40k salary for a job you like or 100k for a job you don't like?

Ain't worth it man. Time with the wife and kids get sacrificed to kill yourself basically. All that money and no time to spend it. Can't see the smiles Christmas morning, exchange stories thanksgiving day. The older I get the more those type of things mean to me.
So what would you say to works at Target, Walmart, Bestbuy etc when they have to go into work on those days, cuz they aint making 100k thats for sure. 

Most likely they're hourly and get OT pay though, still sucks to have to work on a holiday though

The beauty of having options. It's a reason I don't work retail.

Food for thought, there's large turnover rate in consulting and ib and those careers typical pay easily over 100k (granted those who leave go to even higher paying jobs, but a good % leave because they don't like the work as well). Work like balance and enjoying your work is definitely important.

I'm taking solely my income. 100k isn't enough money anywhere in the US.

Get the f outta here with that lol. There are people living comfortably with less than that. You're not even putting any reasoning behind your blanket statement.
What do you want a full budget analysis? I don't think that's necessary, point blank 100k salary just isn't enough money.

I'm not asking for a full excel spreadsheet but you're telling me you cant break down in a couple sentences why 100k isn't enough instead of repeating the same thing over and over?
You won't be able to save enough
You won't be able to invest enough
Your discretionary spending is limited.

I don't make 100K

I live in a 5 month old house I had built in a gated community in one of the wealthiest counties in Texas.

I have almost 100K in my retirement account and 6 months of living expenses in the bank.

I have wife, a kid and I can still pretty much buy whatever I want within reason.

The **** you talking about man?
Congrats, that's some major stuff. I stand by what I said though.

Food for thought, there's large turnover rate in consulting and ib and those careers typical pay easily over 100k (granted those who leave go to even higher paying jobs, but a good % leave because they don't like the work as well). Work like balance and enjoying your work is definitely important.

Yea but those an gateway jobs in the sense that you use them to learn a lot in a very short time span and then use it to leverage yourself into a higher paying and better job after 2-5 years. It's the same reason people who major in accounting go to public accounting firms rather than get a cushy entry level accounting job at a fortune 500 job.

Yea but those an gateway jobs in the sense that you use them to learn a lot in a very short time span and then use it to leverage yourself into a higher paying and better job after 2-5 years. It's the same reason people who major in accounting go to public accounting firms rather than get a cushy entry level accounting job at a fortune 500 job.

(granted those who leave go to even higher paying jobs, but a good % leave because they don't like the work as well).

I agree, but my point remains valid.

I'm taking solely my income. 100k isn't enough money anywhere in the US.

Get the f outta here with that lol. There are people living comfortably with less than that. You're not even putting any reasoning behind your blanket statement.
What do you want a full budget analysis? I don't think that's necessary, point blank 100k salary just isn't enough money.

I'm not asking for a full excel spreadsheet but you're telling me you cant break down in a couple sentences why 100k isn't enough instead of repeating the same thing over and over?
You won't be able to save enough
You won't be able to invest enough
Your discretionary spending is limited.

I don't make 100K

I live in a 5 month old house I had built in a gated community in one of the wealthiest counties in Texas.

I have almost 100K in my retirement account and 6 months of living expenses in the bank.

I have wife, a kid and I can still pretty much buy whatever I want within reason.

The **** you talking about man?
Congrats, that's some major stuff. I stand by what I said though.

Yeah I actually live what you are saying isn't possible though.

It's not a guess or a theory

$100K and single in Dallas will have you living well. Hell, $70K in Dallas will have you living comfortably if you're single & not foolish. I'm paying $1200 for a luxury apartment in the core of Dallas. I need to cut my food expenses down. 

Probably going to rent a renovated duplex in one of the "hipster" areas right outside of downtown Dallas for $850 a month. Even with my bills ( multiple CC's included) and saving, I still have about $500 left over. ‎I think $100K in NYC is definitely doable without struggling.‎. ‎

Last edited:
$100K and single in Dallas will have you living well. Hell, $70K in Dallas will have you living comfortably if you're single & not foolish. I'm paying $1200 for a luxury apartment in the core of Dallas. I need to cut my food expenses down. 

Probably going to rent a renovated duplex in one of the "hipster" areas right outside of downtown Dallas for $850 a month. Even with my bills ( multiple CC's included) and saving, I still have about $500 left over. ‎I think $100K in NYC is definitely doable without struggling.‎.

It is but only if you cook at home and aren't foolish. If you drink and eat out all the time you'll be living paycheck to paycheck. My manager makes over 120k and he barely saves anything.

Last edited:
(granted those who leave go to even higher paying jobs, but a good % leave because they don't like the work as well).

I agree, but my point remains valid.
Most people leave their jobs because of crappy bosses not the work they do. 

Probably going to rent a renovated duplex in one of the "hipster" areas right outside of downtown Dallas for $850 a month. Even with my bills ( multiple CC's included) and saving, I still have about $500 left over. ‎I think $100K in NYC is definitely doable without struggling.‎. ‎
If you knew the tax, rent and COL in NYC I think you would rethink your assumption. Before you even touch your 100K subtract 40% 

I mean can you live in NY for 100K yes but if living in some pocket of the city and cant enjoy the city why bother. Its like going to Madison Square Garden but never going inside. 

Back
Top Bottom