NIKE basketball shin pads

They aren't that supportive ....I would recommend something else. I use the calve sleeve and they leave much to be desired. I really like the material and compression of my shock doctor knee sleeves. Id also be interested in finding out what Kirk Heinrich uses for his calves

Famb.... I love these right here. They are super supportive and warming. Real reliable. I'm not sure u want those because they are nike but these right here are highly recommended by me.

^how much are they? If they not much just get some and find out for yourself fam

im not about wasting money. id rather a real response instead of you telling me to try them out for myself.

thanks.
It is a real response tho.....

Just not the one you want, if they're only like 20$ why not try it with little reviews?

I can't tell you how many times reviews have mislead me in purchasing decisions

And you're asking about compression performance accessories, some of these dudes could be skinny, some fat, too many variables for you to go by someone else's word fam

im not about wasting money. id rather a real response instead of you telling me to try them out for myself.

thanks.
+1 on saving money

those should have some compression but it's more for protection. the legit compression gear will have different zones/fabric to maximize the compression of the shin/calf/etc.. most will be made by companies that specialize in running gear.

the one i use is by a company called Zensah. it's a littel pricey but it does what it's suppose to do. that mcdavid level 1 works but since it's a single piece of neoprene, the compression isn't even and can get clamy. The best deals I found for these are on ebay or waiting for REI to have a 20% of members coupon. Note: They sell them in pairs (leg sleeves) on by singles (Shin sleeve).

http://www.zensah.com/men-accessories/

I happened to notice these on Foot Lockers website the other day. Still would have liked to see Nike release to the general public a longer length knee / shin pad compression sleeve. I guess you could always just wear the Pro Combat shooting sleeves for your legs. Just purchased the McDavid 6446T for use in flag football so I can update you guys on how those work.

:smh: at those Nike shin pads being $20 for a single sleeve. Don't even come in pairs.

Thanks guys. I use the mcdavid sleeve now. I think that's the brand. I got it from sports authority for like $18 for a single sleeve. Has the red M on it.

I have 2 $10 VIP FTL coupons that are pretty useless. Was thinking about getting the Nike sleeves 2 x 1 sleeve orders for a total of $20 for both. Not really feeling the concept of putting the Nike sleeve over the compression sleeve. Elite socks for the low it is then :lol:

Thanks guys. I use the mcdavid sleeve now. I think that's the brand. I got it from sports authority for like $18 for a single sleeve. Has the red M on it.

I have 2 $10 VIP FTL coupons that are pretty useless. Was thinking about getting the Nike sleeves 2 x 1 sleeve orders for a total of $20 for both. Not really feeling the concept of putting the Nike sleeve over the compression sleeve. Elite socks for the low it is then :lol:

Haha I'm in the same boat as you. I don't have any calf issues but I just like the feeling of my body beingwarm just like my use of compression shorts. I also have the McDavid ones and they are great. I have called around the LA area to see if any place had them in stock but it's a no go. I'll be using my useless VIP coupons on these as well. I'll get back to you when I get them and let you know how they feel. I'm guessing they will feel very similar to the arm sleeve. So the McDavid ones you already have may be better for the support you're looking for.

This is the sleeve I have now. I got one that had 4 Velcro straps across the back from Richards/dsg but lost it. it was chill tho. the adjustable aspect was cool. didn't like that it wasn't a sleeve tho.

palanilopez12 palanilopez12 - yea the no stacking stuff sucks. I use the bday coupon on everything over $100 so the $10 doesn't really do nothing. im like 65/35 on just getting the nike sleeve for the heck of it and sliding it over the mcdavid one :smh:

Last edited:
This is the sleeve I have now. I got one that had 4 Velcro straps across the back from Richards/dsg but lost it. it was chill tho. the adjustable aspect was cool. didn't like that it wasn't a sleeve tho.

palanilopez12 palanilopez12 - yea the no stacking stuff sucks. I use the bday coupon on everything over $100 so the $10 doesn't really do nothing. im like 65/35 on just getting the nike sleeve for the heck of it and sliding it over the mcdavid one :smh:

And that's why I love the bday coupon and thank all those for posting them :smile:! I also am pretty much going to get them because they are Nike but don't think they will have the compression that I desire so I'm sure I'll end up putting them over my McDavid ones like you had mentioned. I really wish I could find a place that sells them in store so I could try them on. If they are anything like the original Elite socks or padded sleeves it'll be a while before we see them in stores all over the place.

yeah, if you're looking for REAL compression, you have to stay away from the nike stuff. they suck. I mainly just use my nike pro combat stuff as base layers.

Adidas, Under Armor makes better compression products than nike. But the best stuff comes from running/tri companies since those are the majority that use and buy compression gear. Seriously, you should check out Zensah if you want something for your calfs and shins.

But, if you're looking for a brand that is more basketball related..Mcdavid has some that should give you more compression.

http://www.mcdavidusa.com/Product/6570R/MCDAVID_Compression_Leg_Sleeves.aspx

http://www.mcdavidusa.com/Product/6577R/MCDAVID_Compression_Calf_Sleeves.aspx

http://www.mcdavidusa.com/Product/8836R/MCDAVID_mmHg_Calf_Sleeves.aspx

back to your note - make sure you size the nike padded leg sleeve with your mcdavid level 1 neoprene on, if you plan on wearing it under.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the mcdavid knee pads (pair for $19.99) from amazon. They definitely help every time I hit the floor and I agree that compression gear in general has a nice warming effect.

can't wait for the review.. those only thing that worries me is the material covering the pads ripping when you take a fall and slide

Last edited:
can anyone take a pic of how it looks when you are wearing it thanks
Just by themselves or over top of a compression sleeve?
If by themselves then check the lebron xi thread. Someone posted pics of the Kentucky pes and they have on white shin pads. If over a compression sleeve, I can do it later in the week.

I scooped the whites from ***** Sporting Goods online since none of their stores carry them near me, I ordered 2
And another 2 came in the next day after I received the ones I ordered so I ended up with 4.. :smokin

Thoughts on Performance after a few weeks of use:
-They are comfortable and light (rarely thought about them while I was playing, I got used to wearing them quickly
-Seem to cover more of the leg than McDavids imo
-So far pretty durable

*For warming I'd say Mc David's are better because the 'tights' actually extend past the pad unlike the Nike ones

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Ok. Black sleeve came in today. I wear a M in the mcdavid and the M in these fit fine. I have to order the mate since I'm not doing one leg only. Quick pics for reference.

not sure if that's shine from the flash, otherwise that "compression" fabric seems pretty thin.

thanks for the pic!

Last edited:
not sure if that's shine from the flash, otherwise that "compression" fabric seems pretty thin.

thanks for the pic!

it is very thin. a few people stated that these aren't really compression sleeves as they don't provide any support for your calves. I walked around my room with one on each leg and I felt the difference for sure. the material reminds me of stockings. just a little thicker.

I was able to fit the nike sleeve over the mcdavid so I MAY go that way if I ever wear them. depends on how hot my legs get. :lol:

I've been practicing in them for for a few days now and heres my take on them. Better compression than the standard Mcdavid hexpad but the longer hexpad still has the better compression for the calf. The material is pretty thin compared to the hexpads as well. They stay up on your leg much better than the standard mcdavids. Im going to stay with the Nike because all of our gear is nike so it looks much better.

Back
Top Bottom