Fact or fiction: All Graphic Designers should own a Mac

I worked at Best Buy for a min, and in regard to pure hardware I always told people you couldn't go wrong either way. I do notice that its mandatory that students at SCAD ( Savannah school of Art and Design one of the top art schools in the Country and maybe world)  own a Mac, I assume that it's because thats what the people use to teach with. I already know that PCs are just as reliable, but would owning a Mac make life easier if I did want to get into Graphic Design?

I`m thinking about starting my own business just like every other person, I plan on sharpening my programming skills by teaching myself Java and maybe another language, do some Web Design, creating Apps, etc. Pretty much I`m trying to do this just because it feels good to be knowledgeable of things, it looks great on the resume, and hey you can make a decent side hustle.

I own a decent Sony Vaio that has an i3, Nvidia graphics card with 256 mb memory, etc, but hell I own an iPad, iPhone,iPod and i might as well own a Mac to get that full Apple Cult experience lol.

The thing I like about Macs is that I could install Windows on it (if Apple made it where you could install OSX via a virtual Machine it would be a wrap, oh well.)

What do you guys think?

Bang for your buck the iMacs seem to be the best deal, but I've kind of been leaning toward a 15 inch joint and using an external monitor when I`m at home, but I just don't know how I feel about dropping 2 stacks on a computer smh (solid state drive drives price through the roof).

Thoughts?

I worked at Best Buy for a min, and in regard to pure hardware I always told people you couldn't go wrong either way. I do notice that its mandatory that students at SCAD ( Savannah school of Art and Design one of the top art schools in the Country and maybe world)  own a Mac, I assume that it's because thats what the people use to teach with. I already know that PCs are just as reliable, but would owning a Mac make life easier if I did want to get into Graphic Design?

I`m thinking about starting my own business just like every other person, I plan on sharpening my programming skills by teaching myself Java and maybe another language, do some Web Design, creating Apps, etc. Pretty much I`m trying to do this just because it feels good to be knowledgeable of things, it looks great on the resume, and hey you can make a decent side hustle.

I own a decent Sony Vaio that has an i3, Nvidia graphics card with 256 mb memory, etc, but hell I own an iPad, iPhone,iPod and i might as well own a Mac to get that full Apple Cult experience lol.

The thing I like about Macs is that I could install Windows on it (if Apple made it where you could install OSX via a virtual Machine it would be a wrap, oh well.)

What do you guys think?

Bang for your buck the iMacs seem to be the best deal, but I've kind of been leaning toward a 15 inch joint and using an external monitor when I`m at home, but I just don't know how I feel about dropping 2 stacks on a computer smh (solid state drive drives price through the roof).

Thoughts?

you don't need it. If you have the money to spend, go for it. But it seems like you're on the fence about it and want someone else to confirm your "need." I say stick with what you have or buy a used older model off Craigslist

you don't need it. If you have the money to spend, go for it. But it seems like you're on the fence about it and want someone else to confirm your "need." I say stick with what you have or buy a used older model off Craigslist

You could install osx on a windows based laptop, too..

Considering you're in IT, you should already know that.....

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

my main thing is, if I wanted to dab in lets say doing some iOS programming, even though I`m sure they have the SDK for Windows, but the fact that you could run OSX,Windows, Ubuntu, etc etc all on one system, can make one very versatile. 

I have a good computer now, because I was programming on it in college, and I can buy more ram for it just for the hell of it, but still.

lol and when it comes to having the money, hell if I have the money I could add that extra 2 stacks to my car fund, but in reality this could be seen more so of an educational investment. 

The entry level 13 inch MBPs are a waste of money, but the price difference between those and a 15 in joint is
roll.gif
roll.gif
eek.gif

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

my main thing is, if I wanted to dab in lets say doing some iOS programming, even though I`m sure they have the SDK for Windows, but the fact that you could run OSX,Windows, Ubuntu, etc etc all on one system, can make one very versatile. 

I have a good computer now, because I was programming on it in college, and I can buy more ram for it just for the hell of it, but still.

lol and when it comes to having the money, hell if I have the money I could add that extra 2 stacks to my car fund, but in reality this could be seen more so of an educational investment. 

The entry level 13 inch MBPs are a waste of money, but the price difference between those and a 15 in joint is
roll.gif
roll.gif
eek.gif

Fiction,

Mac >>>

But if you have the right programs they'll work almost the same.

Fiction,

Mac >>>

But if you have the right programs they'll work almost the same.

Originally Posted by mondaynightraw

I tried it like 8 times using VMware it just didnt work. I'd get to the actual instillation screen and it just wouldnt work. idk I may try again with an actual copy of OSX because I was using one from a torrent.

I tried it like 8 times using VMware it just didnt work. I'd get to the actual instillation screen and it just wouldnt work. idk I may try again with an actual copy of OSX because I was using one from a torrent.

the entry level pro got some great specs and is all anyone needs really...my cousin does graphic design on a 15' blackbook from 05

the entry level pro got some great specs and is all anyone needs really...my cousin does graphic design on a 15' blackbook from 05

on't make such a big investment into something you're not fully committed to yet. Otherwise it will just end up being another computer. Just like you can install different OSes on a Mac, you can do the same on a PC. It really sounds like you want to experiment, so if you can't virtually install whatever operating system(s) you need, start cheap and get a used one.

on't make such a big investment into something you're not fully committed to yet. Otherwise it will just end up being another computer. Just like you can install different OSes on a Mac, you can do the same on a PC. It really sounds like you want to experiment, so if you can't virtually install whatever operating system(s) you need, start cheap and get a used one.

Originally Posted by Joe Billionaire

I did notice the new joints are impressive, but the model from 2009 was a joke.

In regard to the OS though, for the likes of Graphic Designing, is it that much better? 

I`m assuming just like how Android Devices may be 100 million times better on paper, the Apple OS is just so much better optimized for the hardware that it gives an
eek.gif
experience.

I`m not concerned about viruses and stuff like that because I`m tech savy.

Originally Posted by Joe Billionaire

I did notice the new joints are impressive, but the model from 2009 was a joke.

In regard to the OS though, for the likes of Graphic Designing, is it that much better? 

I`m assuming just like how Android Devices may be 100 million times better on paper, the Apple OS is just so much better optimized for the hardware that it gives an
eek.gif
experience.

I`m not concerned about viruses and stuff like that because I`m tech savy.

coming from a GD person, i feel like you dont need a specific computer to do better. The Mac just speaks to designers because of the visual and hardware solutions. If you are really a graphic designer your swag is on another level. But i have done web design stuff like hand code html in mac and windows. Its not like they are only making software for one platform.

coming from a GD person, i feel like you dont need a specific computer to do better. The Mac just speaks to designers because of the visual and hardware solutions. If you are really a graphic designer your swag is on another level. But i have done web design stuff like hand code html in mac and windows. Its not like they are only making software for one platform.

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

Tons of tutorials on how to make your own Hackintosh. I actually did that a few years ago on an old PC and imo it just doesn't compare to the real thing. Having to find workarounds isn't fun plus I appreciate Apple's hardware designs so I bought a MacBook and haven't looked back. 
And to answer your question, false. I think the myth stems from Apple having been used a lot in the desktop publishing world (back in the day) and carried over into graphic design. If you want to program iOS apps, you'll definitely need a Mac. I think you should start with your current setup, then get a Mac later.

Tons of tutorials on how to make your own Hackintosh. I actually did that a few years ago on an old PC and imo it just doesn't compare to the real thing. Having to find workarounds isn't fun plus I appreciate Apple's hardware designs so I bought a MacBook and haven't looked back. 
And to answer your question, false. I think the myth stems from Apple having been used a lot in the desktop publishing world (back in the day) and carried over into graphic design. If you want to program iOS apps, you'll definitely need a Mac. I think you should start with your current setup, then get a Mac later.

Originally Posted by Yeezy St Laurent

yea, worst case if this PC craps out, or when it's time to get my next joint I was looking at Mac.

And the main reason I was leaning more towards the MBP combo than the  iMac is when I eventually go back to school, I'd need to be able to bring my joint to school for projects.

Back
Top Bottom