+ 808's and Heartbreak Listening Event Review +

I knew Graduation was his Thriller, but damn, I didn't know he would literally try to be MJ.

I respect Ye because he's real. Whether you agree with him or not, he's him. Not afraid to try new stuff.

the evolution of this dude is slighty creepy yet intriguing. I mean, I've never lost my mother so I can't say how I'd react to losing her (coupledwith losing ones fiance) but I like the idea of him truly expressing himself through the music. It just sucks that his way of coping is through a commercialavenue where people are gonna wanna hear the music they're used to hearing from Kanye (me included). If this was like an independent/mixtape release thenI'd be all for it but if the music sucks then it's gonna be like, what was the point?

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Can't Wait.

Originally Posted by Ricardo Malta

the evolution of this dude is slighty creepy yet intriguing. I mean, I've never lost my mother so I can't say how I'd react to losing her (coupled with losing ones fiance) but I like the idea of him truly expressing himself through the music. It just sucks that his way of coping is through a commercial avenue where people are gonna wanna hear the music they're used to hearing from Kanye (me included). If this was like an independent/mixtape release then I'd be all for it but if the music sucks then it's gonna be like, what was the point?
Very well said.

I, for one, though really want to hear the experimental side of Kanye.

So I'm pretty intrigued to hear how this sounds.

YO! It seems to me that most of you are wanting a rap album... from a producer.

Or maybe the growth he's shown as an MC has spoiled some of you (confused, may be a better word) into thinking that is all he is. This album intrigues memostly because I'm interested in the soundscape. For an album this ambitious, I imagine that musically he's taking more risks than just usingauto-tune. I don't necessarily blame anyone who'd prefer 'Ye to stay in the lane he's been in (or get back in the lane he was in back in'05). On the flip side though, if this is done right - which I expect it to have been - imagine what it does for Black music.

DF!!!

Or maybe the growth he's shown as an MC has spoiled some of you (confused, may be a better word) into thinking that is all he is. This album intrigues me mostly because I'm interested in the soundscape. For an album this ambitious, I imagine that musically he's taking more risks than just using auto-tune. I don't necessarily blame anyone who'd prefer 'Ye to stay in the lane he's been in (or get back in the lane he was in back in '05). On the flip side though, if this is done right - which I expect it to have been - imagine what it does for Black music.

DF!!!

The General Public isn't as understanding as you are towards Kanye West... to alot of people they don't know Kanye West as the producer... just that rapper that came out with songs like Stronger and Good Life... so the majority of people see Kanye West as a rapper because that's where the majority of his fame has come from... So him coming out with something COMPLETELY different from what they know him as .. is a little risky.. for better or for worse.

First off, I want to say that I am not a fan of auto-tune

But I am juiced for this album!

KanYe is like Kobe to me in the sense that whether you love him or hate him, you cannot deny the fact that they are both great at what they do. KanYe is on alevel of his own right now. I am excited to hear what comes out from a musical standpoint with this album. Am I expecting CD, LR, or Graduation? Not at all. Iam expecting 808s & Heartbreak. I am expecting to hear great music, auto-tune or not.

I'm so amped about this album. Gonna be the 1st album I buy since.......damn since The Cool.

Wale's take

Went to Kanye's listening party last night in LA. It was held at this empty space I'd been to before on La Brea. I actually went to the launch of Helio there. You remember Helo; the well-conceived but ill-executed mobile service that launched 2 years ago and is already out of business. Beck performed at the Helio launch and was awesome but from what I hear now, he's trying to get out of Scientology and his live performances have been seriously lacking. Anyway, I dunno if that was a bad look to have the listening party in that space; a vast, concrete box with horrible acoustics. I would have held it at the Disney concert hall downtown or something.
99_disney_concert_hall_lg.jpg

