Why no profanity?

Originally Posted by jbv1

In reply to this query - there are other ways/words you can employ in place of swear words to express & articulate yourself.

Resorting to base language is lazy.

While cursing in certain situations can/or be warranted in a social setting/online, I've always had the impression that cursing in general is indicative of a lower level of education and a lack of vocabulary.

There's always the thesaurus.

Good on NT that this forum isn't littered with people whose replies are all censored emoticons. Get some real discourse up in here.
Most of what you said couldn't be any farther from the truth. It's akin to suggesting that people who favor slang or ebonics are intellectually inferior. I can guarantee you I speak as well, if not better than most on this board. My vocabulary is larger than an average persons and I have no problems articulating myself. I have a masters in English literature. With all that said, I just really prefer to use a colloquial form of speech most of the time. When I'm at work or in a meeting or in any professional environment I adjust accordingly. In casual conversation with my friends I curse like a sailor and use many coded slang words that someone who isn't from where I'm from, or even within my direct circle, might not be able to grasp. Personally I appreciate slang way more than proper English because it's dynamic and it builds on itself. Someone can say "hello" and get their point across no problem but I find it to be way more engaging to use a word like "sup" knowing that it came from "what's up with you" to "what's up" to "wsup" to "sup" lol. It's like we're sharing a bond indirectly through the etymology.
Not to stray too far from the topic though, I don't see why curse words are demonized the way they are. Yes, there are other ways to express yourself but that's not the point at all. Certain words get points across the way YOU want them to be gotten. If I say "forget that" and "f that" yes they technically mean the same exact thing but you can't tell me the former conveys the latter with the same punch that is likely intended. People can say horrible things in plain English just as well as they can with curse words. It's all about how its used. Obviously insults aren't allowed on here and for good reason but I personally feel like we should be able to say "idgaf" if that's what we want to say. This isn't the radio which is a really pervasive format. Surfing NT is a private experience and I don't feel like the addition of curse words would take away from the experience at all. There are many other boards, some of which are far more sophisticated than NT, which do not restrict the use of curses.

That's my two cents on the matter.

Originally Posted by RavageBX

In reply to this query - there are other ways/words you can employ in place of swear words to express & articulate yourself.

While cursing in certain situations can/or be warranted in a social setting/online, I've always had the impression that cursing in general is indicative of a lower level of education and a lack of vocabulary.

Good on NT that this forum isn't littered with people whose replies are all censored emoticons. Get some real discourse up in here.
Most of what you said couldn't be any farther from the truth. It's akin to suggesting that people who favor slang or ebonics are intellectually inferior. I can guarantee you I speak as well, if not better than most on this board. My vocabulary is larger than an average persons and I have no problems articulating myself. I have a masters in English literature. With all that said, I just really prefer to use a colloquial form of speech most of the time. When I'm at work or in a meeting or in any professional environment I adjust accordingly. In casual conversation with my friends I curse like a sailor and use many coded slang words that someone who isn't from where I'm from, or even within my direct circle, might not be able to grasp. Personally I appreciate slang way more than proper English because it's dynamic and it builds on itself. Someone can say "hello" and get their point across no problem but I find it to be way more engaging to use a word like "sup" knowing that it came from "what's up with you" to "what's up" to "wsup" to "sup" lol. It's like we're sharing a bond indirectly through the etymology.
Not to stray too far from the topic though, I don't see why curse words are demonized the way they are. Yes, there are other ways to express yourself but that's not the point at all. Certain words get points across the way YOU want them to be gotten. If I say "forget that" and "f that" yes they technically mean the same exact thing but you can't tell me the former conveys the latter with the same punch that is likely intended. People can say horrible things in plain English just as well as they can with curse words. It's all about how its used. Obviously insults aren't allowed on here and for good reason but I personally feel like we should be able to say "idgaf" if that's what we want to say. This isn't the radio which is a really pervasive format. Surfing NT is a private experience and I don't feel like the addition of curse words would take away from the experience at all. There are many other boards, some of which are far more sophisticated than NT, which do not restrict the use of curses.

eek.gif
 Did not know Ravage had a masters in english. Props B. And I agree with what you said too.
laugh.gif

Still, I think I like NT the way it is. Keeps it from being like every other sneaker forum out there. I hate I$$ and I feel allowing cursing would turn it into something similar.

it'll never go anywhere, and you can use it however you see fit off of here, so it shouldn't matter really. If you want to swear make a sneaker forum yourself with some help from some folks that know how to start up websites and do what you want. Swearing adds extra emphasis on what some folks are trying to say, that's why they use such words for those that are acting like they don't see why people do it. It just put's that extra ketchup on the cheeseburger.

there's plenty of people that swear and can get their point across easy without it.

