Questions for ATHEISTS vol. keep it funky

Status
Not open for further replies.
This had me.....

View media item 300418
It reminds me of that argument I had with ninjahood, and he claimed cause I support the acceptance of homosexuality in Ancient cultures I must support the existence of pedophilia in those cultures. That's like saying cause I like German cars, I hate Jews. :lol:

I don't have a conventional religion. My religion is to live an authentic and natural way of life. I believe in God. I don't believe in anything involving groups of people coming together to try to "think" the same way as one another. I'm an individualist to the fullest.

Last edited:
This had me.....

View media item 300418
It reminds me of that argument I had with ninjahood, and he claimed cause I support the acceptance of homosexuality in Ancient cultures I must support the existence of pedophilia in those cultures. That's like saying cause I like German cars, I hate Jews. :lol:
People that don't know how to argue usually resort to faulty arguments like that. It is frustrating sometime but I have to remember everyone hasn't been formally trained in logic.

People that don't know how to argue usually resort to faulty arguments like that. It is frustrating sometime but I have to remember everyone hasn't been formally trained in logic.
Sounds like most atheists as well.
Also how isn't atheism a religion? Groups of people that think they're right, and if you don't agree with them you're wrong. If you question them a few will answer with well thought out responses, and the rest will spew angry, empty nonsense. Sounds like religion to me.

Also how isn't atheism a religion? Groups of people that think they're right, and if you don't agree with them you're wrong. If you question them a few will answer with well thought out responses, and the rest will spew angry, empty nonsense. Sounds like religion to me.
Yes...Atheism is a religion.  Just as abstinence is a sex position, bald is a hair color, and "off" is a TV channel.

[h2]re·li·gion[/h2]    [ri-lij-uh
thinsp.png
thinsp.png
n]   Show IPA

noun
a  set  of  beliefs  concerning  the  cause,  nature, and  purpose  of  the  universe,  especially  when considered  as  the  creation  of  a  superhuman  agency  or  agencies,  usually  involving  devotional  and ritual  observances,  and  often  containing  a  moral  code  governing  the  conduct  of  human  affairs.

a  specific  fundamental  set  of  beliefs  and  practices  generally  agreed  upon  by  a  number  of  persons  orsects:  the  Christian  religion;  the  Buddhist  religion.

the  body  of  persons  adhering  to  a  particular  set  of  beliefs  and  practices:  a  world  council  of  religions.

the  life  or  state  of  a  monk,  nun,  etc.:  to  enter  religion.

the  practice  of  religious  beliefs;  ritual  observance  of  faith.

Last edited:
[h2]re·li·gion[/h2]

[ri-lij-uh
thinsp.png
thinsp.png

n
]  
Show IPA

noun

set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons orsects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.

the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.

the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.

the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.

Let's be real if atheism is a religion, every set of beliefs (or lack thereof) shared by a group of people is a religion. To my knowledge atheists don't have rituals, and most importantly their lack of belief is NOT based on faith.

I consider myself many things including a pagan, a satanist and a strict agnostic....and I somewhat side with atheists cause we are all atheists in one way or another. Am I a member of multiple religions?

Last edited:
When you give replies such as this, I don't think you're in any position to criticize others for "spewing angry, empty nonsense."

I'd go with sarcasm, but the English language is a slippery one. Call it as you like, good sir.

As for my man Anton, I'd say that Atheism in this day and age fall under 2 and 3 pretty securely. Also I don't think there's any natural law that prevents a person from belonging, or feeling that they belong in several different religions. What is life without diversity after all?

I'd go with sarcasm, but the English language is a slippery one. Call it as you like, good sir.

As for my man Anton, I'd say that Atheism in this day and age fall under 2 and 3 pretty securely. Also I don't think there's any natural law that prevents a person from belonging, or feeling that they belong in several different religions. What is life without diversity after all?

Yea but I feel like that all inclusive definition basically qualifies every shared belief as a religion. There is a traditional definition for a religion that I believe must include 1. Rituals and 2. Faith. Otherwise everything we believe in, shared by others is religion.

When you give replies such as this, I don't think you're in any position to criticize others for "spewing angry, empty nonsense."

Atheism doesn't involve a set of beliefs and practices though.

How many atheists have you actually tried to have intelligent conversation with? None of the nonbelievers I know spew empty nonsense, b. Plenty of us know the books better than the followers.

I'm pretty sure every thread on this forum that even looks like it might possibly pertain to religion becomes a discussion on how much people don't believe in God :lol:
I'm a huge Neil DeGrasse Tyson fan, love a lot of his work, but I've always thought that that quote is just horrid. It's the equivalent of, "You can't prove God doesn't exist."

Though I am erroneously using atheist to define someone who believes in science rather than the actual definition as someone that doesn't believe in God (gods). So in that I am incorrect, and it is true that atheism has no set rituals. At least none that I can think of that are serious :lol:

I guess if we substituted the word religion with 'belief system', that would make more sense. Everyone has a belief system, some people have one that is religious in nature (or traditionally religious). No man is a moral or conscientious vacuum (unless medically), therefore we all believe in something and it affects our decisions and world view.

I think that is what is implied when someone says that atheism is its own religion. 

Question brought up by Josh Barnett. If God is all-knowing, did he know that Lucifer was going to turn heel on him before he created him?

If he isn't omnipotent, then he isn't sovereign. From there it becomes questionable if this alleged being should even be referred to as GOD.

Your distinction between omnipotence and seeing all possible outcome for every decision everyone make is huge. Bunch of questions arise after that. Seeing everything is not the same as knowing everything. Can he see any of everything on demand? Does he remember everything he sees? Etc.

What if God isn't all knowing, but instead can see all possible outcomes for every decision that everyone makes?

That wouldn't make Him "God" then. Just aware. There are the options/ possibilities and there are decisions/ outcomes. God knows them all.

Last edited:
How does that make him/her/it God? Because she/he/it doesn't now everything? Only humans have claimed that.
Don't understand the question....

Just to be clear I wasn't saying God isn't all knowing. I was saying that He KNOWS everything from possibilities to exact outcomes. If he only knew possibilities, He would be a spectator. I believe He know outcomes, which would make possibilities only a mirage because possibilities don't effect anything, the actual option you choose is has an effect. And I was saying God is aware of it All.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom