Why is patent leather hated so much?

I've been looking up some jordans and people are saying patent leather kills the whole shoe. I don't really see how that's possible because I can't see any difference between regular leather and patent leather.

The reason why many hate it is because it's been overly used in the past 10 years or so. It was cool for a few shoes, but then they started slapping it on everything. Classics were ruined due to patent and many skipped out on pairs due to a small amount of shiny leather.

However, this may be the least of your worries if you seriously can't tell the difference between regular leather and patent leather.

Can't be serious
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by ijapino

However, this may be the least of your worries if you seriously can't tell the difference between regular leather and patent leather.

I am serious but if it's overused then I see why no one likes it. I can't tell the difference.

Patent Leather has that glossy clear-coat/shinny finish to it as to regular leather does not...

To help figure out the difference is

patent leather

leather

does patent leather have less durability? just wondering what do you guys think about the patent leather on the midnight/varsity red/white 5's.

Originally Posted by zeru

I've been looking up some jordans and people are saying patent leather kills the whole shoe. I don't really see how that's possible because I can't see any difference between regular leather and patent leather.

124fyj9.gif

Patent leather is overused on so many shoes nowadays that's why. 

I'd like to where this thread is leading too.

In all honesty patent leather is great nothing wrong with the material.
Like everyone has said when JB start slapping them on every chance they get.
That is when things get out of wack.

Lame arguments about patent leather when one
Of the most wanted air jordans of all time,
The XI was the first athletic shoe to make
Extensive use of patent leather that i got
Even nicknamed as the patent leather jordans.
But i agree that some old school kicks
Should not get that patent leather treatments
Like on the I, II, III and V and VI.
Some models just dont look good with patent.
then again, a shoe like the XVI, XIX, XX made
Good use of it.

Only reason I don't like it is because it should of remained entirely exclusive to the 11s.

How the hell can you not tell the difference? It's like not being able to tell the difference between wood and cotton.

what does it matter? I can tell the difference in photos but when I see people wearing patent leather shoes I don't see any difference.

Patent leather is fine but it SHOULD NOT BE used in some areas. Those Royal Xs did not need patent leather for example.

so does patent leather have any quality differences between regular leather? i want to buy the independence day 5's but if i can't wear em for at least a 1 1/2 years casually i'm not buying it,

I think it's because it is what defines the XI's, and anything else (with a few exceptions, eg XVI) using it would almost be like using copyright material.

OP you need to specify, you mean the overuse of patent leather, that's a more accurate statement.

Back
Top Bottom