Accounting/Finance/Econ heads (Team Economics) COME OUT!

Basically I'm at a crossroad in my life right now. 2nd year in college and I've been doing nothing but science-related majors so far. It was not until this point that I realized sciences are no good for me. It's not because I failed any science classes, but more to do with my enjoyment and understanding (I'm just scraping by). After taking my first econ class and discovering my knack for it, I've developed an interest. I guess it runs in my blood too, since my Dad did finance but sucked at science.

My question to you guys are what are the little differences between these 3 fields? I've only touched on Econ, because that is the only thing my school offers, and I have no idea what finance or accounting is like.

Options:
1. Continue with my misery in environmental science
2. Possibly move back home and go to a CSU (accounting/finance)
3. Transfer into Economics at my current school (Davis)

P.S. And I know it would seem like an obvious choice to get out of Environmental sci, but I've taken many of the classes that need to be fulfilled for it already (luckily econ has many overlapping classes that are math-related), which weighs in a bit on my decision/indecision if you will.

As far as I know, I think it'll be easier to come out and get a job related to the field as an accounting/econ/finance major as opposed to a science-related major with only their bachelors, yadadimean? I honestly don't like the idea of coming out and doing something I had no intention of doing...Shed some light on me guys...especially the ones who majored inecon/accounting/finance...I wanna know what your experience was like aswell as what your career aspects are.

I wrote out the informative response to your inquiry but since you edited it I'm a bit lazy to re-type all that jazz.

But at hindsight this is what you should consider....

1) Will you be determined enough to finish all your finance/econ class without "another" folly up? We all choose to cop out of majors when were in the corner, so don't expect econ to be so easy going into the upper divisions.

2) Does it matter if you graduated from a different university other than you're currently attending? If so, brush up on more strengths of a program elsewhere, instead of wasting your money your choice.

3) Make sure to specify what part of finance you want to work in, and stick to it. I can't help but stress the lack of classes I took in the area of finance, closed me off in opportunities to work and also make it easy to pursuit Grad School w/ ease. Specialization is key and having a stable job out of college, is a necessity in this "crappy but optimistic" economy.

Good luck.

I will be determined...it sucked because I went into the sciences without a really strong background OR interest. I just dove in for no reason at all now that i've thought about it.

As far as I know, I'd much prefer to stay at my current school, but that limits me to econ.

STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) majors are the highest in demand right now. The US would like to cutback on the outsourcing in these fields but students are just more attracted to the business field (many not knowing how competitive it actually is). FWIW, I hear more business majors going back for their masters to find a job than I do science/engineering majors.

I'm an Economics major in my final semester. Honestly man, I don't know where this stuff is going to take me. I did an internship doing some public policy work and not once did they ask to apply my studies to what I was doing (granted I was just an intern).

I assume you took an Intro course and you are correct about the math. Many of my courses were basically Calc I all over again (when in doubt, find the derivative
laugh.gif
). My advice to you is AVOID GAME THEORY AT ALL COSTS!

^ Game theory, when learned properly isn't too bad.

Even the basic probability stuff, was the best thing I've had fun with in basic math and some Econ I took. It was those graphs that killed me... Average Total Costs, Elasticity, Marginal Revenue, and etc.

if you're planning to get into accounting/finance, managerial econ allows you to take some classes pertaining to those subjects. (MGT11a,b and ARE171a,b)

maybe look into industrial engineering? i heard its not as hardcore as mechanical/civil, and its for people looking to get into the financial industry or management level jobs. Maybe someone here could shed some more light on that field

^K. Well....I just found out it's out of the picture since my GPA requirement to transfer into Man. Econ is not fulfilled....but for Econ I think I'm okay.

Im kind of in the same predicament as you. I go to UCSD and we dont have business but we do have Econ/MS. Im a transfer and i dont think im in the right major. College will be a waste going for a bachelors with no value. Engineering seems like the only way to go, but i think i want to transfer back home to a CSU and save some money, that i've wasted here at the UC.

Originally Posted by CuriousGeorg3

maybe look into industrial engineering? i heard its not as hardcore as mechanical/civil, and its for people looking to get into the financial industry or management level jobs. Maybe someone here could shed some more light on that field
Yeah I know a few investment bankers and consultants who were industrial engineers aka "imaginary engineers".

Finance FTW

I'm majoring in finance and mathematics. I'm currently studying for my actuarial exams. I'm trying to go into Quantitative Finance. I'm gonna get my Masters in Financial Engineering after college. All of this is basically a fall back (I'm a trader). Worst case, I decide to stop trading and get some back office quant position making six figures to price derivatives.

Originally Posted by CuriousGeorg3

People majoring in engineering (as well as physics and mathematics) can get jobs in the Finance field because there's work for people who can understand the math used in pricing models. If you can understand how to price barrier options and code C++, there's a job for you in finance.

^ Right now, my *%**** start in college is basically eliminating me from the requirements necessary to into Man. Econ (to my understanding holds a little more weight within the field than a plain old econ degree)

I don't know, I just started asking my dad about all this stuff because he was doing finance back in college. I'm looking at the course catalog for the local school near my house and I can't seem to find Finance OR accounting though...so we'll see.

All I know is, I basically don't want to stick it out with science as of right now...my head is pretty clear about that. My plan is to find a career within a year or 2 of graduation, especially one with lots of room to move up. I have this plan in my head where I ultimately want as much financial freedom as possible. I grew up in a middle/upper middle class family and I don't want to lead a life less comfortable than I'm used to...and I see business-related majors as a better means to that than a B.S.

OP don't worry about how many classes you have taken towards your current major already. If you don't enjoy it now you're going to hate it later on when you get a real job in that field. I had a little less than 2 semesters left in comp. sci, but i hated it so much. I only tried for that major because my mother really wanted me to. By my senior year I finally switched to a business major. I'll graduate a few years later than my peers, but I'm enjoying this major much more. Do econ or managerial econ at Davis. Davis' econ program is pretty damn good.

Do what you're passionate about. I suggest taking fin/accy courses while you still can. You can find jobs in accy (most likely), then fin, then econ (not much you can do). I'm a Senior in accy and am pursuing my Masters now/next year. The things I like about accy: it's challenging, much more complex/interesting than people believe it is because all they do is take the intro class and come out hating journal entries and t-accounts when in reality that stuff is automated/not all that important. It's also the language of business, you can get almost any business-related job with an accy background.

PM me if you have anymore questions!

im in a similar boat except im already going business 2nd year admin/finance/marketing i haven't pin pointed what exactly but im thinking about switching it up and going medical or pharmacy as i work in a hospital already and i really wanna be able to find a job out of college and get 50k-60k+ starting, but in the end im more of a business person but now a days everyone is a business major..

Davis has Econ Nick? I didn't know, well I know I'm a business major but I'm stuck between Finance/Management/Economics major, I don't know what I want to do. Good luck with everything bro.

keepzdasneakz - i went to UCD as well. have you looked at Managerial Economics? thats what i majored in. from what people say, M.E. is a lot more broad subject wise. u can take classes from macro econ, to business law, to investments and real estate. you get a really good base for business as a whole.

^yeah man, actually I have...problem is I don't have that 2.8 GPA....and I didn't declare it when i got in =[. I love davis, i honestly do...place is my element and I don't want to go elsewhere, especially not back home to go to a CSU. I've looked at other UCs and it appears Irvine has Business admin with specilization in either accounting/information systems or finance. I might check that out. I don't think I'm taking deep enough math for that though. 

Back
Top Bottom