Air jordan 7 Playoffs retro 2022 - 30th anniversary

The reflections series was not wanted by anyone. And yeah it did screw us from getting the real shoes. imo. Not hearing that most people wanted a 3m covered kick. The way they play with these releases is crazy. They try too hard to give us every thing BUT what we all actually want. A Cardinal would be nice, but its not gonna happen. Its too bland for todays consumer overall. Everything now has to be flashy and look at me over the top. VII fans will always be left wanting more original colors. But they are not heavily sought after. Playoffs get the pass some what cause its a chip shoe. But still they dont create the hype nike and jb wants. Hares and Bords are closer to todays color demand. Both are awesome in their own right though.
The too bland for today's consumer part of this caught my eye. I kinda think that's why FR 5s weren't very hard to get and why they still don't cost much. I remember people complaining that they were too plain. I wonder if JB is beginning to factor that in some nowadays in regards to OG CWs. That was as good of a retro as they are probably going to make nowadays and the hype guys just didn’t get it.

Now it seems like they are avoiding OGs altogether lol.

Today I read in another thread, can not remember which one that Black Cement IVs are plain. To me that is crazy. But if you really think about it, it makes sense why so many look at OG colors as "Meh". If the Concord, or the White Cement 3s and 4s was not as coveted as they are, how would they be received today? Nike and other shoe brands want to market individuality. To stand out. Certain OG Js are too conforming to the uniform and nowadays can be looked at as "Bland". Mostly white and black based Jordans with little amount of accents of red, black, grey are considered boring shoes. Those shoes dont stand out in the crowd. I think the Brands recognize this. Which explains why certain shoes do not get the releases we want.
Take the Cardinal 7 for example. Its a perfect shoe, clean and simple. Works perfect with a Bulls uniform. 30 years ago it worked. But todays standards, they blend in, they are called dad shoes, they dont stand out. Maybe it played into the 5 as well and its resell. The crazy wild bold colors get ATTENTION.
The off white 2 low chicago is another example. Its a perfect clean and simple shoe. But to me, JB does not think it can sell well as is in OG form. They believe they need collab help to make it relevant. Therefore we get the limited OFF WHITE version.
All speculation from my end. But most of the simple color Js that dont have the hype behind them get ignored for this reason imo.

Today I read in another thread, can not remember which one that Black Cement IVs are plain. To me that is crazy. But if you really think about it, it makes sense why so many look at OG colors as "Meh". If the Concord, or the White Cement 3s and 4s was not as coveted as they are, how would they be received today? Nike and other shoe brands want to market individuality. To stand out. Certain OG Js are too conforming to the uniform and nowadays can be looked at as "Bland". Mostly white and black based Jordans with little amount of accents of red, black, grey are considered boring shoes. Those shoes dont stand out in the crowd. I think the Brands recognize this. Which explains why certain shoes do not get the releases we want.
Take the Cardinal 7 for example. Its a perfect shoe, clean and simple. Works perfect with a Bulls uniform. 30 years ago it worked. But todays standards, they blend in, they are called dad shoes, they dont stand out. Maybe it played into the 5 as well and its resell. The crazy wild bold colors get ATTENTION.
The off white 2 low chicago is another example. Its a perfect clean and simple shoe. But to me, JB does not think it can sell well as is in OG form. They believe they need collab help to make it relevant. Therefore we get the limited OFF WHITE version.
All speculation from my end. But most of the simple color Js that dont have the hype behind them get ignored for this reason imo.
It's just funny how it works with certain shoes. A lot of these Dunks that have gotten all the hype possible are pretty plain in reality.

Constant releasing of OG Jordan models was bound to lead to buyer fatigue eventually. I assumed they would slow it down at some point. Also, the majority of younger kids that buy Jordans are so far removed from beginning to know what some of these OG CWs even are. We buy them of course but we are shrinking lol. Keeping up with the now is simply what brands like JB and Nike are going to do at the end of the day. A growing segment of this market just doesn't have the emotional attachment many of us do.

I will not fault the change in view of the Air Jordan. It only makes sense that overtime, the appeal will fade for OG colors. So if Nike and JB knows this, it should be an obligation to make them as true as possible. Its not hurting their pockets at all.
They can keep the plus colors business as usual if they want to.

I will not fault the change in view of the Air Jordan. It only makes sense that overtime, the appeal will fade for OG colors. So if Nike and JB knows this, it should be an obligation to make them as true as possible. Its not hurting their pockets at all.
They can keep the plus colors business as usual if they want to.
That's what they are claiming they have been doing lately lol. Some of the OGs have been a lot better in all honesty. There was a point in time a decade ago where I wouldn't touch a lot of even important releases. This is probably the peak for us lol.

There's one thing I realized. Our loyalty is to Mike, our memories, etc. Each shoe is a story to me because we were there.

Newer generations loyalty lies with the brand. Any Jordan can do it for them because Michael Jordan is a brand before he's legendary basketball player. At least that's how I personally read it.

It bums me out lol

they better not be like the last ones, they better have two tones of suede and not be all one color of black, the last ones were not correct to the og, in fact no retro release of this have ever gotten them right but lately JB has been doing better so I am hopeful these will be like the ogs finally and have two tones of black suede like the ogs

2002 pair was pretty darn close. Only real difference was the oval laces.

Don't forget the glossy painted peaks, and the hints of purple that were too bright compared to the '92.​

I thought the peaks on the midsoles were flat painted, on the OG's? I've never seen an OG in person, so I really wouldn't know though.
They better not be like the last ones.
Ya the contrasting panels are absolutely crucial on this shoe..

SUPER CRUCIAL.

:pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp:

:nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat:

:smokin

Why does JB hate the 7 so much? I was really hoping we would get these this year, being the 30th anniversary and all. What gives??

They have to know that og colorways almost always sell though, especially in this market where everything sells out.

If the shape, and overall build AIN'T slim built like this...

(Which it WON'T be...)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

s-l1600.jpg

Then I DON'T need em...

|l|l|l|l|l|l|l|l

Everything sells out pretty much nowadays because of resellers.

This younger generation doesn't care about the 7, there's no demand for it.
As someone from one of those younger generations (born '00) I definitely find myself being the odd one out due to things like this. I don't really feel like spilling my guts on why I love sneakers and especially Nike/Jordan's, and feel my passion for them and their history is very obvious given where I am (NT). If I tried to talk to someone in my age group or younger about the necessity of say, the sleekness of the toebox on Jordan silhouettes like the 3 for example, or infamous details like the contrast heel, and how necessary it is on the Black Infrareds, they wouldn't understand. Most don't. That isn't to say there aren't people in my age range that haven't also watched many MJ games on YT, taken time to immerse themselves in the history of Michael, the Bulls ( at least from 1985-1998 ), Tinker Hatfield and so on, but it's definitely quite rare in my opinion. Like you said, many in the younger generation do not care nor feel for sneakers the way many of us do here and it shows in the amount of incorrect details many models still have. The 11s could go from their current, near perfect mold (best we've gotten since the '95/'96 OGs imo) back to the 2011 style shape and they'd still fly off shelves regardless.

Back
Top Bottom