How was the early 2000s?

Damn reading this, and I remember it all being true. I remember my parents Nextels and pagers, mind you I was 4 years old in 2000, I remember as far back as 98 believe it or not. I remember playing in Crotona Park and ALWAYS hearing the latest hot tracks, Ja Rule mostly. Every time I hear one of his songs, I get nostalgia. I wish I was a little older to experience it all and have a better recollection than the little snippets I have now. I wonder what I'll say ten years from now on this age.

I dont know if memory was right.But I remember a lot less people were looking down at a cell phone lol.
View media item 586706You got people who are just looking down on their smartphones all the time now. Can't even have a regular conversation and ****

i was in middle school and some of high school back then.

remember selling burned CD's for $5 each.

Jadakiss - We gonna make it was my ___

going home watching Toonami/Adult Swim, Wildboyz, Jackass, 106&park, Rap City, BET uncut, etc

had the OG xbox
my brother had the PS2 and Gamecube

Last edited:
Usher 8701 :pimp:

I remember paying a music industry dude I knew through friends like $45 to get it two months early :lol:
Still his best work. I was at Costco a week prior and they put it out. I tried to buy, but they wouldn't sell it. :frown:

Oh yeah...CD player at school. When Napster came out, there were only a couple of dudes on campus with a cd burner...those dudes were taking requests for songs and charging $5 per CD :lol:

Also, Jadakiss and the whole Gucci/fake high end brand fabric on sneakers :lol:

I remember being at my high school girlfriend's house when midnight hit to turn 1999 into 2000 and I thought the world was about go explode

Y2K :smh:
For some strange reason, I remember Diddy performing on TRL at that New Year's Eve :lol: Probably because he was rocking those black/red Jordan 15s that i wanted really badly.

The main thing is lack of cell phones (or cell phone technology). Very few of my friends had a cell phone until about 2002-03 (graduated HS in 2002). People were just more reliable back then, and you could carry a conversation without someone checking their phone every two minutes. Of all the things I miss, it'd be the simplicity of cell technology. Hell, give me 42-inch flat panels and all that jazz, but if phone tech never advanced, I'd be happy.

The main thing is lack of cell phones (or cell phone technology). Very few of my friends had a cell phone until about 2002-03 (graduated HS in 2002). People were just more reliable back then, and you could carry a conversation without someone checking their phone every two minutes. Of all the things I miss, it'd be the simplicity of cell technology. Hell, give me 42-inch flat panels and all that jazz, but if phone tech never advanced, I'd be happy.
Before there was texting, the kids used to pass around notes :lol:

My first cell was in the 12th grade back in 2002. It was the Nokia phone with the snake game :lol: At that time, only about 50% of my friends had cell phones.

texting changed the game. before then, you killed the voice to voice interactions for a couple of hours at night. nowadays, you don't even talk to people anymore. straight texting.

Right.

I miss the 2000s.

My hustlin days :pimp:

Last edited:
It wasn't that great to be honest. Might be because i was in middle school at the time

but yea

-Post 9/11 paranoia
-The start of War in Iraq
-Music was cool but the bad music was BAD. (pop music: Nsync, Backstreet Boys. post-grunge: Nickelback, Matchbox 20)
-Not sure if it has to do with me just getting busier but it seemed like people, including myself, spent more time watching television. I would talk to my friends about the latest South Park episode, Real World, etc.

note: I am noticing a lot of my peers starting to become those "when i was your age we had to walk uphill both ways" type old folks. Embrace the smart phone dont be afraid of it haha. If someone is looking at their phone constantly during a conversion, then its probably not that great of a conversion AKA small talk. I still have good talks about life with friends every now and then.

op never got to see da 80's or 90's? pssh....da party was already 1/2 way over by da 2000's.... wackness.

oh, gold was DIRT CHEAP compared to now....psssh..if i knew then what i know now i'd have 10 cuban links on stash...
mean.gif

Before there was texting, the kids used to pass around notes :lol:

My first cell was in the 12th grade back in 2002. It was the Nokia phone with the snake game :lol: At that time, only about 50% of my friends had cell phones.

I remember kids in high school (the ones with cell phones) bragging about their Snake scores lol. I got my first cell in '99 (Nokia). I don't think even 50 kids in my high school had one then (and it was a somewhat affluent school). That was a game changer. I had 60 minutes a month for calls, and people would ask to borrow my phone, so I was like "nah, man!!!"

2000-2006 were great years (I was 6-12)

- I hadn't a clue what sneaker collecting was (though I got my first pair of Js at 11 or 12).

- We used to actually play outside.  I went to the old stomping grounds this past summer.  It was dead outside.  I remember we would be out riding bikes, playin ball, tag, manhunt, all that.  The make shift/cheap plastic pool in the back yard, slip n slide, wetting each other with the hose for the sake of it.  Our parents had to forcibly come get us to get back in the house. These days kids stay on the Xbox and Playstation.  I feel bad for them.

-That 106&Park thing is so accurate.  I remember the day we and my friend and his older sister and her friend ran into the house to watch 106 only to hear the devastating news that Aaliyah had died.....dead silence in the room for a good min.

-Not even gonna lie...my moms the penny pincher she is kept using dial-up (AOL at that...
sick.gif
) until 2007.  Looking up pronzors was a dangerous task in them days.  That sound effect tho brings back memories.... let's not forget "GET OFF THE INTERNET! YOU'RE TYING UP THE LINE!"

The early 00s weren't that great at all now that I think about it. Ppl were paranoid after 9/11. The news was depressing as hell when you hear about the attacks that were going on overseas. The beheading of those guys. Iraq and Afghanistan. Everybody with the anti-Bush sentiment (unless if you were a hardcore republican). The economy and the job market.

Last edited:
Riding around bumpin what up gangsta by 50
Only phillies and dutches were sold at my spots
Dudes wit big a** cz r kelly lookin earrings
Black n milds
Long t...pinwheel sixers.....low white af1s...long chain
First down coats
Fake first down coats
Escalades wuz popular as hell and hypnotic
Chips from vending machines had more than 6 chips in em
Ecstasy was a helluva drug
Jean jacket/ pant combo wit the timbs
Razr
Skip school for infrareds, concords
Lots o s***

Man we stayed in a code orange or whatever it was...always on alert after the attacks. 

Still his best work. I was at Costco a week prior and they put it out. I tried to buy, but they wouldn't sell it. :frown:

Oh yeah...CD player at school. When Napster came out, there were only a couple of dudes on campus with a cd burner...those dudes were taking requests for songs and charging $5 per CD :lol:

Also, Jadakiss and the whole Gucci/fake high end brand fabric on sneakers :lol:

:lol: the good old days and yes 8701 is def my favorite Usher album but this right here might be my all time fav
View media item 586927

Back
Top Bottom