Your XXL 2017 Freshman Class

and again I see no one on the cover who is latino. We've also been part of hip-hop for the longest Big Pun, Fat Joe, Beatnuts, Kid Frost, etc.

Here's a latino cat who in my opinion should of been in the front cover. Papa J Ruiz embodies that real hip-hop sound, that I grew up with. He has a following, he's always grinding and putting out good quality music.

This dude is talented. And I do agree with you, Kap G doesn't stand out from the others.

This dude is talented. And I do agree with you, Kap G doesn't stand out from the others.
I'm glad to know that we're on the same page, when it comes to recognizing real talent. I like artists like Future, Migos, Drake just to name a few from that kind of hip-hop, but I also would love to hear more artists, who come with something that sound like it was made in the 90s. I want to see more cats like Joey Badass, Action Bronson, etc.

I'm glad to know that we're on the same page, when it comes to recognizing real talent. I like artists like Future, Migos, Drake just to name a few from that kind of hip-hop, but I also would love to hear more artists, who come with something that sound like it was made in the 90s. I want to see more cats like Joey Badass, Action Bronson, etc.

So instead of coming up with something new and refreshing to the hip hop table.....you can want rappers to come with something that's already been done before?

Why's not just go listen to 90s rap? :lol:

So instead of coming up with something new and refreshing to the hip hop table.....you can want rappers to come with something that's already been done before?

Why's not just go listen to 90s rap?
laugh.gif
The hip-hop sound from the 90s is timeless, cause really what else is there to come up with and if someone was to come out with a new sound it probably wouldn't have those real hip-hop influences. And you could talk to any hip-hop historian and I can guantee you they'll say the same thing. In the 90s artists had their own style and didn't sound like the next cat. On the east coast, west, midwest and down south. Don't act like you dont know this cause I know youre a grown man like myself.

Last edited:
X Wulf is the long lost 6th member of 3-6 1990,s addition group.He has that 90,s Memphis sound down to a T.He would be on another level if Asap hadnt high jacked the Memphis production sound.Plus hes from Memphis.Asap just jacked the Memphis sound and also jacked Houston slang.And ran away with it.It sad nobody called them out on it.

Im not knocking there hustle.But nothing is original about them.It strikes a nerve with me.Because when the East Coast was Dominant in the the early 90,s.Us down South had our own Heros.Such as The Getto Boys (Rap A Lot),SUC,3-6 Mafia,SlipnSlide.Those artist pioneered whats mainly mainstream now.

I just dont like what the East is doing with the sound.Cats out here like Asap Ferg making songs called East Coast Anthems.With Southern production.Everybody laughed at us in the 90,s.While we supported our own.Now everybody sounds like what we loved from the start.

Trap/Drill is just the step brother of the 90,s Memphis sound.It doesn't matter how you cut it.I just hope young new artist like (X Wulf) from the South.Dont calib with the Asaps.It will water his brand down to me.Its a reason why Pimp C didn't want to do Big Pimpin.Even though it was a success.He didn't like anything about it.Jay was a fan.But the East Coast always talked bad about Southern Rap.Now everybody sounds like a Southern rapper to a certain extent because of the popularity of our production that light years ahead of everybody.

We just need more new young cats like X Wulf,Dolph,Gotti,Boosie,Kevin G,Slim Thug.From Tennessee,Florida,Georgia,Louisiana,Texas,and other states.That sounds like there from there own region.And not be so friendly to lend there sound away to outside.

Then well get the balance we need back in the game.Because everybody sounding the same is getting real lame.Biting with over caliberating with everyone is not looked down upon in this generation.Which is watering down our culture.

XXL dont need to change the freestyle format at all.More people need to see how limited these new rappers skill sets are.So they can actually learn how to rap.Instead of thinking harmonizing is all you need to know how to do.

Also XXL are always late with picking the right rappers for the freshman covers.They where 1-2 years late with Herb and East in my opinion.They wait until the majority knows the artist before they put the rapper on it.Freshman in my opinion.Is when you have a light buzz.When your starting to bubble.Not after when your traveling doing shows with a huge fanbase/following already.

Rappers like MoneyBagg,X Wulf,T.Greazley will be on the freshman list next year or the year after.XXL is slow on this subject.This is what you get when young people in the streets.Thats part of the culture.Dont work at XXL.Have yall seen the old lady who picks the list.Lmao,thats another subject.Artist who come out this year.Wont be on the list until 5-6 years from now.Which is crazy.

To make a long story short.There list is not what it use to be.Better yet.Was Kevin Gates even on the freshman list.If not.I know his career took off better than the rappers who where chosen over him.

Moneybagg & Glock got next.
Kinda crazy that Gotti and Dolph struck gold with both artist.

Guaranteed spots for next year should be:

Tee Grizz
Moneybagg
YFN Lucci
NBA Youngboy
Money Man
Key Glock

@KingsRBorn  Salute to you homie cause you know your stuff. I know what you're saying cause I'm from the East Coast, but always when out of my way to cop me those classic Down South albums from all those legendary artists you mentioned. Some People looked at me crazy cause I was bumping that music in the streets and just a few who had a good ear for music asked me what songs are you playing and of course I told them. I'm all about sharing my music knowledge if you want it.

On the East Coast you could say I was ahead of my time cause nobody was crazy with this stuff like I was. I also thought the same thing about X Wulf, he really sounds like he was influenced by 3-6 Mafia and thats why I like his music.

Guaranteed spots for next year should be:

Tee Grizz
Moneybagg
YFN Lucci
NBA Youngboy
Money Man
Key Glock

My man hip :pimp:. Them ****** moving.

That Key Glock "racks today" is the one. My young ***** put me on a few weeks back. Been jamming that nonstop

Also, YBS Skola is on the way.....[emoji]10024[/emoji]

Brah somebody gotta get these guys.
Using the terms 'real hip hop' and calling the 90s timeless dawg this bout the new age and what's coming next.

Fireeeeeeeeee, another new school hip-hop latino cat who is lyrical & unique!

Dezzy Hollow

Back
Top Bottom