Why the sneaker game will never be the same.

As folks have said, this is the information age, and as such, it's way easier to fake the funk and front like you've been down since you were in diapers. Kids these days say %!!! like, "I've been down ever since I got my first pair of retro XI's at my baptism", but statements like that are just weak attempts to affiliate themselves with an older crowd...it's what kids do. Nowadays, anyone can pick up an issue of Sole Collector or google images of eastbay catalogs and be all in the mix, but the older generations knows
wink.gif

To be real though, all this exposure has really thinned out the real Sneakerheads from the hypebeasts, and for that, I'm okay with the hype. Just talk to someone for a few minutes and if you're a real head, you'll know what a poser sounds like. Every other line is something like, "man, these retros suck. I remember when I was in 6th grade 5 years ago, THAT'S when sneakers were serious!". Once you hear them complain about how bad the retro joints are, you'll know why you're dealing with. Retros haven't been around that long, and if that's all folks can talk about, then their knowledge obviously doesn't run that deep.

In the end, just like the sneaker game, it's all about one-upping the next dude with a better memory of how the game "used to be", but just like the sneaker game, some folks' memories are just retros of the original, and the older folks can spot retros and fakes a mile away.

Originally Posted by Rapasaurus

Originally Posted by Ak1ck54l1f3R

You guys need to understand that the world is changing and baggy jeans are NOT cool.  Do you see any high end denim companies making baggy jeans..NO.  Naked and famous, evisu(to some degree), Samurai, Atelier Du Laurance to name a few.  Step your denim game up because nothing pulls together a legendary shoe like some high quality jeans.  And when we talk about skinny jeans, we arent talking about jeans like girls, we're talking about jeans that actually FIT. peace.

Finally someone agrees, why walk around with the "Gangster Look" and be labeled a gang member, drug dealer, etc when
you can just wear some Jeans that actually fit and look presentable as well as stylish?!?!?!

Guess some dudes just don't get, ive seen Real Hip-Hop heads (Common, Nas, Kid Cudi, etc) wear Skinny Jeans which goes to show that
TIMES ARE CHANGING SO "Get with it or get left behind"
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
!!!

Do you have a middle school education? Seriously.

TheAdiMac wrote:
Stories like these will never happen again, with all of the hypebeasts, and seeing everything 6 months before it comes out. Not to sound like an elitist, but I dont really see the draw to Jordan brand for all of these kids that never even saw Mike play or if they did he was in a Wizards uni. Good God almighty I cant wait for the Jordan fad to pass. With all this said, Ill still probably end up with the Cool Grey's, but Ill either have to camp out for them, get lucky on the internet, or pay reseller prices. All the mean while some 15 year old kid in his skinny Jeans will camp out. Or some guy will drop 2 grand and resell everything he gets. The Sneaker game is in a sad state. Post here if you agree.

Me and a guy who works for footlocker who has a strong connect in nike/brand jordan had this conversation a couple months ago when all the hype emerged with the infrared pack. He was saying that some people who work in the companies see how much people seek original colorways or whatever of certain sneakers and decide to create a buzz by releasing early photos. Along with that being said, he mentioned that a lot of people who do the resale thing is a reason nike/jordan charge such a steep price on the releases. These new generation of "sneakerheads" don't appreciate the value of a sneaker but more so the hype around it. I know a handful of people that played ball in recent releases that were so called "must haves". When these sneakers drop nowadays, it's only dope to purchase them because everybody wants them. It has nothing to do with how the sneaker looks or how it feels. I don't want to go on a ramble myself, but I agree with a lot of you all about the recent stage of the shoe game. 

TheAdiMac wrote:
Stories like these will never happen again, with all of the hypebeasts, and seeing everything 6 months before it comes out. Not to sound like an elitist, but I dont really see the draw to Jordan brand for all of these kids that never even saw Mike play or if they did he was in a Wizards uni. Good God almighty I cant wait for the Jordan fad to pass. With all this said, Ill still probably end up with the Cool Grey's, but Ill either have to camp out for them, get lucky on the internet, or pay reseller prices. All the mean while some 15 year old kid in his skinny Jeans will camp out. Or some guy will drop 2 grand and resell everything he gets. The Sneaker game is in a sad state. Post here if you agree.

Me and a guy who works for footlocker who has a strong connect in nike/brand jordan had this conversation a couple months ago when all the hype emerged with the infrared pack. He was saying that some people who work in the companies see how much people seek original colorways or whatever of certain sneakers and decide to create a buzz by releasing early photos. Along with that being said, he mentioned that a lot of people who do the resale thing is a reason nike/jordan charge such a steep price on the releases. These new generation of "sneakerheads" don't appreciate the value of a sneaker but more so the hype around it. I know a handful of people that played ball in recent releases that were so called "must haves". When these sneakers drop nowadays, it's only dope to purchase them because everybody wants them. It has nothing to do with how the sneaker looks or how it feels. I don't want to go on a ramble myself, but I agree with a lot of you all about the recent stage of the shoe game. 

