102982: Today Is My Late Brother's Birthday. Reaching Out For Support.

Thanks again for all of those pumping the petition to their friends and family and helping out locally.

Ordering the shirts and getting back on the saddle to pump this cause to the PWC gov and the local paper!

I could still use a lot of help and support in making this a reality. Thanks so much!

You're a real good dude. Gone out of your way to help many, not sure what took me so long but I just went ahead and signed the petition. Would love to see this park honoring your brother.

"When I was 16 years old, I started having this Dream (and I never had Dreams, or at least any that I could remember up to this point in my life. The details of the Dream were blurry and often unlcear/irrelevant, but the ending of the Dream was always a vivid image of a headline in a newspaper article stating "Naji Abdelilah Dead..." Certain aspects of the Dream were crystal clear as well, such as the color of the sky, the smell of a cologne, or the the music playing through my car's speakers. I never thought much of the Dream because my Father shared the same name as my Brother and not to sound disheartened or cold, but I wouldn't be too deeply upset if someone I never knew or had the pleasure/displeasure of meeting passed away.

On the morning of November 23, 2002, I woke up with the same things on my mind as I did any other typical High School Saturday: How would I make some money today to help my Mother, which shoes were coming out, and which basketball court did I want to play at. I got dressed, Brown Long-Sleeve Mecca Shirt (via my mom), Avirex Pants (via my Brother), and a clean pair of Clark's Sand Wallabees (via my Sister). My Birthday had just passed a couple months back so I decided it was time to wear my "good clothes" that I received as gifts. I also decided to go spend this gift card at Foot Action in Springfield Mall that my Brother had given me as well. Naji and I had plans to go to Pit Crew in Maryland to purchase these new Nike SB Bison Dunks that were coming out, but after speaking to him a couple of nights ago...he wasn't answering his phone or coming by the house.

Upon arriving at Springfield Mall, it was apparent that there was nothing I was feeling or too fond of. I'm not a very good browser or impulse shopper, as I am better about knowing what I want, where to get it, and how much it is really worth. I figured I might as well get something and purchased a pair of Blk/Blk Nike Air Force I shoes. I didn't and still don't even like Nike Air Force I Mid-Tops like that, but I felt compelled to buy them for whatever reason that day.

After completing my purchase and heading back on 95 South to my Mother's house, I started marveling through my T-Tops at how blue the sky was, how fresh this Polo Sport cologne was smelling on this fall day, and debating who was the more important member of Black Star...Mos Def or Talib Kweli and who had the better verse on "Brown Skin Lady." (I concluded Mos Def did and still does and I also was looking forward to seeing Mos Def & Talib Kweli (Black Star) perform in NY in the coming months).

I turn down my Mother's narrow street like I have done hundreds of times and see someone parked right in front of the driveway. My immediately started muttering some profanity laced statement under my breathe before looking up and seeing that I actually new the man that was out front speaking to my Mother. It was one of Naji's friend's Father and he seemed to be having a pretty animated conversation with my Mother who's back was turned to me. I got out of the car and my Mother slowly turned around and at that very moment....."Oh s***."

The Dream, the vivid sky imagery, the sweet smelling cologne, and the sentimental soundtrack...And that Newspaper Headline! My Mother looked at me with a look I couldn't erase out of my memory bank if I had tried and/or wanted to. All I could say was "I know." If you know me, you would know that I hate surprises and I am almost impossible to surprise. This moment caught me off guard, because you never think that Superman can actually die or actually dies no matter the danger he might appear to be in. Yeah, he gets beat up by Lex Luthor and the Kryptonite has him on the ropes at times...but he always gets back up.

That was probably the last time I thought like a self-absorbed, self-centered, selfish individual. Sometimes it takes something drastic to change the way a person thinks and functions. Sometimes only something profound can force a person to change their beliefs and values."

I know it's long....but I have a story, book that just needs to be organized and edited....two things I cannot stand doing.

Thanks for the support.

I hope this story inspires someone else....changes the way they are thinking or provides some sort of solace for someone going through a tough time.

Starting the planning for the NSA Skate Event II this Summer/Fall....anybody have any suggestions on dates? I know a lot of folks do Summer travels/vacations and last time I tried to plan the event on Naji's Birthday which is 10/29.

August/September?

Starting the planning for the NSA Skate Event II this Summer/Fall....anybody have any suggestions on dates? I know a lot of folks do Summer travels/vacations and last time I tried to plan the event on Naji's Birthday which is 10/29.

August/September?

thats a tough one, in sept everyone will be done w/ vacations and the weather will still be decent but then again i would think the interest in skating would be in full swing during the summer.

labor day might be a good way to close out the summer.

thats a tough one, in sept everyone will be done w/ vacations and the weather will still be decent but then again i would think the interest in skating would be in full swing during the summer.

labor day might be a good way to close out the summer.

Duly noted!

I'll begin setting the location and some of the basics in stone this week.

Good ideas! Many thanks as always.

nthat.gif

Hope all goes well.

R.I.P. to your bro.

I've met OP in person and he's a good guy. It only takes a couple minutes to show support and/or sign his petition and it will mean a lot to him. Please support him! An OG NTer who has helped the community in a number of ways.

Thanks for the kind words and whenever you want that PMP Bootcamp/Crash Course and a drink...let me know. :smokin

^I will definitely let you know. Things just got a little crazy this weekend and I wasn't able to find time to meet up. Drinks on me this time around though.

Since I finished the DAWIA certification I'm putting the DAU courses on the back burner for now and looking at some other training/certifications. My supervisor wants me to look into the Federal Financial Management Certificate Program by Management Concepts. Do you have any experience with this program? Worth it? It's hard to tell with some of these certifications which ones are really valuable and which ones turn out to be just your name on a piece of paper.

Edit: I thought this was the job thread so I mentioned training/certifications. You can just PM or text me back.

The majority of certificates/like degrees are just that....it is up to the user/holder to get what they want/need from the courses/training and use it to further their career/get to where they want to go.

Ask yourself what that Cert is going to do for you or where it might help you get to? More money? Higher grade? New Job? Lateral Move? Different Agency?

I have heard and seen the FFMCP stuff from MC on candidates resumes and some of the Cost Analysis/Financial work we have with DLA/DISA.

Great Certs I have seen in different fields: PMP, CISSP, ITIL, DAWIA, FAC-C and some of the NCMA ones where they are providing Govt equivalents for Private Industry folks.

Back
Top Bottom