+ 808's and Heartbreak Listening Event Review +

From Rap-up.com . . .

"The worlds of hip-hop and art collided when Kanye West threw a listening party for his newalbum 808s & Heartbreakon Tuesday nightin Los Angeles. The event, a collaboration between Kanye and Italian artist Vanessa Beecroft, was unlike anything we've experienced before. After sippingon Veuve Clicquot and Moët, several hundred guests, including Jay-Z, will.i.am, Mos Def, Rick Ross, L.A. Reid, actor Jonah Hill, Sa-Ra's Taz Arnold, anddirector Chris Robinson, were led upstairs into an open gallery space where 40-50 naked women stood against a blue light panel. At approximately 9:45 p.m., thelights went off and the spectacle began.

Blue, red, and yellow lights flashed across the giant panel as Kanye's fourth studio albumblasted through the speakers. Skinny, mixed race models, wearing nothing but black stiletto heels, posed through the entire 11 tracks. Some changed positionsfrom time to time, sitting down, stretching, and performing other body contortions. The no photography rule was strictly enforced.

After the last track off 808s & Heartbreak played, the lights came up and Kanyeappeared in a T-shirt and jeans. He went on to thank everyone for coming and expressed his gratitude to Beecroft for her hard work. He told the story of how hecontacted the artist a week before the event. She said she listened to 808s and the album touched her "personal life" in a few ways. Kanyeresponded by saying he also felt touched by her work, referencing the naked women, which drew a laugh from the audience. We hear that the models were hiredthrough an open casting call and reportedly paid $1000 each.

As rumored, the entire album is in Auto-Tune. Kanye launched into a speech about how much heloves using Auto-Tune and that lately the term has been associated with being "wack," much to his dismay. "Never lose your childhood," hetold the crowd, explaining how he wanted to go back to feeling like a child, overwhelmed and carefree. Auto-Tune reminded him of those early days. As a kid, hethought the color pink was cool until someone told him "it was gay." He then excitedly exclaimed, "Pink is better than blue!" 'Yeexpressed his admiration for T-Pain, saying "his light was so bright." He further explained his belief that society and culture steal confidence andself-esteem from you when you're a child. You're born with it, but society takes it away. If he was 8 years old, he would have walked into a recordingstudio and told the engineer, "Give me Auto-Tune!" He officially declared it "the funnest thing to use."

The album, which he completed over three weeks in Hawaii, is unlike anything Kanye has done.He happily classifies it as "pop" featuring heavy drums and pulsing electronic sounds. "People think pop is bad, but Michael Jackson was pop andwho can compare to him?" Kanye asked, adding that he wants to categorize the album under "pop" in iTunes. Even though it was hard to make outlyrics over the booming system, we believe we heard Lil Wayne and Young Jeezy rapping on two tracks. The raw and revealing album puts Kanye on another level ofartistry and a few strokes away from genius.

Responding to reviews, the Louis Vuitton Don said, "I don't give a @*!* if it'shot or not, it's from the heart… Would you judge a grandmother's love? Give it two-and-a-half mics out of five?" Kanye said that he went to theDef Jam label heads and expressed how important it was that this album was released this year. He didn't care if it wasn't on the schedule or if theywanted a holiday push. He mentioned that he does have another album coming in June and he may be singing or rapping.

As the evening came to a close, the Chi-Town MC declared, "I've always been a fan ofVanessa's work and strong imagery." He liked the "idea of nudity because society told us to wear clothes at a certain point." Thenight's most poignant moment came when the rapper said, "The irony for me… I've talked about so many labels, Louis Vuitton this, Benz that… For meto lose the most important person to Hollywood." He explained that the album's closing track, "Coldest Winter," is about his late mother,Donda West. According to him, the first ten tracks are about someone else who was close in his personal life, most likely ex-fiance Alexis Phifer.

"I don't know if you noticed, but I don't talk about any of that stuff on thealbum-no stuntin', no flashin', just real things." And for one night, Kanye West bared all.

Here is a tracklisting for 808s & Heartbreak based off what we could make out. Noofficial titles were announced so take this for what it is.

1. "Welcome to Heartbreak"
2. "Heartless"
3. "Love Lockdown"
4. "Robocop"
5. "The Wrong Thing"
6. "In the Streets"
7. Title unknown

• Alternating heavy drum and beeping sounds
• More singing, loud wailing noises
• Long extended instrumental ending with "ahhs" whispering over it
8. "Real Bad News"
9. "So Amazing" featuring Young Jeezy

• Uptempo
• "I'm a monster, I'm a killer."
• Loud animal screams and howls like "Love Lockdown"
10. "That You Know" or "Tell Everybody" featuring Lil Wayne
• Harder rock vibe
• "Tell everybody that you know, that I don't love you no mo'"
• "I'm back up on my grind."
• Wayne's verse: "*$%* stink 'cause it's pee-eww"
11. "Coldest Winter"
• "Goodbye my friends, will I ever love again?"
• "It's pouring…it's pouring."

