Who Here Has A "Good" Job With No College Degree VOL. 40K+

Believe it or not there are a lot of people with degrees that are working good paying jobs that do not require degrees. Me, for instance. I can't find a good paying job in my education/career field, so I went into a Gov. job that did not require a degree but pays good with lots of overtime, and allows me to travel the world. I make more than my classmates that are teachers and (some) nurses, and my degree is completely unrelated to my work nor was it a factor in how I got hired.

Originally Posted by tee99

Believe it or not there are a lot of people with degrees that are working good paying jobs that do not require degrees. Me, for instance. I can't find a good paying job in my education/career field, so I went into a Gov. job that did not require a degree but pays good with lots of overtime, and allows me to travel the world. I make more than my classmates that are teachers and (some) nurses, and my degree is completely unrelated to my work nor was it a factor in how I got hired.

Whats the link so I can fill out an application?

Originally Posted by JerseyH8R

Oh yea i forgot. Fuzzy, is it a pool cleaning business or what? Also did you need to get a loan or you saved up if so how much did you get to start up

Yeah, pool cleaning. You gotta take a course/test to become a CPO [certified pool operator] That about 375 bucks, and is valid for 5 years. All in all, getting certified, register the business, getting licensed, and all the correct paperwork has totaled just over a thousand bucks. Not that detrimental in the grand scheme of things. Insurance is roughly 600 bucks for the year. May be more expensive if you were looking to employ people, I'm just working solo. I also have an accountant deal with taxes, and pay roll, that stuff's a lot more complicated than you'd think. The laws constantly change, so it's easier just to pay someone to keep up with it all rather than end up getting yourself into trouble with the IRS without even knowing it. You'll need to buy a reliable truck and the correct tools and supplies and you're all set. I've done pools for a couple years now. They can be a bit of a nightmare, especially in the Florida heat everyday, but if you do it right you can make good money.

That's the basics of it, hope that helps.

usajobs.gov
I would also recommend Federal Gov/DOD contracting jobs because a lot of them require no experience and they usually do train you. Military veterans tend to get preference, especially if they have security clearances. But the jobs are still easily obtainable without degrees, military backround, or security clearances.

currently in the video production/rentals business.
living in cali comfortably, 15-20k/month. Got a couple apple technician/software certs, plenty of experience. Still in college tho, trying to be at least part-time.
Dont know if i wanna stay in college tho, cant even decide.

usajobs.gov
I would also recommend Federal Gov/DOD contracting jobs because a lot of them require no experience and they usually do train you. Military veterans tend to get preference, especially if they have security clearances. But the jobs are still easily obtainable without degrees, military backround, or security clearances.

maybe I`m an idiot, but usajobs, seems confusing as heck to really search for gigs

Originally Posted by 4318MichaelJohnson4318

Originally Posted by omgitswes

Originally Posted by EcruteakCityBoy

laugh.gif
 experience > certifications
but im still studying for ccna
nerd.gif
Yup. But still certs are a great way to land a job.
I currently have zero but have a ton of experience. MIght try to get my A+ before I graduate just because
You cant get experience without the certs simply put most entry level it positions require at least a cert or 2 years hands on work so yeah you can get enough work experience to cover a+, and net+ but something like ccna is going to hard to prove with work experience if you were just at entry level position
I'm thinking about getting certified, I have a basic understanding in computer repair, and system building meaning if I don't know something, I know where to find the information to get things done. Which certs would you guys recommend for someone without IT job experience, that'll help me landing a job?

Did 4 years of college, one semester short of my degree and dropped out.
Received a promotion at work from $14/hour to $18 the summer I dropped out.
Worked a year making $37-$40k a year. Got a promotion to $55k

Next step is $75k and after one year at $75 you get a raise of 25k

Grocery business is good business if you understand logistics, inventory, boh and cad, managment.

Oh yah, I work 40 hours weeks, 2 days off, paid vacation, matching 401k's, good health care, and plenty of room to move up.

Currently an assistant store maneger for a grocery store.

Originally Posted by Defyant 1

I work as a trial paralegal in a big corporate law firm in the bay area. I make 77k + bonus a year and i never graduated high school or any type of certification classes . I have been doing this since I was 21 ( 10 yrs) and have never made less that 50K a year. The funny thingis, I never told anyone this as most of my coworkers and freinds think I went to a 4 year school as they did. I admit I am embareassed that i dont have any formal education or even my paralegal certificate. I have been thinking ab goign to get it for the last year and may make that move soon. I started a an entry level offcie clerk at 21 and worked my up up at various firms. I am a highly intelligent, charasmatic, charming person, and it doesnthurt thatI am pretty good looking ( no humble brag) but I truly think this has everything thing to do w/ my succes thus far.

Also, I am a trained chef, which is what i did my whole life; cook. I work inthe office 9-5, m-f then cook for a few different clients throughout the week. Whille I LOVE cooking, it is a hard gig to do full time in a restaurant and for a while i was doing both.
damn dog ur doing it..77k+ with no HS diploma....only in america
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by tdrizzle

Did 4 years of college, one semester short of my degree and dropped out.
Received a promotion at work from $14/hour to $18 the summer I dropped out.
Worked a year making $37-$40k a year. Got a promotion to $55k

Next step is $75k and after one year at $75 you get a raise of 25k

Grocery business is good business if you understand logistics, inventory, boh and cad, managment.

