid 40k per year and it was as a securities analyst and economist. My specialities are analyzing long term corporate and municipal bonds and doing conceptual/long range reports on political economy, particularly health care legislation.

It is a pretty sweet job and pay considered this terrible job market, the work environment is cool and while most of the people there are older and rag on me for being the "new kid," (when I was talking about 30 year bonds that were coming to maturity, they joked that those bonds are older than me what would I know about them) but they respect my abilities at what I do and I gain a lot of valuable advice from veteran investors, who have dealt with a wide variety of assets over many business cycles.

40k? Ouch... I hope you live in a cheap area or live at home. I live on my own and don't live that comfortably and I make more than 50k. First year BS Finance. 30k I don't know how people do it. I would have to rent a room somewhere or something.

How could you not live on 50k?

I have a feeling that with all the large numbers being tossed around on here the majority of NTers
won't chime in with their more realistic starting salaries.

I have no doubt that some of y'all are ballin' like that right outta school but
you guys are the exception, not the norm.

Originally Posted by SIZE TENS

I have a feeling that with all the large numbers being tossed around on here the majority of NTers

This

I got my 2 jobs through hookups

If it weren't for friends, i'd be working @ target
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by SIZE TENS

Seems like there are many Engineers in which case it is the exception.

Originally Posted by JFDOOM

Rexanglorum wrote:

My first job paid 40k per year and it was as a securities analyst and economist. My specialities are analyzing long term corporate and municipal bonds and
doing conceptual/long range reports on political economy, particularly health care legislation.

It is a pretty sweet job and pay considered this terrible job market, the work environment is cool and while most of the people there are older and rag on me
for being the "new kid," (when I was talking about 30 year bonds that were coming to maturity, they joked that those bonds are older than me what
would I know about them) but they respect my abilities at what I do and I gain a lot of valuable advice from veteran investors, who have dealt with a wide
variety of assets over many business cycles.

40k? Ouch... I hope you live in a cheap area or live at home. I live on my own and don't live that comfortably and I make more than 50k. First year BS
Finance. 30k I don't know how people do it. I would have to rent a room somewhere or something.

Word, People here in Cali can live off minimum wage. You driving an exotic and eating steak every night for dinner fam?

FML
I've been working here for like 14 years and I still dont even make 40K

*looks for nearest bridge*

45k, then 72k, but these are jobs... not careers, my boss can fire me if I look at him wrong
ohwell.gif

management positions for cellphone kiosksstores, always keep a side hustle/scam or 2 to save up

Major: Computer Information Systems, VUU 09'
Job: Entitlement Processor, creating administrator accounts on FINRA's site, giving investment advisors and broker dealers privileges on what they can andcan't do when researching firms information.
Pay: 25k
ohwell.gif
I'm a temp

Originally Posted by Oh YoU MaD

Rexanglorum wrote:

My first job paid 40k per year and it was as a securities analyst and economist. My specialities are analyzing long term corporate and municipal bonds and
doing conceptual/long range reports on political economy, particularly health care legislation.

It is a pretty sweet job and pay considered this terrible job market, the work environment is cool and while most of the people there are older and rag on me
for being the "new kid," (when I was talking about 30 year bonds that were coming to maturity, they joked that those bonds are older than me what
would I know about them) but they respect my abilities at what I do and I gain a lot of valuable advice from veteran investors, who have dealt with a wide
variety of assets over many business cycles.

40k? Ouch... I hope you live in a cheap area or live at home. I live on my own and don't live that comfortably and I make more than 50k. First year BS
Finance. 30k I don't know how people do it. I would have to rent a room somewhere or something.

Word, People here in Cali can live off minimum wage. You driving an exotic and eating steak every night for dinner fam?

Man people who live at home don't have a good grasp on reality. Let me break it down for u. Let's say 50k is 3000 a month after taxes. 1400 livingexpenses 500 a month car note 100+ phone and car insurance total, Gas 75+, FOOD Clothes Maybe go out a few times... Ya sounds like a ferrari and lobster tome... Srry for the formatting I'm on my bb. Edit: Ps look at my av, I drive an 07 altima 3.5se that was 30k. Ya I could have a benz or bimmer if I wantedto pay it off over 6 years. C'mon son...

