White-Collar 9-5'ers = How do you stay sane? Vol. Office Space

I have an office job and I love it. Fortunately, my job requires that i'm only in office about 10% of the time.

I have an office job and I love it. Fortunately, my job requires that i'm only in office about 10% of the time.

Yeah, like someone else mentioned 9-5 should be easy. Thats only 40 hours a week, if you have ambition you should probably be investing more than 40 hours in what you're doin anyway. If not, then the pay and ease of a 9-5 should be cool with you.

Originally Posted by Stuntman Mike

v3iqma.jpg

33w4lg6.jpg

hx2iy9.jpg

2cwlncg.jpg
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by ryair max 1

tired.gif
The feeling you are talking about just kicked in for me. Started a the job 3 weeks ago and it was pretty good up until yesterday. Most of my immediate coworkers seem cool and are my age (23) but I don't even feel like saying anything to them when they are around. I've been working with military legislation so far, which has interesting aspects but I don't do anything with it, just read, read, read. I just want to do my work and get out. Luckily I come in at 7 am so I can get out by 3, and I'll do a 10 hour day to leave early on Fridays but still...

The thing that keeps me going is my Navy OCS application package. I still have a lot of work and studying to get to the November board review and that has been keeping me on my game. After I get home from work, its straight to the gym and then notes for my ASTB exam.
did you take your exam yet? kinda sucks the boards are closed...which one are you looking to apply to? where are you in your package process?

Originally Posted by SoleWoman

did you take your exam yet? kinda sucks the boards are closed...which one are you looking to apply to? where are you in your package process?

My first choice for the review was always scheduled for November (public affairs) and they only have one per year so I have to wait irregardless. I am looking mainly at public affairs, surface warfare, and maybe Intel/Information warfare. 

I took the exam and missed the competitive mark by 5 points
frown.gif
(OAR was 45, 50 was considered competitive). Apparently I took the easier version too (5).

My package is coming along slowly but I'm still working on it. Since I still have quite a long time til November, I still need one more reference (DD-370), 1 more interview for the public affairs review, write a statement of interest, and take a PRT.

Are you looking to go to OCS? What boards are you looking at?

I work a 9-530..its pretty cool since the type of job i do I may be in court one day, out in the field another day, or out in the schools to make sure they actually went to school. I listen to music to make the day go by faster. But my day pretty much goes fast especially if I have to issue violations to my clients.

Originally Posted by ryair max 1

Originally Posted by SoleWoman

My first choice for the review was always scheduled for November (public affairs) and they only have one per year so I have to wait irregardless. I am looking mainly at public affairs, surface warfare, and maybe Intel/Information warfare. 

I took the exam and missed the competitive mark by 5 points
frown.gif
(OAR was 45, 50 was considered competitive). Apparently I took the easier version too (5).

My package is coming along slowly but I'm still working on it. Since I still have quite a long time til November, I still need one more reference (DD-370), 1 more interview for the public affairs review, write a statement of interest, and take a PRT.

Are you looking to go to OCS? What boards are you looking at?

navy cant test you for prt before commissioning i heard...im looking more for ods. my first choice is cyber warfare. backups are intel/crypto/swo. mine has been a long process as well. i went to go talk to my recruiter in oct...im finalizing my medical stuff now...hopefully i will be done with that tomorrow. i didnt test well on the astb either...im not a good test taker, especially since i have no naval background. but i have a decnet amount of comm serv and im in grad school so my recruiter says he thinks im still competitive. your field is very specialized so i dont think you will have problems...ive personally never heard of it honestly. mine is a new field as well so hopefully things will work out for us both. if so i might be outta here in june thank god. you should check navyocs.com forum...they have a lot of info. i wish you well.

today is unbearably slow. some work just came in for me and i actually got semi excited. hopefully it passes time.

lunch in 15 atleast.

Originally Posted by ExtRaOrDinaRy SwAg

The government holidays
job security (except this idea of an inevitable furlough
indifferent.gif
)
Niketalk
Twitter
having an iPhone
and never having to take work home

Those are all the things aside from the obvious (having bills to pay) that get me through the week. I know a lot of people would kill to have a job so I won't take it for granted but it does get repetitive if you let it. Everyone wishes their job could be something they thoroughly enjoy but not me at this point in my life. I got too much student loan debt
QFMFT

Government worker
So repetitive, hate it
Too much college debt to not work or have a lower paying job

Like dude above said, it gets to be a routine and boring at times, but its better than having a blue collar job and busting my #$@ in 90 degree weather everyday. I get to kick it in ac, have a desk to sit when I'm tired of standing, get email/internet, and I get every sunday off for sure, as long as another day during the week.

Well I worked retail for the past 4 years...been in an office working 9 - 5 for about a month now

Office Jobs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If you don't see the benefit of getting off of work at 5 o'clock with the rest of your evening to do whatever you want. Try working 8 am to 12 am in a dead mall during christmas when you havent spent time with your family in a month.

I love what I do.

Realistically, the 9-5 is dead. It's been dead. I work a ton of hours for 1/3 a year and have nice summer hours.

I hated my old job. So much so that I was unmotivated. Made good money but that couldn't even bridge my unhappiness. Leaving and taking a slight pay cut was the best decision I've made in a long time.

Plus my commute is now 15 mins by car and not the train.

It's also fair to say the sacrifice of working hard and a lot doesn't feel terrible when you know it's being appreciated by your employer.
I do look forward to my 37.5 weeks, no more Saturdays and of at 2:30 on Fridays.

As for my day to day sanity, it helps I like the people who i work with (didn't before). Go on a quick coffee run and workout at lunch helps a lot top. Breaks up the day.

For my admin type tasks (aka doesn't require much thought to do) the MLB App is worth every penny.

Originally Posted by BennyPowers

Well I worked retail for the past 4 years...been in an office working 9 - 5 for about a month now

If you don't see the benefit of getting off of work at 5 o'clock with the rest of your evening to do whatever you want. Try working 8 am to 12 am in a dead mall during christmas when you havent spent time with your family in a month.
Well obviously Office Jobs are great if you're using Retail as a measuring stick

Originally Posted by youngmoney

manual labor jobs FTL

6-2:30 (-____-)
I dunno about that I like the Warehouse Job I have even though ima temp
30t6p3b.gif

This office *+#% is boring I been doing it for five years...I been doing it so much to the point I'm convinced I can't do this my entire life 
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by ExtRaOrDinaRy SwAg

The government holidays
job security (except this idea of an inevitable furlough
indifferent.gif
)
Niketalk
Twitter
having an iPhone
and never having to take work home

Those are all the things aside from the obvious (having bills to pay) that get me through the week. I know a lot of people would kill to have a job so I won't take it for granted but it does get repetitive if you let it. Everyone wishes their job could be something they thoroughly enjoy but not me at this point in my life. I got too much student loan debt

this.
only thing shakey right now is job security...cuz of the climate 

Originally Posted by Im Not You

Originally Posted by BennyPowers

Well obviously Office Jobs are great if you're using Retail as a measuring stick

ok, lets use manuel labor.

Wake up super early, do physical labor in extremely hot/cold weather. Have a boss constantly over your shoulder (this is with any job, but when you're doing back breaking work that makes it worse). Get off after 8 - 10 hours, dirty, smelly and tired as hell. 

Only benefit I see out of manuel labor is you are atleast getting a workout, depending on what you do.

I'd rather willingly go workout after I get off from this buttery 9 - 5 at a gym with some females who a majority of work 9 - 5's also.

Back
Top Bottom