Who is the all time most famous athlete in the world?

I'd approach this question like if you ask 100 random people whether or not they would recognize a name, they'd say yes.

In that regard, probably this guy.

495f9323073fbccf1082794f8091438c

I think Jordan, Ronaldo, and Messi are also in the mix.

For women, I'd say between Serena and Sharapova.

Tyson is really high up there as well as David Beckham, they're probably just under Ali and MJ and Pele

What generation you guys targeting with this?

Anyone under thirty know anything about Ali outside of that he is a boxer?
MJ's shoe brand keeps his legacy alive and well possibly even growing.
Cristiano has come up in another era with social media driving popularity/famousness.
Pele is the biggest name in the biggest sport.

If pressed to pick one TODAY, it would be MJ for the fact that multiple generations are still alive today who saw him play, his brand is still popular among consumers who didn't see him play, and his contemporaries are still active in media to keep the legend growing.
Where I am from Ali is huge during black history month. We cover how he sacrificed 3 years of his prime and forfeited his belt because his beliefs on refusing to fight in the war and prison time. Ali came out of prison and reclaimed his championship.
My 11 and 15 year old wrote papers on Ali and have a bunch of books on him in their school libraries.

Where I am from Ali is huge during black history month. We cover how he sacrificed 3 years of his prime and forfeited his belt because his beliefs on refusing to fight in the war and prison time. Ali came out of prison and reclaimed his championship.
My 11 and 15 year old wrote papers on Ali and have a bunch of books on him in their school libraries.
Think that is still a specific segment being represented.
After doing some research I'm not sure it is MJ. Cristiano is at another level.

We are all going to romanticize and wax nostalgic about whomever we feel a connection to and that clouds judgement in the end.

If we took headshots of these athletes into different neighborhoods in different parts of the world, who would be recognized? Just a headshot, no uniform showing what sport they participated in.

Michael Jordan without a doubt is the ultimate sports icon that transcends generations.

The guy is selling more sneakers/merchandise the market than anyone else in sports.

He’s also a billionaire.

Just a thought, I wonder if Ali had been made into a brand by Nike like Jordan was, how big he would be today?

Jordan.

I'm sure everyone has heard someone referred to as the Michael Jordan of _____. Ali is a close second though.

Top 10 active (in no particular order):

Rafa
CR7
Serena
Federer
Messi
Neymar
Tiger
Pogba
Sharapova
Lewis Hamilton

Michael Jordan, even with the huge bias of being a fan in the late 80's and 90's. He rode that entire wave of the home vhs explosion, nationally-televised games (with no delay), and brand marketing, and dude became a superhero.

I view the Jumpman logo as a symbol of how brilliant Nike is. I view my fav Jordan’s in the series to how brilliant Tinker was. I view the retro’s to how brilliant Nike marketing is at staying relevant. When it comes to Nike/Jordan I don’t think of MIcheal Jordan the person at all. Ever time I think of MJ the person I think of a douche.

If it wasn’t for Nike would MJ even be considered more famous than Magic Johnson?

A whole bunch of I in there. Average person don’t know who tinker is, they just know the face and logo.

I would say it depends on Generation. I'm 34 years of age so my generation, I would say either Jordan or Hulk Hogan

Curious...why do you guys list wrestlers in the athlete category? OBVIOUSLY, someone like The Rock is a box office draw, but I wouldn't put him in that same category as Jordan, CR7, Ali, etc.

They're glorified stunt men :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom