Gut Health!!! vol. from food allergies to anxiety

Decided to take baby steps and ordered Hyperbiotics Pro 15 instead of the VSL 3. It's supposed to have incorporate a delivery method that keeps a reasonable number of bacteria alive through the digestion process. Anybody have any experience with it?

The first time i took it, (think i posted about it here) my stomach was churning 4-5 hours later...ji started looking up complications on the internet to make sure i was cool.

Next morning the toilet bowl looked like a disaster. but i felt cleared out and good (possibly placebo...)

I take it daily now, and doesnt effect me anymore.

I bought the 3x joint which is like 3 pills in one...but havent took it yet. Took 2 pills a few times, and no reall change.

how long do you guys usually stay on this regimen? come april i'm gonna attempt an all raw food vegan diet, and i kinda wanna get some probiotics in prior.. considering in the past i've had bad reactions to certain fruit

@tyisny Why Raw? I haven't seen any science to back up not cooking your meals. Either way, good luck with the vegan month

@tyisny Why Raw? I haven't seen any science to back up not cooking your meals. Either way, good luck with the vegan month

speaking on peer-reviewed journal I read some 4-5 years ago, any browning of food causes carcinogenic properties in the food and is also a culprit of inflammation.

again I read it a long time ago...given to me by a coworker who was on top of that kind of stuff.

Im not giving up cooked foods, meats, etc.. kind of an apathetic stance, but ima die anyway, ill make some positive changes, but ima eat meat and all that...(no need for a response, will possibly get the thread off track)

Does anyone have issues eating raw veggies tho? If I try to eat raw broccoli, carrots, cucumbers, cauliflower, etc, if its raw, I feel like my air way is tightening and possibly a allergic reaction.

speaking on peer-reviewed journal I read some 4-5 years ago, any browning of food causes carcinogenic properties in the food and is also a culprit of inflammation.

again I read it a long time ago...given to me by a coworker who was on top of that kind of stuff.

Im not giving up cooked foods, meats, etc.. kind of an apathetic stance, but ima die anyway, ill make some positive changes, but ima eat meat and all that...(no need for a response, will possibly get the thread off track)

Does anyone have issues eating raw veggies tho? If I try to eat raw broccoli, carrots, cucumbers, cauliflower, etc, if its raw, I feel like my air way is tightening and possibly a allergic reaction.

never with veggies but fruits seem to give me allergic reactions from time to time .. Probably because i'm so on and off with eating healthy, so when i introduce them back into my diet i guess its a bit over bearing

some veggies have toxins that needs to be cooked out such as broccoli and kale. it's their defense mechanism.  you might be sensitive to this.  fact check that though.

been messing with pre-biotic fibers recently that feeds healthy bacteria in your gut.  I feel a noticeable benefit, but will see how it does long term.

What the difference between pre & pro biotics?
prebiotic fibers is food for the probiotics.  it is undigestable starch by us in the small intestine and passes on to the large intestine where the probiotic bacteria eats it up and grows to keep fighting the bad ones.  I think that's the idea.  similar to resistant starches which I think is just another name for it.

once you populate with probiotics, it's good to feed it instead of keep having to take probiotics. 

prebiotic fibers is food for the probiotics.  it is undigestable starch by us in the small intestine and passes on to the large intestine where the probiotic bacteria eats it up and grows to keep fighting the bad ones.  I think that's the idea.  similar to resistant starches which I think is just another name for it.

once you populate with probiotics, it's good to feed it instead of keep having to take probiotics. 

Thanks for the heads up :pimp:

I don't have eczema but...

71slCcKUs5L._SX522_.jpg

I take a lot of supplements but lately I've been trying oregano oil and it seems to be doing pretty good. Along with that I buy the plain kefir from the food store and take a capsule everyday. Avoid the flavored kefir or yogurt of your trying to do it sugar just feeds the bad bacteria. Caffeine is also not good so idk why people are recommending coffee to help. If you want to fix your gut the best things are leafy greens(salad) bitter foods like ginger/garlic/onion. And no dairy except plain yogurt or kefir and limit sugar and carbs.

https://t.co/05GITqrBEF

The Science Behind Your Failed New Year's Diet
AT
Ashley P. Taylor
Jan 1 2017, 8:00am

Gut bacteria gets the last word again.
It's a classic problem: You can lose weight, but keeping it off is another story. This is particularly difficult for people with obesity. About 80 percent of the time, people who lose weight gain it back. Often, they gain back more than they started with. Next comes a new diet, and so the yo-yo effect—cycles of weight gain and loss—is set in motion. A recent study in mice provides potential new insights about why previously obese people regain weight so easily. According to the study, published in Nature, the microscopic critters living in your digestive tract might contribute to a tendency toward gaining weight back after losing it.

In the past few years, a ton of research has come out about how the microbes in the gut contribute to our health and metabolism. Eran Segal, a computational biologist at the Weizmann Institute of Science in Israel, decided along with his colleagues to examine how gut microbes related to the yo-yo effect in mice. To simulate "weight cycling" in rodents, the researchers fed mice high-fat diets for about a month, followed by a period of "normal chow," followed by another period of the fatty stuff (yep, pretty much the equivalent of your pre- and post-new year's diet). They also looked at mice that ate all normal chow, all high-fat chow, and mice that ate normal chow for two of the three periods, then went on a high-fat diet for the first time when the weight-cycling mice were returning to the high-fat diet. Notably, the weight-cycling mice regained weight faster during that third stretch on the high-fat diet than the mice exposed to fatty foods for the first time: Like humans who lose weight and then seem to gain it back again in a hot minute, the mice that had once been fat gained back the weight more easily.

When the researchers looked at the bacteria present in the guts of mice from the different groups, they found that the weight-cycling mice—even after losing weight—had different gut microbes than mice that had never been fat. To test the hypothesis that the gut microbes in the weight-cycling mice led to their rapid secondary weight gain, the researchers transferred those microbes to mice that had no gut microbes of their own and exposed those mice to a high-fat diet. Lo and behold, the germ-free mice exposed to the weight-cycling microbes gained weight faster than those given microbes from mice on normal chow. That is to say, gut microbes from a previously obese mouse were enough to make a lean mouse get fat. Notably, this difference between the two groups only emerged when they were given a high-fat diet. When fed normal chow, neither group—not even the mice transplanted with obesity-associated microbes—gained weight. So it's not that obesity-associated microbes made mice get fat; they made them susceptible to weight gain on the more indulgent diet.

So what was it about the obesity-associated microbes that was promoting weight gain? The researchers compared compounds in the different groups of mouse stool and found that the previously obese mice had lower levels of flavonoids—plant compounds associated with metabolism and health in humans—in their stool. They also found evidence for more (or more active) flavonoid-degrading bacteria in the weight-cycling mice. The weight-cycling mice, with their lower flavonoid levels, also had lower calorie burn for their body weight than the lean mice. Based on these findings, the researchers think that weight cycling leads the microbiome to shift toward flavonoid-degrading bacteria, which lowers energy output and leads to weight gain. Sheesh.

Could flavonoid supplements reverse that effect? In mice they did, as it turns out. More research is needed in humans to determine whether flavonoid supplements could help us keep off weight, too. The study, plus previous observational data connecting flavonoids with human health benefits, "makes an interesting case for flavonoids—but again, more research is needed in humans," Segal says.

As you come down off your holiday bender and return to your normal chow, consider keeping this study in mind. If you return to junk-food mode come mid-February, you risk having a gut of bacteria that's primed you to gain weight—or so you would if you were a lab mouse.

What are your favorite brands of kefir?

And do y'all be eating psyllium fiber, oatmeal, or other cereals for breakfast?

update:  been having great results with pre-biotics, natto, and just getting as much green veggies as I can in my meals.  and limiting gluten as much as possible.  so hard I know.  also, seaweed soup will do wonders.

update:  been having great results with pre-biotics, natto, and just getting as much green veggies as I can in my meals.  and limiting gluten as much as possible.  so hard I know.  also, seaweed soup will do wonders.

How do you eat your natto?

never thought i'd ever see a post about natto on NT. i ate natto and okra sushi rolls in japan that were really good.

How is yall's gut health doing?

Picked up some l-glutamine, digestive enzymes, probiotics, and chamomile tea. Big difference in only one day. Had the burps and abdominal spasms for weeks. Ultrasound came back normal, no infections, doc thinks I have IBS from anxiety.

I also tried kombucha again. I can't make it past a few swigs. So gross. Bought this brand:

Back
Top Bottom