Official Mens Suits Thread ---- Post all Questions and Tips here...

Originally Posted by alan713

My prom is on June 6th, and I need to find a tux or a nice suit in NYC for about 200. NT what should I do?

Phone book > Tux Rentals > Find one you like > do work

Originally Posted by RFX45

Originally Posted by The Conejo

Originally Posted by SneakerReaper

Half Windsor Knot
rwjvps.jpg

PROPZ. Graduating in 4 hours, and now I know how to do it right
pimp.gif
Don't ever, ever forget the dimple.

Not always for me... sometimes if i can get it right i like to tie my tie with no dimple, as long as it comes out nice and smooth though... likethis...

111444508_o.jpg

[h1]Suit Yourself! A Quick Primer on Different Suit Styles & Cuts[/h1]
October 16, 2007

Details gives us a quick rundown of distinguishing aspects of worldly suits. While all similar,there are differences which distinguish American, British, Italian and French suits. Each style has certain defining characteristics.

American

00002f-101507-1.jpg

"The all-American suit-with an unostentatious lapel and lean pants-has its roots in the Ivy League style of the fifties. Thom Browne's21st-century, charcoal wool version, with a slim body and soft, sloping shoulders, could easily stand up to the rigors of Yale."
Thom Browne ($4,140)

British

00003f-101507-2.jpg

"The classic British suit takes its inspiration from the uniforms of the royal armed forces-the high shoulders and slanted pockets ofwhich are a hallmark of Savile Row's Spencer Hart. Other homages to tradition: a nipped waist and pants that are tapered, but not tight."
Spencer Hart (custom starts at $4,100)

Italian

00004f-101507-1.jpg

"The Italians aren't restrained about much, and the country's signature suits-with broad, slightly padded shoulders and widecuts-are no exception. Neapolitan clothier Kiton produces an inimitable version whose long jacket is offset by pants that fall higher on the ankle."
Kiton ($7,585)

French

00001f-101507-4.jpg

"With their high, notched lapels and angular cuts, French suits have the artistic gravitas of an installation at the Centre Pompidou. Thedouble-breasted, slate-gray incarnation made by Yves Saint Laurent-with fabric that has a subtle sheen-should be considered the country's sartorialambassador."
Yves Saint Laurent ($2,295)

^^^ Thanks for the description of each. Although those descriptions are helpful, the pics aren't. They should have compared each with the same number ofbuttons because the 1-2-3 buttons looks off. The pics may also lead other peopel to believe all French and British suits all has peaked lapels.

Also, why are they calling the French suit as a double-breated made by YSL when it is clearly single-breast?

Another suggestion for a good to decent shoe at a good price: Florsheim (yes they do have some decent shoes, sometimes buy one get one free as well) andJohnston & Murphy (they have some nice chukkas and ankle boots that would look good with a suit although boots are harder to pull off with suits. They alsohave a good selection of oxfords and blucher dress shoes.)

Thanks for the suit descriptions up there.

Here's a quick shot I took of the 4 button. Didn't come out too well(should've taken my hand out of the pocket, but here it is:

Couple of quick pics I took with my crappy camera. I share ties with my dad so I would say half are his and half are mine.
14o3s0h.jpg

33agkyh.jpg

1z50mxt.jpg

34p1d2f.jpg

Originally Posted by NCTwin

Here's a quick shot I took of the 4 button. Didn't come out too well(should've taken my hand out of the pocket, but here it is:
I guess it doesn't look as bad as I expected. It looks like your pretty tall too so it's easier for you to pull it off. How far or long is thedrop? It looks real long, then again, it might just be the 4-buttons.

^^You got alotta like..Dressy-ties...I got that funky stuff going on.

And...I can't get down with 3-4 button suits..I'm not saying they look bad, they look terrible on me..

I never was really a suit and tie kind of guy until I graduated from college and started working. Next thing you know, I could never have enough dress shirts,I could never have enough slacks, I could never have enough ties, shoes, suits etc. Before my closet was 1/8 dress shirts and ties now its 6/8. Aprofessional man can never have too many. That being said, I'm really loving this thread. Thanks for all the information.

I need a suit for a few occasions next semester and was wondering if suits from places like Jos. A Bank and Men's Warehouse decent? It'll be my firstsuit and would like to get something that will last me a good amount of time but do not want to kill my pockets.

For a 4 button suit, it's a relatively well fitting suit, and I'm not trying to hate or bring another man down. That being said, if you were to cometo a job interview in NYC in a 4 button suit, people would laugh at you. Matter of fact forget an interview...if you walked down the street you would lookreally out of date/place.

But I will give you props in that that's the closest I've seen to someone pulling off the whole preacher/pastor look and not totally looking like abuffoon. Maybe it's different in different parts of the country, but the northeast (at least NYC) doesn't get down with 4 button suits. 2-3 buttons isreally the only way to go.