Oh yah, I work 40 hours weeks, 2 days off, paid vacation, matching 401k's, good health care, and plenty of room to move up.

Currently an assistant store maneger for a grocery store.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
whyd u drop out when u were so close to the prise?

what exactly do u do?

Originally Posted by FuzzyRobot

It's just a pool business. Nothing incredibly fancy. But in my area there is an abundance of pools, and I've got many contacts who're involved with property management. If all the agreements I've got lined up work out, in a couple months I stand to make over seven thousand dollars a month. It wont be easy, long days, six days a week, but it'll be worth it in the end I hope.

thats dope..owning your own business is what many ppl dream of and your actually doing it...props
pimp.gif

thread is depressing me a lil bit
frown.gif
frown.gif

Originally Posted by fac3 tak30v312

Originally Posted by omgitswes

Yup. But still certs are a great way to land a job.
I currently have zero but have a ton of experience. MIght try to get my A+ before I graduate just because
You cant get experience without the certs simply put most entry level it positions require at least a cert or 2 years hands on work so yeah you can get enough work experience to cover a+, and net+ but something like ccna is going to hard to prove with work experience if you were just at entry level position
I'm thinking about getting certified, I have a basic understanding in computer repair, and system building meaning if I don't know something, I know where to find the information to get things done. Which certs would you guys recommend for someone without IT job experience, that'll help me landing a job?

A+ is a start it beats nothing if you are talking about entry level but honestly a bachelor degree is also becoming a minimum in certain IT jobs.

Originally Posted by sladewilson

noboby checks for your certifications , you can tell them you have MCP for windows 8
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

its like at the airports the Sand people will ask for 100.00 US and give you the official certs
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

hmmmmm
might pull a up and under on my resume... put these certifications on it..

nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

usajobs.gov

maybe I`m an idiot, but usajobs, seems confusing as heck to really search for gigs

I second this.
nerd.gif

Not me, but I have a friend who was making $104K as a plumber on a government contract. Unfortunately he got laid off. It's happened to him twice now where he was making a lot of money at a plumbing gig and got laid off. Also, I have another friend who took some quality assurance testing courses and landed two different jobs both for $80K plus testing software and applications. However, he's in a similar situation as my other friend and was laid off twice.

pimp.gif
 at some of these jobs... it made me a little jelly as a degree holder lol 
frown.gif

Regardless of whether you have a degree or not, hustle hard NT fambs

Originally Posted by fac3 tak30v312

A+ is a start it beats nothing if you are talking about entry level but honestly a bachelor degree is also becoming a minimum in certain IT jobs.

You can buy a Bachelor Degree for 500 , Certs are easy to get theres people with
   20 dif certs that cant even format their HD
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

I'm in school right now, but honestly I don't wanna sit in a office all day. I want something worth working hard for, I wanna bust my ##* and see the benefits. I'm too young to be living that comfortable life even if it is available, I'd much rather work my ##* off and get paid accordingly. I'm looking through this thread, and really just thinking about trying out one of these fields, and continuing school part time and just later in life trying out for an office job if it ever becomes too much. This thread brings me back to when I was 16 on NT, and just miring the older dudes on here thinking y'all was really all bros and ##+% 
laugh.gif
. This is cool though, this should be what NT is about, meeting dudes in different walks of life, learning from each other, helping each other out, and guiding those who want to be guided. Best thread I've seen in a long time on here

Originally Posted by Wade187

I'm in school right now, but honestly I don't wanna sit in a office all day. I want something worth working hard for, I wanna bust my ##* and see the benefits. I'm too young to be living that comfortable life even if it is available, I'd much rather work my ##* off and get paid accordingly. I'm looking through this thread, and really just thinking about trying out one of these fields, and continuing school part time and just later in life trying out for an office job if it ever becomes too much. This thread brings me back to when I was 16 on NT, and just miring the older dudes on here thinking y'all was really all bros and ##+% 
laugh.gif
. This is cool though, this should be what NT is about, meeting dudes in different walks of life, learning from each other, helping each other out, and guiding those who want to be guided. Best thread I've seen in a long time on here
education should be #1 priority. . .

Yall better be REAL careful buying bachelor's degrees or taking whatever other advice sladewilson is throwing out there. I'm not sure what jobs you all are applying for, but I've never heard of an employer who is paying 80k+ who DOESN'T do a background check or check your references on your resume.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Yall better be REAL careful buying bachelor's degrees or taking whatever other advice sladewilson is throwing out there. I'm not sure what jobs you all are applying for, but I've never heard of an employer who is paying 80k+ who DOESN'T do a background check or check your references on your resume.
references ? you can use your friends , or use google voice and setup 3 accounts use that for references , just use an accent everytime
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
 and background checks can be bought , have them mail you the results , scan upload , photoshop , change convicted to innocent or not convicted
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom