Your XXL 2017 Freshman Class

I know that he's been out for years. I just posted about him cause he should of been on that cover.

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if Wulf gets on there before Robb Banks. Denzel Curry was on it last year and even that was surprising.

What does Xavier Wulf been out for years mean.YFN Lucci been out for years.He shouldve been out on it 2 years ago.Not after he gets 2 smash hits on his hands.YFN got into it with the old lady at XXL.Because he wouldn't kiss her a**.Plus he wouldn't play new music for them.

I dont blame him for doing that.With the success hes had.Hes a rapper you put on it no matter what.XXL dropped the ball on that one.So hell most likely not be on it at all in the future.With the success hes had.He deserves a cover by himself.Not a freshman list.Young MIA had a huge hit.She declined the cover.She thinks she deserves a cover by herself.

To keep it 100.Moneybagg,NBAyoungboy,YFN,Young MIA,Xavier Wulf,Mozzy,Famouse Dex,T.Grizz Shouldve easily made this years list without having to kiss up to someone at XXL.This years list shouldve been named the internet 2017 fad list.I base my opinion off the effect they have on the streets,online,peformance,etc all together.

The rappers i named have been around for atleast 2+ years.Theyre easily pulling in 6 or 7 figures a year off of there fan base.This is whats going to happen.2018 and 2019 there going to try to get the rappers were listing on here.And it will be to late by then.Because theyll be making more money.With more popularity by that time.So well get more flash in the pan fad rappers that wont 2 years after being featured on the list.

The amount of years an artist has been out.Means that XXL arent on top of there game.What if none of the rappers we name never make the list.Because they decline after being passed up at the right time.Then there going to lose.Because there going to just pick random rappers by then.

Which there already somewhat starting to do.Thats what happens when you have employees only looking at rappers from an online perspective only.Watch,i promise this going to happen the next 2 years.This year is the beginning of it.Half of the 2017 list is not even justifiable.

Thats if were comparing it to the list i just wrote up top.If you dont agree.Your just trolling for kicks.Or you dont have your ears to the streets.Its more to it than just online.If its just a popular online Rapper list.Then call it that.

What does Xavier Wulf been out for years mean.YFN Lucci been out for years.He shouldve been out on it 2 years ago.Not after he gets 2 smash hits on his hands.YFN got into it with the old lady at XXL.Because he wouldn't kiss her a**.Plus he wouldn't play new music for them.

I dont blame him for doing that.With the success hes had.Hes a rapper you put on it no matter what.XXL dropped the ball on that one.So hell most likely not be on it at all in the future.With the success hes had.He deserves a cover by himself.Not a freshman list.Young MIA had a huge hit.She declined the cover.She thinks she deserves a cover by herself.

To keep it 100.Moneybagg,NBAyoungboy,YFN,Young MIA,Xavier Wulf,Mozzy,Famouse Dex,T.Grizz Shouldve easily made this years list without having to kiss up to someone at XXL.This years list shouldve been named the internet 2017 fad list.I base my opinion off the effect they have on the streets,online,peformance,etc all together.

The rappers i named have been around for atleast 2+ years.Theyre easily pulling in 6 or 7 figures a year off of there fan base.This is whats going to happen.2018 and 2019 there going to try to get the rappers were listing on here.And it will be to late by then.Because theyll be making more money.With more popularity by that time.So well get more flash in the pan fad rappers that wont 2 years after being featured on the list.

The amount of years an artist has been out.Means that XXL arent on top of there game.What if none of the rappers we name never make the list.Because they decline after being passed up at the right time.Then there going to lose.Because there going to just pick random rappers by then.
This is why although Akademiks is a die hard cornball who should have never tried to become an on air personality IMO, I don't understand why we go so hard on him when he's one of the few completely independent and black owned media outlets that a large portion of our culture actually pays attention to.

If anything we need more ShadeRooms and Akademiks just so others are inspired to do their own platforms and we eventually get to a point where no one cares about the XXL Freshman cover because there are already other urban outlets without the politics to put you on new acts.

Lucci and Dex shouldn't have to pass some old white lady's approval to be on the hottest platform for new acts.

Last edited:

Did Rarri get a xxl intereview?

He sound like a Before the lean Chief Keef

Not wanting new rappers to also bring some classic 90s old school feel to their music, that's like not wanting to rock some classic Nike's. If you disagree and still rock some Nike retro's, you might as well should stop rocking them, and give them away to someone who really appreciates the stuff that are timeless. And just only rock the new kicks that are coming out. Like I said before I also listen to Future, Migos, etc. but I also want to hear some of that classic 90s hip-hop sound, from some of these new artists. I don't see nothing wrong with wanting something like this cause I'm not saying that I want everything to sound like the 90s, just an equal amount of artists who also bring that old school feel to the game, keep it balanced out between those artists bringing that music like Migos, Kodak Black and those bringing something that sounds like the 90s.