Originally Posted by ryair max 1

I need a suit for a few occasions next semester and was wondering if suits from places like Jos. A Bank and Men's Warehouse decent? It'll be my first suit and would like to get something that will last me a good amount of time but do not want to kill my pockets.

Men's Warehouse is pricey, I bought a sports coat there for liek $350 which was more money than the 2 suits I bought that day at a place 2 blocks away.Try and look for some smaller shops to get nice deals on a good European suit that is on sale.

I went today to a suit shop by my house and picked up a plain black suit. They did my measurements and they're gona do some alterations to the pants. I wasjust gona wear a dark purple shirt with a black tie but does anyone have any recommendations for a diffrent color shirt and tie?

Instead of a black tie, try to find like a purple ties with a pattern in it that may be a different color or a lighter shade. Or you can get like a blue shirtand wear a red tie with a little blue in it.

Mens Wearhouse is the worst place to buy suits. All their suits are boxy. I bought my first suit there when I was younger and I hated how the salespersontalked me into getting a suit I felt was too big. he excuse was that it is in case I gain weight. I was a young 17-18 year old kid so I didn't really carebut I really did hate it. It is the worst and I have never returned ever since.

Jos A. Bank is a good place to buy since they usually have a 50% off sale on almost a daily basis. You just have to look for a suit that fits. ryair max 1,give us a price point and we could give you a better suggestions.

PremeOne, a dark purple dress shirt might not look too good with a black suit because if it is too dark, it might blend in too much, especially with a blacktie, you might be mistaken for a waiter. A dark purple shirt might work if your goign out at night or going to a party but it might be too dark for thebusiness environment.

Never wear a solid black tie in a business environment either. A solid black tie should be reserved for black tie events, wedding and funerals. Ties could bealmost any color or pattern. The typical ones are the ones with slanted stripes with different colors. There are also some nice polka dots, not huge dots butthe more subtle ones. I usually go for those. The ties should compliments the dress shirt, not match it or try to go against it. I personally like narrow ties(not slim).

I personally believe that if you want to stand out, the tie and cuff-links are the way to do it, not with socks. It can really say a lot about your personalityas long as you don't go over board and go with a tie with a womans silhouette with the nipples flickers in red, like Al Bundy's. You cna be playfulwith colors or elegant with both ties and cuff-links.

Other colors of a dress shirt to consider depends on what you need it for. For work, you can't go wrong with white or the traditional blue/light blue.White and light blue can have variations as well by adding stripes to it (white with black or gray stripes and blue with white stripes). Check out BrooksBrothers sale section, they have some nice ones for a good price. Also check out POLO's custom fit dress shirts. They have a great color selection. Ipersonally love french cuffs, it gives you the chance to wear cuff links. So go with that if you can find it, it's just a personal suggestion though.

It's for my dads 60th birthday. We're throwing it at a banquet hall. I was thinking of maybe wearing a white shirt and a Sean John Viona Paisley Ties.The yellow one.

397926_fpx.tif

jaewb9.jpg

this is a pic from my prom which was last friday....my suit is the charcoal pinstripe with the blue dress shirt....polo Ralph Lauren purple label suit, HugoBoss dress shirt and Polo tie

^^^ I'm just curious, why did you guys decide not to wear a tux? No offense but you guys looks like your goign for a business meeting or a conference.

PremeOne, the yellow one looks pretty good with a white shirt. If it's for your dad's 60th birthday, I guess a dark purple with those yellow or thelight purple (the one int he farther left) would work as well. Just make sure the shade of purple in the dress shirt will look good with it. It's just thatI've seen so many shades of purple when it comes to dress shirts that it is almost impossible to guess the correct shade someone would wear.

Found this on GQ:

[h1]GQ: The Best Suits Under $500[/h1]

Cotton suit, $250, by Express Design Studio.

00001f.jpg

Worn by Brad Standley, luxury concierge.

How to Make a $500 Suit Look Like a Million Bucks
1. Every suit, no matter its price, needs alterations. For several of these, a tailor took in the sides of the jacket and even slimmed down the pants and the sleeves. You don't want your suit to be tight, but you do want it to be trim.

Wool suit, $249, by H&M.

00002f.jpg

Worn by Ted Kato, business analyst.

2. A $5 pocket square, kept crisp and white, makes an immeasurable impact. Every man should own at least one.

Cotton suit, $369, by Nautica.
00003f.jpg

Worn by Luke Forbes, writer.
Wool suit, $426, by Kenneth Cole New York.

00004f.jpg

Worn by Brett Jeffry, personal chef.

3. While you're in the men' s department, consider a simple silver tie bar. It introduces a jolt of gentlemanly attitude to your outfit.

Cotton suit, $378, by Club Monaco.