Anyway, please take my comments on this at face value. The sound was not ideal in the venue. It was also rather hot inside. The drinks were weak. As Kanye says on Love LockDown, "the vibe is wrong." However, 40 fully nude models is kind of awesome. Anyway, peep the shorthand notes I took on the album.
Track 1 is fire. Seems to be called "What Did I Do To Deserve This"…very anthemic and catchy but not a song you'd hear on the radio. Looks like this album might be amazing.
Or not…Track 2 not as awesome as Track 1. I think this is "Heartless", has a repetetive piano beat with really interesting drums
Track 3 is Love Lockdown
Track 4 has some crazy drums. Chorus sounds very 80s or maybe late 90s Europop like Venga Boys or Aqua. The chorus has like minor 7 chords played with a Prince sounding synth and goes like "okay okay, you will never stop me now"
Track 5 also sounds very 80s…like a power ballad mixed with El Debarge, Chromeo and New Edition. Chorus goes something like "I don't know you, let me know you, why you acting like a robocop"
Track 6 and 5 sound very similar
Track 7 sounds like Good Morning…similar tempo and a repeating bell type sound…chorus seems to be like "I pray you will"
Track 8 is like some double time drums and some strings
Track 9 I think is a track with Young Jeezy that I cannot believe Young Jeezy is on
Track 10 has a Lil Wayne feature…hard to tell where Kanye ends and Wayne begins
Track 11 is about his mom

Afterwards, Kanye made a great speech about how everyone is born an artist and is born creative, it's just once we start living, many of us get stripped of that. Those who don't are the ones who continue to be artists. I thought it was a very astute comment. He then started talking about this negative word that everyone has been tossing around for the past year; that word is auto-tune. He said he felt like a kid and auto tune was the most fun thing to play with. I totally got what he was saying and used this analogy to explain it to Bun B when I was talking to him on the phone today. You know when you are in elementary school, like 5th grade, and you get a new highlighter, like a neon yellow joint? And then you just wanna go highlighting everything in your history book because it's just so fun to see that neon yellow everywhere on the plain white pages? That's how the auto tune feels on Kanye's album. You forget what's really important and everything that's auto tuned (or highlighted), is weighted the same way. Hope that makes sense. I just want to go on record saying that I love Kanye. Aside from Wale, he might be my favorite contemporary artist. Graduation inspired me to go and try to help Wale make a better album. I also think Graduation made it easier for an artist like Wale to exist. I have always defended Kanye to people who say he's too cocky, etc. I think he has done more for hip hop in terms of pushing the envelope than any other artist. I could be totally wrong about this album but this is what I heard last night. I hope it's not his Medellin (Entourage reference…see below) He might change it, who knows.

Originally Posted by AirAnt23

Or maybe the growth he's shown as an MC has spoiled some of you (confused, may be a better word) into thinking that is all he is. This album intrigues me mostly because I'm interested in the soundscape. For an album this ambitious, I imagine that musically he's taking more risks than just using auto-tune. I don't necessarily blame anyone who'd prefer 'Ye to stay in the lane he's been in (or get back in the lane he was in back in '05). On the flip side though, if this is done right - which I expect it to have been - imagine what it does for Black music.

DF!!!
I hear you...but the music he made back around CD was so good...I do want more of THAT. I didn't even listen to graduation cause at that pointhe lost me.

Now with this...that Love Lockdown is pure trash. I don't wana hear this auto tone anymore...I don't want him in that lane, at all.

Go back soul beats, go rap and make a damn good album. He wanted in as a rapper, and I don't blame him for evolving...it's just IMO that evolution hasnot been a good, at least to me.

Originally Posted by Da R Entertainment

Originally Posted by ILLIONAIRE

Originally Posted by OvATyME316

Sounds like a N.E.R.D. album but with auto tune. That makes me wanna hear it more.

am i missing something? like is this album out already?
ya'll giving your reviews on how the album sounds and the joint hasn't even been pressed probably not even mastered yet.
like did this dude already just compare 808's & Heartbreak to an N.E.R.D album in terms of how it sounds?
laugh.gif
smh.gif

come on man..
It's NT hyping the album up. Once it drops, it's going to be alot of people complaining about the album as with any other album. I'll save judgement for when it drops.

I'm not hyping up anything. Just based on the reviews I red earlier in the thread, it sounded like a N.E.R.D. album with autotune. Now based on the review, Wale gave, I was wrong.

I never said I had the album at all. It was nice that you only bold my first sentence and not the second. That states because it sounded like "N.E.R.D.with autotune" I want to hear this album even more.

I'm looking forward to this album. I can't wait to hear it. If it's bad, it's bad. I'll move on with life and hopefully Kanye will go backto rapping on his album in June.

Back
Top Bottom