Last edited:

Not wanting new rappers to also bring some classic 90s old school feel to their music, that's like not wanting to rock some classic Nike's. If you disagree and still rock some Nike retro's, you might as well should stop rocking them, and give them away to someone who really appreciates the stuff that are timeless. And just only rock the new kicks that are coming out. Like I said before I also listen to Future, Migos, etc. but I also want to hear some of that classic 90s hip-hop sound, from some of these new artists. I don't see nothing wrong with wanting something like this cause I'm not saying that I want everything to sound like the 90s, just an equal amount of artists who also bring that old school feel to the game, keep it balanced out between those artists bringing that music like Migos, Kodak Black and those bringing something that sounds like the 90s.
That **** is beyond played out. Let things be good while they last.

Aside from what Puff and them were doing, the 90's were so great because everyone was just doing them and originality was key. Imagine if fans were mad at Snoop and Pac and BIG and X and Jay and P and etc. etc. for not sounding like Planet Rock or some ****. Even when Puff and the Hitmen or Dre redid those classic records, they brought them into the 90's with new flavor and aesthetic and musicality.

You miss the 90's because they gave you something to miss. If we spend the 2010's trying to recreate the 90's, there won't be anything in 2030 to miss about the 2010's. Music gotta evolve for better or worse. Even if you don't like Migos, there's someone that's 14, 15, 16, 17 growing up on the Migos that might be your favorite rapper in a few years. New sounds gotta be introduced I'm not tryna hear the same 90's samples and drum breaks forever.

At the very least if we're gonna play the nostalgia game let's move on to the 2000's.

Last edited:
Why do want to hear the new school recreate something they weren't apart of??

Very few artists are able to do this successfully let alone on a mainstream level.

That **** is beyond played out. Let things be good while they last.

Aside from what Puff and them were doing, the 90's were so great because everyone was just doing them and originality was key. Imagine if fans were mad at Snoop and Pac and BIG and X and Jay and P and etc. etc. for not sounding like Planet Rock or some ****. Even when Puff and the Hitmen or Dre redid those classic records, they brought them into the 90's with new flavor and aesthetic and musicality.

You miss the 90's because they gave you something to miss. If we spend the 2010's trying to recreate the 90's, there won't be anything in 2030 to miss about the 2010's. Music gotta evolve for better or worse. Even if you don't like Migos, there's someone that's 14, 15, 16, 17 growing up on the Migos that might be your favorite rapper in a few years. New sounds gotta be introduced I'm not tryna hear the same 90's samples and drum breaks forever.

At the very least if we're gonna play the nostalgia game let's move on to the 2000's.
the thing is these hooks/chorus from today be sounding alike. I don't got a problem with the beats, actually the beats be on point. My problem is people sounding the same. For example back in the days no one from the south, east, west, midwest sounded alike.

Why do want to hear the new school recreate something they weren't apart of??

Very few artists are able to do this successfully let alone on a mainstream level.
joey badass is a perfect example of recreating that 90s hip-hop sound and being successsful. He wasn't part of the 90s movement, but he said that one of his parents used to bump that music in the car and he rocked with it. I know there has to be other cats outhere, who also had parents that played those type of hip-hop records and are now flowing like the cats from the 90s.

the thing is these hooks/chorus from today be sounding alike. I don't got a problem with the beats, actually the beats be on point. My problem is people sounding the same. For example back in the days no one from the south, east, west, midwest sounded alike.
Bruh how many bootleg Neptunes/Timbaland/Puffy/etc. beats did you hear in the 90's/early 2000's. 
laugh.gif

Timbaland birthed an entire soundscape that ****** copied to death lol. The Neptunes type beats got cartoonishly bad in the early 2000's.

This may be a little disrespectful and where my age might show but I always thought Trackmasters sounded like a knockoff Puff-Hitmen and Darkchild kinda sounded like a knockoff Timbaland although idk who came out first and all that.

At any given point in rap since the commercial explosion of it post Def Jam/DR/Bad Boy there are always gonna be overused slang, tropes and musical styles because this is really the only genre where we're openly mainly about the money. Rap is the most formulaic genre by design. They sell us the same **** in different colors.

I do however agree about the different regions. That's really what I miss the most. I want it to be an event to hear my ATL rappers on LA type beats and NY rappers on ATL type beats and so on and so forth.

But w/ the internet and FL Studio people just gonna chase what's hot.

Last edited:

joey badass is a perfect example of recreating that 90s hip-hop sound and being successsful. He wasn't part of the 90s movement, but he said that one of his parents used to bump that music in the car and he rocked with it. I know there has to be other cats outhere, who also had parents that played those type of hip-hop records and are now flowing like the cats from the 90s.
And you also notice he's slowly moving away from that rapping over trap beats doing triplet flows and **** now lol.

And you also notice he's slowly moving away from that rapping over trap beats doing triplet flows and **** now lol.
he could do whatever he wants cause that's actually demonstrating that he's versatile. I just pick out the songs that I think sound dope to me. It's like when you used to buy an album and some tracks you like, other ones you just skip them.

Out of the hundreds of hundreds of rappers, the fact that you were only able to name one artist shows there isn't that big of a market and/or they don't want to do it

Out of the hundreds of hundreds of rappers, the fact that you were only able to name one artist shows there isn't that big of a market and/or they don't want to do it
Action Bronson, Dave East, etc. here's something dope & worthy of a listen. This new school hip-hop music video is from 2016.

any music video that has that 106 and park description thing in the lower left hand corner in 2017 i gotta skip off gp

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom