Whats with females not wanting to share their husbands last name, though?

Originally Posted by TSX24

Originally Posted by Nike Star Jay

Originally Posted by Nyota de la star

Why is this such a big deal?
Like someone else said, it's a lack of respect for tradition and for the man himself. How can you bare his children, cook his food, clean his house, etc and not take his name? Even if you don't do that stereotypical wife stuff, it's still ridiculous not to take your husband's name. Taking a man's last name is symbolism of that unison that you two decided to share once you got married. Feminists are so worried about taking a man's last name as if it makes her any less of a person.
i agree with you but where can you find a woman nowadays that does any of that...
eyes.gif
laugh.gif
[eminem] "theres no such thing, like a female with good looks, who cooks and cleans" [eminem]

Originally Posted by cocolicious

What's the big deal with tradition? Just because something was done a certain way for many years means it has to stay that way forever?
i can careless if da broad wants to keep her name, but i'll be DAMNED if my kids dont have my last name.

Meh, I don't have a problem taking the future husband's last name, but it'll just be a prerequisite that he has to have a good one..

I kid, I kid
laugh.gif

Each to their own, but I'll take my beau's last name for sure.

Originally Posted by Lazy B

What's up with some dudes taking their wife's last name though?
That's my problem with American society. We're losing touch of the original gender roles.
smh.gif
Men being househusbands? Men taking women's last names?

Wow you're a sexist.

Like someone else said, it's a lack of respect for tradition and for the man himself. How can you bare his children, cook his food, clean his house, etc and not take his name? Even if you don't do that stereotypical wife stuff, it's still ridiculous not to take your husband's name. Taking a man's last name is symbolism of that unison that you two decided to share once you got married. Feminists are so worried about taking a man's last name as if it makes her any less of a person.
Maybe western tradition
laugh.gif

Mother never did take my father's name. They've been married 20 years... never been an issue.

Why is taking the man's name a symbol of unison anyway? Shouldn't it be both of your names combined?
Well, often, that's what women do. They take their maiden name as their middle name, and take their husband's last name as their own.
eh that's no fun.
laugh.gif

It should be hyphenated if you really want to emphasize "UNISON" (for the both of them)
grin.gif

I don't see why someone has to change their last name, what's wrong with keeping it.

smile.gif

it makes me feel as if she doesnt want to be apart of my family and why not lessen the confusion. I want my house to say "The G**** Family"..

Originally Posted by J Dilla Himself

I don't see why someone has to change their last name, what's wrong with keeping it.

smile.gif

it makes me feel as if she doesnt want to be apart of my family and why not lessen the confusion. I want my house to say "The G**** Family"..and i agree with everything Nikestarjay typed

Well then I hope you find a nice girl who takes your last name and has no problem becoming your slave.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Falcon4567

Its also a symbol of the times when women where considered actual property, first of their fathers and then of their husbands. A woman not taking on the last name is a way of rejecting that sort idea.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Like someone else said, it's a lack of respect for tradition and for the man himself. How can you bare his children, cook his food, clean his house, etc and not take his name? Even if you don't do that stereotypical wife stuff, it's still ridiculous not to take your husband's name. Taking a man's last name is symbolism of that unison that you two decided to share once you got married. To me, if you don't take the last name, it shows you aren't fully committed. Feminists are so worried about taking a man's last name as if it makes her any less of a person.
Its also a symbol of the times when women where considered actual property, first of their fathers and then of their husbands. A woman not takingon the last name is a way of rejecting that sort of idea.

smile.gif

it makes me feel as if she doesnt want to be apart of my family and why not lessen the confusion. I want my house to say "The G**** Family"..and i agree with everything Nikestarjay typed

Well then I hope you find a nice girl who takes your last name and has no problem becoming your slave.
laugh.gif

idk where you got the slave part from.

its your house...your money...your name...your kids

see a trend there? the hell does the woman get?

i don't see what the big deal is if a woman didnt want to take the man's name...its a *#$+!%% name...doesn't change what marriage means or the workthat goes into it...

Better hope you hit it big if you just want a domestic wife. The cost of living is just too much
nowadays for one income to sustain.

Anyways, I believe in questioning some of these gender-boxed traditions. Why is taking the MAN'S name a symbol of unison?
Doesn't seem like unison to me.

Really! I had a sub in high school who had taken his wife's last name.
eyes.gif

I met this lady off here and she said if she gets married, she would want to keep her last name i stonefaced her and realized its been a trend. What are some reasons they would want to keep their last name since its been a known tradition to take the last name of thy husband

smile.gif

If you guys are trying to keep things a secret, youre doing a horrible job.

smile.gif

laugh.gif

Women have to stay home cook and clean for their husband.

That's my problem with American society. We're losing touch of the original gender roles.
smh.gif
Men being househusbands? Men taking women's last names?

Wow you're a sexist.
Really? I don't think so. I just have certain beliefs for my ideal marriage, if that makes me sexist, so be it. I'm not saying this is the way it should be for every husband and wife, if men want to be "househusbands" and take their woman's last name, go right ahead. I just don't agree with that is all.

i see taking a woman's name kinda odd but see nothing wrong with Mr. Moms...that just means she makes enough for him to be able to be home with the kidsmore...but thats propably her job right?

roll.gif
Diego what is your problem, nothing is going here.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

No problem, Im just saying its pretty obvious.

Let me know if you need me to edit.

nerd.gif

smile.gif

laugh.gif

Women have to stay home cook and clean for their husband.

not my woman

What's the big deal with tradition? Just because something was done a certain way for many years means it has to stay that way forever?

smile.gif
laugh.gif
Of course, because taking the last name = becoming a slave.

Some of you and that "independent" attitude...
smh.gif

To each his/her own tho'.
Originally Posted by Diego

If you guys are trying to keep things a secret, youre doing a horrible job.
I thought it was someone else who posted in here...

Back
Top Bottom