00005f.jpg

Worn by Stephen Lundberg, actor.

4. Well-polished, well-maintained dress shoes anchor any ensemble. Invest in one quality (classic) pair and wear them with every suit in your closet.

Cotton suit, $256, by Calvin Klein.

00006f.jpg

Worn by Sergio Mercado, interior designer.

5. Multitask. A suit doesn't always have to mean business. Try it with a pair of sneakers and a polo shirt, or pair the jacket with jeans or khakis. Get your money's worth out of your suit-even if it did cost you only a few hundred bucks.

Wool suit, $495, by Tommy Hilfiger.

00007f.jpg

Worn by Lex Sidon, music-video director.

Cotton suit, $296, by Banana Republic.

00008f.jpg

Worn by Mark Brycman, spa owner.

Cotton suit, $495, by Perry Ellis.

00009f.jpg

Worn by Trevor Nelson, private equity investor.

Rayon-blend suit, $85, by Target Men's Merona.

00010f.jpg

Worn by Mark Birnbaum, nightlife entrepreneur.

Wool suit, $450, by Geoffrey Beene.

00011f.jpg

Worn by Dallas Bonds, interior designer.

Originally Posted by MARTIN AND CO

1. Off the rack sucks! People think buying a 1,500 Prada suit means its a good suit. The only good OTR suits I've seen are Kiton, but I cant afford to spend 3.5k-5k for an OTR.

2. If you don't believe OTR is pointless, buy a 1k jacket and take it to a bespoke tailer, he will laugh.

Oh hey, it's that guy.

Found this on GQ:

[h1]GQ: The Best Suits Under $500[/h1]

Cotton suit, $250, by Express Design Studio.

00001f.jpg

Worn by Brad Standley, luxury concierge.

1. Every suit, no matter its price, needs alterations. For several of these, a tailor took in the sides of the jacket and even slimmed down the pants and the sleeves. You don't want your suit to be tight, but you do want it to be trim.

Wool suit, $249, by H&M.

00002f.jpg

Worn by Ted Kato, business analyst.

2. A $5 pocket square, kept crisp and white, makes an immeasurable impact. Every man should own at least one.

Cotton suit, $369, by Nautica.
00003f.jpg

Worn by Luke Forbes, writer.
Wool suit, $426, by Kenneth Cole New York.

00004f.jpg

Worn by Brett Jeffry, personal chef.

3. While you're in the men' s department, consider a simple silver tie bar. It introduces a jolt of gentlemanly attitude to your outfit.

Cotton suit, $378, by Club Monaco.

00005f.jpg

Worn by Stephen Lundberg, actor.

4. Well-polished, well-maintained dress shoes anchor any ensemble. Invest in one quality (classic) pair and wear them with every suit in your closet.

Cotton suit, $256, by Calvin Klein.

00006f.jpg

Worn by Sergio Mercado, interior designer.

5. Multitask. A suit doesn't always have to mean business. Try it with a pair of sneakers and a polo shirt, or pair the jacket with jeans or khakis. Get your money's worth out of your suit-even if it did cost you only a few hundred bucks.

Wool suit, $495, by Tommy Hilfiger.

00007f.jpg

Worn by Lex Sidon, music-video director.

Cotton suit, $296, by Banana Republic.

00008f.jpg

Worn by Mark Brycman, spa owner.

Cotton suit, $495, by Perry Ellis.

00009f.jpg

Worn by Trevor Nelson, private equity investor.

Rayon-blend suit, $85, by Target Men's Merona.

00010f.jpg

Worn by Mark Birnbaum, nightlife entrepreneur.

Wool suit, $450, by Geoffrey Beene.

00011f.jpg

Worn by Dallas Bonds, interior designer.
That list is good and all but remember, those suits were highly altered and I can almost guarantee that some of those suits wouldn't look exacltythe same way it looks on those models. From experience, I have never seen a CK, Kenneth Cole and Nautica suit that fits like that OTR. Just a heads up but itis definitely a good place to start.

Man, all the suits in this post are so tight. I feel like I might catch an unexpected chubby and my pants would just rip off. I think raja looks better in thebefore, and I'm not even one of these baggy pants and tall tees guys, but the level of tightness in some of these looks is just :smh:to me. It works onreally slim guys, but nobody in this post is even close to my same build. I guess the wrestler guy is the closest.

Originally Posted by RFX45

That list is good and all but remember, those suits were highly altered and I can almost guarantee that some of those suits wouldn't look exaclty the same way it looks on those models. From experience, I have never seen a CK, Kenneth Cole and Nautica suit that fits like that OTR. Just a heads up but it is definitely a good place to start.

Explain "highly" altered if you could...

I'm suprised to see a Target suit on there. It actually doesn't look bad either.

Back
Top Bottom