When is it right to discuss salary with an employer?

I went to an interview yesterday and felt good about it. The interviewer introduced me to two current full timers there and both went to the school i currently attend. They were renovating the place and moving to a different floor in a year and he showed me the new floor and where he was going to be working a year from now. He asked me about my education and some work experience and i think my answers for him were satisfactory. 

I sent a thank you email to him 10 minutes ago and am hoping for a call back soon. Salary was never bought up during the interview. When I originally applied for the job it gave a range and says it depends on experience. 

In your opinion, when is the best time to bring up salary if employer never brings it up? I'm only asking because a few months ago I was offered an internship but the hours that they wanted me to work didn't work with my school schedule so i had to turn it down. It was just contact through email, then an in person interview, and then an offer over the phone. Salary was not bought up at all. I didn't ask either since it wouldn't work with my schedule. If i get a call back from the interview i did yesterday and they extend me an offer, when would be an appropriate time to bring up salary if the person doesnt say anything or forgets to say anything?

When they offer you the position they should have you fill out HR forms. Before you sign anything that makes your position official, ask and if you're not happy, try to negotiate. There's no way this would disqualify you for the position since it was never brought up and you have all the rights to ask. 

When they offer you the position its okay to negotiate. You should already have an idea of what the position pays though and you should be applying for positions that are in your salary range.

When applicants ask me about salary in the first interview it always gives me a bad impression. Wait until we make you the offer please.

They should give you an offer letter. Then you can negotiate. You should be able to squeeze more out. Just be respectful in your response

When they offer you the position its okay to negotiate. You should already have an idea of what the position pays though and you should be applying for positions that are in your salary range.

When applicants ask me about salary in the first interview it always gives me a bad impression. Wait until we make you the offer please.

I agree completely.

It's usually right to discuss salary right before you sign papers & officially become an employee

0.jpg

"Salary desires? 3 million dollars.....cash"

Back
Top Bottom