Do You See Professional Wrestling As An Artform?

That kind of PWG stuff is not what should be looked at as an example of the artistry involved with wrestling

That's like using Freddy Got Fingered as an example of a beautiful film

Last edited:
That kind of PWG stuff is not what should be looked at as an example of the artistry involved with wrestling

That's like using Freddy Got Fingered as an example of a beautiful film

I disagree completely... The PWG match is a prime example of the artistry that is pro wrestling... Wrestling is about captivating a crowd and making the crowd lose itself in the moment... traditionally pro wrestling is about the struggle of 2 (or 4 in tags) men or women against each other in a physical contest to see who is the alpha... Pro wrestling has long been known to be a fixed contest, with different regions of the country adapting to this knowledge at different storages of course :lol:... The typical fan wants to suspend disbelief though and truly believe it's "real", and the great wrestlers throughout the years were able to create this emotion... To quote Terry Funk "I can't make them think wrestling is real, but I can damn sure make them believe that I am"..

But in the past 20-25 years, with the advent of the Internet, the wrestling fan has changed... With it, wrestling itself has changed... Not every match is a completely believable test of manliness... Lots of matches now include comedy that is obviously not "real" and would (and does :lol:) insult veterans of the business... But that is the reality of it... Pro wrestling is now simply a spectacle to be enjoyed, usually in a weekly episodic manner, or so I've heard...

But the heart of wrestling is still the same: captivate the crowd to the point that they lose themselves in the moment... PWG is so exceptional at this because the crowd more often than not is part of the moment... That finger in the butt train being led around the ring by a 35 year veteran and bona-fide living legend Jushin Liger ( DCAllAfrican DCAllAfrican ) can only happen in one place and that was it... The wrestlers knew that crowd and gave exactly what they wanted... They delivered in a way that completely made the crowd lose their ****... That's the goal...

Now this match was also the only comedy match on this show... This show, BOLA '16 Night 3, offered damn near every genre of pro wrestling possible... There was a lucha match, a hardcore match, an English catch style match, ect... During this show, the wrestling had the crowd in the palm of their hand the entire show... There was plenty of verity offered, and, just like the circus, if you don't like clowns, wait for the elephants... Except the crowd at that show lived each and every single act, and was, IMO, one of the best pro wrestling shows all year...

A lot of those same things could be said about FGF

Plays to it's audience
Features a respected veteran (Rip Torn)
Goes against conventions

And they're both the lowest of the low brow bastardizations of their respective mediums

There's a reason it was posted as a counter to the idea of wrestling as art

Many people who don't watch will not understand the many nuances that go into putting together a believable professional wrestling match.

View media item 2073587
Who over 9 believes this **** is real? :lol:

I do agree its an art.

Art is subjective.

As an adult pro wrestling is TRASH.

Its the purest form of art.

Unlike painters, or musicians or actors or writers...they give it all they got and it isnt done for critical acclaim.

Thats a very ignorant thing to say.

A lot of those same things could be said about FGF

Plays to it's audience
Features a respected veteran (Rip Torn)
Goes against conventions

And they're both the lowest of the low brow bastardizations of their respective mediums

There's a reason it was posted as a counter to the idea of wrestling as art

+1

Do I personally? No. Being a clown in a circus is considered art to some people. I don't see it that way, but I don't hold anything against people that enjoy either "art form".

Last edited:
Yes I see it as an art form. When a great match concludes I think about the false finishes, how a story was told, how the wrestlers made a connection to a crowd to illicit some sort of reaction. People always say wrestling is fake. The correct term is scripted, just like most entertainment that people consume in general.

of course
smile.gif

uh sure. just not my kind of art. some people would could say big bang theory is hilarious. it is not to me. its very subjective.

i respect the discipline/cultivation of their bodies more than the entertainment they bring, just cause its not my type of entertainment.

Wrestling came from the circus

The circus is performance art

So what does that make the wrestling stuff

Its the purest form of art.

Unlike painters, or musicians or actors or writers...they give it all they got and it isnt done for critical acclaim.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

love it my man sckid20

I'd rather play the triangle than watch wrestling fellas. Y'all can't be serious with this jibberish

I have no interest in ever watching professional wrestling but only a fool would deny that it is a form of art. When you think about it, these people have to sell a captivating show to an audience who knows it's all scripted. What may look like silly staged fights to some is actually performance art. People don't go to a dance show and complain that it's all choreographed :lol:

art form? perhaps.

but that all depends on who you are asking lol. "art" is different depending on who you ask.

"What is art?" is a whole nother monster lol.

View media item 2251984

if you personally think that whatever is art then argue away. its a dead end on both sides. Useless argument/conversation.

I have no interest in ever watching professional wrestling but only a fool would deny that it is a form of art. When you think about it, these people have to sell a captivating show to an audience who knows it's all scripted. What may look like silly staged fights to some is actually performance art. People don't go to a dance show and complain that it's all choreographed
laugh.gif
Wrestling is basically a choreographed dance-fight.

I have no interest in ever watching professional wrestling but only a fool would deny that it is a form of art. When you think about it, these people have to sell a captivating show to an audience who knows it's all scripted. What may look like silly staged fights to some is actually performance art. People don't go to a dance show and complain that it's all choreographed :lol:

is it an art? Sure. Not one that I'm fond of but yea it is. Your comparison is waaaaaay off though.

I worked for one of the bigger dance competitions in the U.S. I must chime in. This analogy is wrong due to the simple fact that these dance competition's are not scripted and the winner is not pre determined. There is a point system that determines the winner. The judges who are all professional dancers and dance studio owners/choreographer's themselves have a certain criteria they look for in order to give a routine points. At the end of the routine all three judges turn in their scorecard and the points are tally'ed up there you have your winner for whatever type of dance that soloist/group was performing in.

I think his conparison still holds up since not all dance performances are competitions

Back
Top Bottom