I guess banning the swear words is apart of keeping this site clean, which I can understand, like other's have stated, there's not many forums like this where you can't swear, it's something different from the rest of the internet, because some forums...most forums with topics like these that we have are off the chains in terms of the threads, the posters, the bullying (which is another reason I see why swearing isnt tolerated on here, mods aren't having that e-bullying), etc.

Originally Posted by RavageBX

eek.gif
 Did not know Ravage had a masters in english. Props B. And I agree with what you said too.
laugh.gif

Still, I think I like NT the way it is. Keeps it from being like every other sneaker forum out there. I hate I$$ and I feel allowing cursing would turn it into something similar.

if you all about profanity and that's all you know then you come off as weak or uneducated 

Originally Posted by kdawg

From the other side - can you give a good reason for needing to use profanity?

Is your vocabulary so restricted that you need to pepper it with unnecessary words?
Honestly, this is kind of a tired argument
ohwell.gif
No offense.

I can write a 20+ page essay with a proper thesis, grammar, etc, but this isn't school. I agree that slurs should not be tolerated, but there are a lot of censored words that I feel should not be. And the argument was already made that censorship basically does not work.

I just got banned for three days for profanity, for what it's worth
laugh.gif

yeahitsRUST wrote:

eek.gif
laugh.gif

Man I got degrees on degrees on degrees lol. Just completed my JD. And I don't say that to boast at all. But its really a ridiculous proposition to suggest that how you speak is indicative of your intelligence. It's reminds me of that cliche/racist/sideways compliment some people like to give whenever they meet a black person who speaks proper english...you know, "oh he speaks so well." Whenever I get hit with that all I can think of is "trick please! 
eyes.gif
 "
roll.gif

And I don't mind really that cursing is banned on here. I just see the other side of the argument. I don't feel like it would hurt having it. NT sometimes just puts on this self-righteous air that I don't dig. It's not the format of the board that makes it, its always and will forever be the people.

Those who say "Do you really need to curse" are the ones lacking knowledge in the literary arts.
The emotions and connotations these highly-charged words carry is reason enough to allow them to expertly profess one's opinion. I can curse with the best of them, but I can also craft sickeningly sweet paragraphs of prose that would make a nun reach a high state of arousal.

Originally Posted by WaveyJonesLocker

Those who say "Do you really need to curse" are the ones lacking knowledge in the literary arts.
The emotions and connotations these highly-charged words carry is reason enough to allow them to expertly profess one's opinion. I can curse with the best of them, but I can also craft sickeningly sweet paragraphs of prose that would make a nun reach a high state of arousal.

THIS

Originally Posted by I AM THAT DUDE

LoL.I think it is a good question and question had potential. Like also, why is the US the same way? We are so prude about everything from language and also/especially anything that has to do with sex? Obviously the nation was bought up on Judeo Christian principles, but at what point do we realize that has accomplished nothing? Morally, we're among the worst out there and incarceration rates bare that out and sexually, well maintain among the highest std and pregnancy rates of a developed country.

In Germany, they put the nudy magazines right in the front of the store, damn near in the window with no covers over them as well as you plenty of nudity on television in the daytime, you see teens drinking and swearing (their favorite American song has a chorus refrain that goes "Alyce! Alyce! Who the ____ is Alyce!" with their parents yet they are not a nation of heathens. The censorship approach does not work.

The first settlers were Puritans that escaped England due to religious prosecution (at least that's what i learned).  That's why America is so prudish.

A couple of years ago I was visiting family in Virginia. We ended up at cracker barrel for dinner and i happen to be wearing an Ecko tee that had a topless, blue-skinned, women leaning up against a fat marker. Some lady sitting on the other side of this place took it upon herself to tell me i should be mindful of where I wear a shirt like that. "Its a family restaurant". 
indifferent.gif

be a parent and tell your kids there is nothing wrong with a naked body. there was nothing sexual about the shirt.

sorry to derail

Originally Posted by AddictedToFreshKicks

Ive seen boards that allow profanity and trust me it's not worth it

im on a board that allows it & its very active & has little to no bs

Originally Posted by Demps

Originally Posted by j4ck

cause there are kids in here, ******.
cmon, there was no need for that.
Well, if it hurt op's feelings then he's not ready for nt to have profanity because a lot worse will be written here.

It's not what it could be but what it could descend into. SOME might know how to "properly" curse but does anyone truly believe a great majority of NT can?

Originally Posted by kdawg

From the other side - can you give a good reason for needing to use profanity?

Is your vocabulary so restricted that you need to pepper it with unnecessary words?
/thread

I've always had the impression that cursing in general is indicative of a lower level of education and a lack of vocabulary.  
I feel the same exact way.

i wish we could curse. My vernacular is impeccable, but in a casual setting such as this, I'd prefer to say what I feel, without fear of persecution.

Back
Top Bottom