Yeah I saw this too...new album in June as well
eek.gif
...and I'm not tripping about the autotune, I think this album will be dope

Here's the review from The Fader
http://www.thefader.com/articles/20...t-kanye-west-s-808s-hearbreak-listening-event
[h2]Vanessa Beecroft & Kanye West's 808s & Heartbreak Listening Event[/h2]
Last night, Kanye West publicly debuted his new album, 808s & Heartbreak, at the Ace Gallery in Los Angeles via a collaboration with Italian artist Vanessa Beecroft. After waiting in a loading area with an open bar and a DJ, we walked up a driveway illuminated by florescent lights to a darkened room where approximately forty nude women, most of them wearing face-obscuring masks seemingly made of faux lamb's wool, stood in the middle-black girls in the front, white girls in the back. Then the entire album played without introduction or explanation. The women were backlit by glowing lights-mostly red and purple, sometimes strobing, often pulsing and sporadically illuminating. When "Love Lockdown" played three songs in, some of the models started sitting down on the floor, others going so far as to fully recline by the end of the album. Mos Def sat down front-and-center, Michael Rapaport talked excitedly to the security guards, Will.i.am watched from one end of the U the audience formed around the women, Rick Ross watched from the other end (even singing along to some songs after an apparent even sneakier sneak preview). As for album: yes, it's almost entirely sung by West, aside from one verse by Young Jeezy on "Amazing" and a duet with Lil Wayne; yes, it is sung almost entirely through Auto-Tune; yes, some people are not going to be sure what to make of it, but we applaud West's decision to step off a creative ledge wearing a jetpack that no one else is sure will actually work.

Considering the conditions 808s & Heartbreak was played under (we're referring to the vast concrete room, not the presence of forty naked women), we don't feel right giving a full appraisal, but we are definitely eager to hear it again. On this blog we've compared West's recent productions to ARE Weapons, but maybe an even more apt reference is Adult. or Thom Yorke solo, with the dispassionate electro beats playing against the plainspoken ache of the vocals. Or maybe he's creating a genre of his own. Call it Kanyeclash. Once the album ended with "Coldest Winter"-the one song on the album about his mother, the rest of this breakup album is about "someone else"-West appeared with a microphone. After eventually silencing the chatty room, he introduced Beecroft, who revealed that the piece was conceptualized and executed in one week, which is one third of the time it took West to record the entire album. Then West delivered a monologue about how this album is about the freedom to do what you want to do and that he used Auto-Tune because it is the most fun thing ever. Then he said 808s & Heartbreak was about emotional nakedness. Then he said he'll have another album out next June. Then the DJ played "Good Life" and we went to get our car from the valet parking before the line got out of hand.

Will def listen to it before I judge it.

And a new album coming in June
eek.gif
. Better not have auto-tune this time around.

im skeptical but its definitely gonna be worth a listen.. people are too quick to dismiss kanye.. glad to hear hes already looking at the next album.. once iheard love lockdown i kinda figured this was more of a side project/experimental album

Alot of early reviews are saying this album if absolute piffery. Skeptical about all the autotune...but if Ye did it right, then who can complain?

Def looking forward to this. See what he cooked up.

I was there.

The display was nice. Something you would expect from Kanye....

The music was all auto-tune/electronica. Young Jeezy has a verse on one of the songs.

From the music I just remember the first song being okay. But there was one song that was really great. It had a long outro on it with about 2 minutes of justthe music. Other than that I don't know what to say.

At the end Kanye gave a long speech about how he doesn't care with people think and how they judge this album. How auto-tune is looked at as a bad word andsociety takes away all the fun stuff out of life and makes it bad etc.

It was alot of wealthy & famous people there. It was dark so it kept you from seeing everybody but I did see Jay-Z, Rick Ross, Mos Def and some others.

Ben (Baller) was outside with me when it was over saying how wack it was and that he was gonna blog about it
laugh.gif

Kanye West gets copped...
I'm really looking forward to the album because I actually like this vibe and sound, regardless of whether or not Kanye is the artist delivering it
but I guess that makes me a minority here

When you read the reviews it sounds that the night was crazy! I cant wait now this album.

I just want to hear the beats... honestly.

I mean Kanye is cool and I love College Dropout, Late Registration and Graduation but I dont want to hear love songs from Kanye.

I know he might have some bangers but for the most part I think hes going to far with this autotune.

But I will listen and keep my judgement until I hear it.

The raw and revealing album puts Kanye on another level of artistry and a few strokes away from genius.
wow.

either thats sheer gassery, or this album is pretty good?? Sayin that the writer of that piece prolly look like Neek supreme so im stillskeptical.

gotta give it a listen though.

He mentioned that he does have another album coming in June and he may be singing or rapping.
pimp.gif
Keep em comin. I lovethat this dude is trying something out of the norm with every album he does. He's in a world of his own. Everyone should at least respect him forcreativity.

Back
Top Bottom