Whats with females not wanting to share their husbands last name, though?

I know for a fact I won't have this problem. My girl would love to have my last name
laugh.gif

I don't see an issue with a woman keeping her last name for professional reasons, or something like that. Other than that, I think I might have aproblem...

NT is funny. (in a not so funny way)
It's sad/funny to see y'all are really going hard with this "gender role" bs

Some of yall have to worry about finding someone to marry you in the first place, before you start worrying about last names and @%#
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

Originally Posted by COOLnificent

Originally Posted by QueenCitySneakerQueen

It's not a big deal to me I'll take his last name
Mrs. Robinson
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by SlamCity

She could keep her last name.
If I care about the woman enough to marry her in the first place,
I sure as hell am not gonna let something like a last name phase me.
But shouldn't she also care enough about you to take your last name?

how does a last name equate to caring tho?

she will give birth to your children...help you take care of the home you two have made...you're SUPPOSE to grow old together...she'll hold you down through the good and bad...how does a last name change any of that?
This bothers me. Why do some women make it seem like they are only doing the man a favor by having children? Why is there a constant reference of,"Giving birth to his child" as if the woman isn't getting a child as well? How can you use that as a bargaining chip?

Originally Posted by cocolicious

Originally Posted by Nike Star Jay

Originally Posted by Lazy B

What's up with some dudes taking their wife's last name though?
That's my problem with American society. We're losing touch of the original gender roles.
smh.gif
Men being househusbands? Men taking women's last names?

Wow you're a sexist.
What exactly did he say that was sexist? Maybe I missed it. Him questioning a man being a househusband and taking a woman's last name issexist? I don't understand that at all

I can buy my own ring, I don't want a wedding & as far as the other stuff that's about respect not tradition.
Yea you say that now but you wouldn't really marry a man if he made you buy your own ring. Be real man. Stop saying things for the sake ofkeeping face in a discussion. If your man made you buy your own ring he would be all types of names by your family and friends and that would in turn cause youto think twice about it. I don't buy it at all.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by Nike Star Jay

Originally Posted by Lazy B

What's up with some dudes taking their wife's last name though?
That's my problem with American society. We're losing touch of the original gender roles.
smh.gif

Wow you're a sexist.
What exactly did he say that was sexist? Maybe I missed it. Him questioning a man being a househusband and taking a woman's last name is sexist? I don't understand that at all

These so called "gender roles".

Originally Posted by J Dilla Himself

Originally Posted by blueLAMBORGHINI

I just called my boyfriend though and asked him would he take my last name and guess what he said.

"HELL YEAH! Anything that's yours is mine. That would just make us closer."

Of course I told him no though, I just wanted to see what he was going to say.

but you're 16. So i would guess your bf is under 18. What he thinks doesnt matter. Hes not a man yet, hes a boy
Either that or hes on drugs.

Originally Posted by Nawth21

Some of yall have to worry about finding someone to marry you in the first place, before you start worrying about last names and @%#
laugh.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

but i see it as this if she has a problem taking your last name think about when you have kids together

If she wants my name she can have it. If she doesn't want it she doesn't take it. Kids will take my name 110% sure though.

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

What exactly did he say that was sexist? Maybe I missed it. Him questioning a man being a househusband and taking a woman's last name is sexist? I don't understand that at all
These so called "gender roles".
1. I don't think believing in gender roles makes someone SEXIST.

2. Again I ask, what did he TYPE caused her to use the sexist card? He simply said he questions househusbands and men that take a woman's last name. Bothof which are minority situations that I am sure most of us don't personally know anyone who has done either. So how is that SEXIST is my question. Idon't see either statement being sexist.

3. For the girl that said she called her man and he said he will take her last name, you know DAMN WELL he said anything to make you happy just now. Deep downinside you wouldn't respect him if he took your last name. Like I said, you can argue if you want, taking someone's last name is an act of submission.You feminist folks hate that word, but women do it. Point blank. Women submit to their men. It doesn't mean she is his SLAVE but it means she is trustingin his leadership as a man and as the head of the household. So PLEASE stop using the slave card. It does NOT mean she won't have say so in anything norwill it mean HE will make ALL the decisions.

Taking a last name unifies the two parties from a name standpoint. It feels good to say the, "Johnson Family." But if momma has a different orhyphenated last name this can't be possible can it? It APPEARS to be a lack of PERFECT unity when a woman refuses to take the last name.

DCAllAmerican wrote:

I can buy my own ring, I don't want a wedding & as far as the other stuff that's about respect not tradition.
Yea you say that now but you wouldn't really marry a man if he made you buy your own ring. Be real man. Stop saying things for the sake of keeping face in a discussion. If your man made you buy your own ring he would be all types of names by your family and friends and that would in turn cause you to think twice about it. I don't buy it at all.

Im not understanding this, where did I say I was going to buy my own engagement ring? Someone was saying if you don't want to follow thetradition of taking his last name then you shouldn't follow the tradition of having a ring or wedding. To me a ring has nothing to do with being married tosomeone, same with a wedding, it's more of letting other people know that you're married. All I was saying is if I was with someone who didn't getme a ring, I could care less because I could get a ring on my own. I don't need a ring to make me happy or make me feel like Im married.

DCAllAmerican wrote:

Yea you say that now but you wouldn't really marry a man if he made you buy your own ring. Be real man. Stop saying things for the sake of keeping face in a discussion. If your man made you buy your own ring he would be all types of names by your family and friends and that would in turn cause you to think twice about it. I don't buy it at all.
Im not understanding this, where did I say I was going to buy my own engagement ring? Someone was saying if you don't want to follow the tradition of taking his last name then you shouldn't follow the tradition of having a ring or wedding. To me a ring has nothing to do with being married to someone, same with a wedding, it's more of letting other people know that you're married. All I was saying is if I was with someone who didn't get me a ring, I could care less because I could get a ring on my own. I don't need a ring to make me happy or make me feel like Im married.

Ok I apologize. I read the response incorrectly.

I respect and agree with your views on rings/marriages. I think they are BS too and nothing but an external display of marriage. Means nothing to me. Justsomething women have been drilled into believing matters and shows how much a man loves you.

Much respect.

DCAllAmerican wrote:

Im not understanding this, where did I say I was going to buy my own engagement ring? Someone was saying if you don't want to follow the tradition of taking his last name then you shouldn't follow the tradition of having a ring or wedding. To me a ring has nothing to do with being married to someone, same with a wedding, it's more of letting other people know that you're married. All I was saying is if I was with someone who didn't get me a ring, I could care less because I could get a ring on my own. I don't need a ring to make me happy or make me feel like Im married.
Ok I apologize. I read the response incorrectly.

I respect and agree with your views on rings/marriages. I think they are BS too and nothing but an external display of marriage. Means nothing to me. Just something women have been drilled into believing matters and shows how much a man loves you.

Much respect.

Finally someone understands what I'm trying to say.
laugh.gif

I said your kids as in the two of you. Just like I said the house you two make together or whatever I said.

DCAllAmerican wrote:

**Cough** ****** *%$+ **Cough**

What is that, a Chanel bag in your avy?

i might have mine hyphenated. i am the only girl out of 5 kids that share the same name...all my other siblings have different last names. 2 of my brothershave passed. I think i am destined for greatness and our last name needs to be in the limelight.

I only read through the first few pages of this thread but
eek.gif
laugh.gif
at the asinine "arguments" the males in here are using for why a wifeshould take a husband's last name. "Symbol of unity?" "If she wants to share my bank account andhouse?" "If she wants to carry my children?"
eyes.gif

This is seriously pathetic. There is honestly no good reason that has been posted as to why a woman should take your last name; tradition has also been citedbut this is almost never a good reason to continue any practice. Some of y'all must be wither really narcissistic or really insecure with yourselves...

Originally Posted by HOVKid

**Cough** ****** *%$+ **Cough**

What is that, a Chanel bag in your avy?
Nope sorry not bs. And yes I'm currently saving to get my own bag, I just have a little bit more to go.
smile.gif

smh.gif

Screw gender roles. If it was for archaic thinking we'd still own slaves so lets get off that nonsense. If a women wants to partake in these so calledwomens roles, fine but I'm not going to hate on someone for not participating.

Ok well maybe not, but traditional gender roles when it comes to the household are no longer necessary in this day and age, thank God. The woman stayed homewith the kids, cooking and cleaning, because she didn't have much of a choice. Women in the workplace while not uncommon was not the norm. Hell, womenstill aren't paid equally but we're getting thing. So, props to those who buck the norm or stick by their values.

roll.gif
roll.gif
saving up all your dough for a chanel bag. best believe when that man comes withthe ring and the check she gonna be fryin up the best bacon known to man happy she got a bag, fallin right into place of the gender roles she so fights sointensely.

Originally Posted by red mpls

I only read through the first few pages of this thread but
eek.gif
laugh.gif
at the asinine "arguments" the males in here are using for why a wife should take a husband's last name. "Symbol of unity?" "If she wants to share my bank account and house?" "If she wants to carry my children?"
eyes.gif

This is seriously pathetic. There is honestly no good reason that has been posted as to why a woman should take your last name; tradition has also been cited but this is almost never a good reason to continue any practice. Some of y'all must be wither really narcissistic or really insecure with yourselves...
There's no good reason not to take a man's last name, either.

Back
Top Bottom