Originally Posted by krazy88s

no wonder

500 dollar car note? brand new bmw i suppose...

Knock it off. You know its a certified used 2009 Mercedes-Benz

0ca16d28106e67430cd6fd4af09bf40677053871.gif

Dudes need to stop living beyond their means

if you make 50k a year, you shouldn't be driving a car that cost 55k

Advertising/Sports Marketing Major:

Job in season ticket sales with the Houston Astros right out of school - 30k

12 months later season ticket sales with the Houston Rockets - 40k

graduated 08 business administration... focus in accounting.... NO FULL TIME JOBS SINCE... been working temp jobs not making ENOUGH (could've been doingthis stuff in hs)... life is put on hold for a bit... no callbacks or anything. living in the bay area... its TOUGH. a full-time salary position is waiting forme though

major: marketing
starting salary: 45k
city: nyc

and yes i survived living in manhattan, on 45k without eating ramen noodles everyday and still having a social life, its possible haha.

I made about 70k my first year out of college after taxes in 2008.

I worked full time managing a restaurant, i built websites and a ran a very successful eBay store.

The cost of opportunity of working at the restaurant became too high and now I only do eBay full time.

I was a Business and French major, graduated in 2007.

no wonder

500 dollar car note? brand new bmw i suppose...

Is $500 not standard? What loan terms are you guys financing? I pay $459 a month over 48 months...3.99% APR

Originally Posted by Kakashi

presequel wrote:

Kakashi wrote:

20K to 30K TOPS!!!!...anymore than that they're lying.
indifferent.gif
roll.gif

http://www.bls.gov/OCO/

let's end the speculation and suspense
indifferent.gif

you dudes do not live in a real world....let alone ever attempted to.
smh.gif

more than 30K with a ba first year?....he sells drugs otherwise it's not happening

vol. realistic

09 grad
majored in econ/accounting
first year salary = 52K +2k signing bonus
san francisco

presequel wrote:

Kakashi wrote:

indifferent.gif
roll.gif

indifferent.gif

smh.gif

more than 30K with a ba first year?....he sells drugs otherwise it's not happening

vol. realistic

09 grad
majored in econ/accounting
first year salary = 52K +2k signing bonus
san francisco

Originally Posted by chagocal

Originally Posted by omgitswes

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

Originally Posted by JustScoreda100

Originally Posted by presequel

indifferent.gif
roll.gif

indifferent.gif

smh.gif

vol. realistic

nah son, not every one majors in some sort of business field or graduates with no experience. Pick the right field and get enough experience and you can see stacks.

lol...ba means "bachelor" degree,

like is said 20-30K tops
roll.gif

I've never heard of an Engineer who made 20-30K starting
indifferent.gif

Per your own link http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm#earnings

Average starting salary offers for graduates of bachelor's degree programs in engineering, according to a July 2009 survey by the National Association of Colleges and Employers, were as follows:
[table][tr][td]Petroleum[/td] [td]$83,121[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Chemical[/td] [td]64,902[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Mining and Mineral[/td] [td]64,404[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Computer[/td] [td]61,738[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nuclear[/td] [td]61,610[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Electrical/electronics and communications[/td] [td]60,125[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Mechanical[/td] [td]58,766[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Industrial/manufacturing[/td] [td]58,358[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Materials[/td] [td]57,349[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Aerospace/aeronautical/astronautical[/td] [td]56,311[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Agricultural[/td] [td]54,352[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Bioengineering and biomedical[/td] [td]54,158[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Civil[/td] [td]52,048[/td] [/tr][/table]

How you get corrected by your own source though?
20-30k? No engineering majors are studying on Friday/Saturday nights to earn a damn 30k
laugh.gif
60k right out of school? what's the point in getting a masters then?
A masters will get you to 100G's or past that, thats why.

yeah but you can get it w/o one too. oh well I'm going for my masters anyway since they're going to pay for it.

Back
Top Bottom