Why no profanity?

Originally Posted by HankMoody

It's not what it could be but what it could descend into. SOME might know how to "properly" curse but does anyone truly believe a great majority of NT can?
Sounds very Republican of you
tongue.gif

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

It's not what it could be but what it could descend into. SOME might know how to "properly" curse but does anyone truly believe a great majority of NT can?
tongue.gif

Post-partisan here but whatever floats your boat. I'm right and you know it. Just read the article about the "age of rage" that I posted yesterday. 

tongue.gif

Post-partisan here but whatever floats your boat. I'm right wing and you know it. Just read the article about the "age of rage" that I posted yesterday on Freerepublic

This comes up too often, so I'm just gonna quote previous responses:
Imagine yourself in an adult setting.  (Read: grown folks, not 20 somethings acting like 15 year olds.)  There are no children screaming.  You can be reasonably well assured that nobody's wiping their noses on the tablecloths.  There are no sweaty frat boys doing keg stands or hitting a bong.  When you join a conversation, you'd be utterly shocked to hear someone throw out racial slurs.  Nobody's gonna say "that's so gay."  That's more Wall Street than Sesame Street.  

The reason that profanity, nudity, etc. are considered appropriate for "adults" is because adults are expected to possess the necessary discretion to handle such content appropriately.  If you take an 8 year old to an R rated movie, they're gonna be cursing a blue streak at school the next day.  If you go to an R rated movie with your 25 year old friends, you don't expect them to blurt out at a professional gathering the next day, "I saw Halle Berry's boobs last night!  It was SO #%*(&@! awesome!!!"  

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that you're a grown man or woman.  You're in a semi-public space with a diverse group of people.  Are you gonna blurt out racial slurs and start leafing through issues of Hustler?  NT requires you to act like an adult.  Redundantly, if that's not to your liking then hop the fence and head to a competing site.  We've already established our site's core principles and they've worked pretty well for the past 11 years.  

The moment we reduce ourselves to the lowest common denominator, we lose what makes NikeTalk unique.  Whether you think allowing profanity would be fun or not, hopefully you respect the fact that we're one of very few sites in this sector with principles.  We prize the user experience and will not sell that out.  Part of what we consider essential to our user experience is the promotion of a respectful environment.  

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

tongue.gif

Post-partisan here but whatever floats your boat. I'm right wing and you know it. Just read the article about the "age of rage" that I posted yesterday on Freerepublic

I had to google that... 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

*shrugs*

Post-partisan here but whatever floats your boat. I'm right and you know it. Just read the article about the "age of rage" that I posted yesterday. 
link?

I like how the first reply gets the poster warned and everybody quotes it after.

As for the topic I don't see what addition profanity would bring here since most times it's used to flame.

Back
Top Bottom