TheAdiMac wrote:

TheAdiMac wrote:

TheAdiMac wrote:

TheAdiMac wrote:

Honestly , ALOT of so called "sneakerheads" are just Hypebeasts. Spoiled Kids who really dont understand that having air jordans used to be a status quota on YOUR OWN success. Not because your mom or dad. I personally never had anything handed to me and have endured countless hours of labor ALL just to cash everything in for just ONE pair. And being broke for another week and Doing it ALL OVER again. Back when the REAL hustlers rocked jays. Now who can't ask their mom dad uncle or granny for some j's. It's not a trend to me . It's a lifestyle. It gives me that little extra confidence that "yeah, I work that much to buy me these jordans and the gear on my chest and legs, AND see me on the court if you want it. WITH these DS Jordans." Air jordan was ment as a PERFORMANCE brand. And I believe I am HIGH PERFORMANCE.ON and OFF the court. At Job. On the court. Jordan's on my feet.

What i don't understand is why are people MORE concerned with other people and how they go about their business RATHER THAN the actual sneakers themselves?

I mean yeah these kids/hypebeasts can be annoying but if they are the reason you don't buy sneakers any more...than you weren't doing it for the right reason at all to begin with.

The Kids/Hypebeast have indeed made it harder and more expensive to get the shoes that you want. But when you look at whats coming out these days I cant blame them for wanting retro J's. Think about, honestly when was the last time you bought something that wasnt a retro. At the end of the day buy what you like and want and forget everybody else.

Originally Posted by Cameron Nelson

You guys need to understand that the world is changing and baggy jeans are NOT cool.  Do you see any high end denim companies making baggy jeans..NO.  Naked and famous, evisu(to some degree), Samurai, Atelier Du Laurance to name a few.  Step your denim game up because nothing pulls together a legendary shoe like some high quality jeans.  And when we talk about skinny jeans, we arent talking about jeans like girls, we're talking about jeans that actually FIT. peace.

Finally someone agrees, why walk around with the "Gangster Look" and be labeled a gang member, drug dealer, etc when
you can just wear some Jeans that actually fit and look presentable as well as stylish?!?!?!

Guess some dudes just don't get, ive seen Real Hip-Hop heads (Common, Nas, Kid Cudi, etc) wear Skinny Jeans which goes to show that
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
!!!

That is quite possibly the dumbest statement I've EVER read on here, and I've been here since day 1
Co-sign
tired.gif

Originally Posted by StalRizal

As folks have said, this is the information age, and as such, it's way easier to fake the funk and front like you've been down since you were in diapers. Kids these days say %!!! like, "I've been down ever since I got my first pair of retro XI's at my baptism", but statements like that are just weak attempts to affiliate themselves with an older crowd...it's what kids do. Nowadays, anyone can pick up an issue of Sole Collector or google images of eastbay catalogs and be all in the mix, but the older generations knows
wink.gif

To be real though, all this exposure has really thinned out the real Sneakerheads from the hypebeasts, and for that, I'm okay with the hype. Just talk to someone for a few minutes and if you're a real head, you'll know what a poser sounds like. Every other line is something like, "man, these retros suck. I remember when I was in 6th grade 5 years ago, THAT'S when sneakers were serious!". Once you hear them complain about how bad the retro joints are, you'll know why you're dealing with. Retros haven't been around that long, and if that's all folks can talk about, then their knowledge obviously doesn't run that deep.

In the end, just like the sneaker game, it's all about one-upping the next dude with a better memory of how the game "used to be", but just like the sneaker game, some folks' memories are just retros of the original, and the older folks can spot retros and fakes a mile away.

QFT

Originally Posted by marsloves

People gonna call them the gray space jams
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

you know what
laugh.gif
: i wouldn't be surprised if I was talking to someone and they asked me about that.......really

Dude: yo DMVBatman you seen the grey spacejams yo?

Me:
eyes.gif
you mean the cool grey's?

i hope no one tries to argue with me that they are "grey spacejams"
laugh.gif
somehow i feel it might happen though.

Originally Posted by Dmvbatman

Originally Posted by marsloves

People gonna call them the gray space jams
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

you know what
laugh.gif
i wouldn't be surprised if I was talking to someone and they asked me about that.......really

Dude: yo DMVBatman you seen the grey spacejams yo?

Me:
eyes.gif
you mean the cool grey's?

i hope no one tries to argue with me that they are "grey spacejams"
laugh.gif
somehow i feel it might happen though.

LMAO hypebeast lingo

just wish kids would learn the culture first instead of making there own up and getting upset when us older heads bust them out on it... carry on tradition

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
!!!

NT should probably add a kids section soon.  Gettin out of hand.

Originally Posted by ItsaBayThang

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
!!!

this.

Originally Posted by ItsaBayThang

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
!!!

I agree. 

Back
Top Bottom