Any doctors here??

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Originally Posted by UTVOL23

Rads residency is good. The place im at has a high volume so tons of studies to read but the days fly by. Weekends are off unless on call so basically 8-5 M-F except call. Sounds like nice schedule but tons of outside reading is required although I am really behind on that.

people say surg or rads would be a perfect fit for my strengths and personality.......my only fear of rads is boredom, i would love to be in your position. i def don't wanna end up in a small program, with a low volume of cases. I'd imagine a lot of rads is self directed learning, something i've mastered in med school so far...i never show up to class
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif
Yea man I never went to class either left me a lot of extra free time too cause instead of people going to class then studying at night I would just have to study.  I will say that the personality of a radiologist are diff though in that rads are much more laid back while in general surgeons are a little high strung. I was totally committed to orthopedics till I found rads and never looked back. You definitely wont get bored in radiology. A step 1 ~235 is definitely possible to match but that may leave you in community program  unless the rest of your app really stands out.

im not a doctor so take what i say with a grain of salt.
becoming a doctor takes an immense commitment in terms of time and money so this is not a decision that should be taken lightly
i also dont think you should go into medicine unless you genuinely have a strong passion for it bc not only is it super competitive, it's also super discouraging (lots and lots of studying)
also doctors dont get compensated that well considering how much they invested into getting to where they are, thats not to mention future healthcare reform which will only provide less financial incentives

becoming a doctor takes an immense commitment in terms of time and money so this is not a decision that should be taken lightly
i also dont think you should go into medicine unless you genuinely have a strong passion for it bc not only is it super competitive, it's also super discouraging (lots and lots of studying)
also doctors dont get compensated that well considering how much they invested into getting to where they are, thats not to mention future healthcare reform which will only provide less financial incentives

Originally Posted by kidplay

best advice in this thread..... Learning medicine requires a genuine intellectual curiosity in the biomedical sciences (although some of this $#@ bores the hell out of me) and a desire to help others.-this is a very idealistic view of what it means to be a doctor ofcourse. whatever your motivation is, it better be a strong one
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by kidplay

best advice in this thread..... Learning medicine requires a genuine intellectual curiosity in the biomedical sciences (although some of this $#@ bores the hell out of me) and a desire to help others.-this is a very idealistic view of what it means to be a doctor ofcourse. whatever your motivation is, it better be a strong one
laugh.gif

MD checking in. I dont know what these other people in here are talking about but Med School was cake.^^
^^ j/k Med school takes a lot of dedication, but they were some of the best years of my life.

TypeR- yea for step 1 I used almost exclusively Goljan pretty much all i did was listen to the those lectures and do USMLEWORLD. As far as interviewing it sucks for things like radiology, anes, optho, derm essentially the more competitive residencies where you have to do the transitional/intern years  and then the additional ones for the actual advanced progam. I went on 18 interviews total and it was brutal by late Jan.

Anton- Rads is a GREAT choice. I love it. But tht and surgical subs are really competitive. I know for my program we have like 150+ applicants with step 1 a 250+ and we only have to interview like 2/3 of those so its not all about step 1
with the transition of most anesthesia programs into categorical 4 year residency it makes things a little bit more confusing since i essentially have to apply to 3 types of programs: 4 year anesthesia programs, 3 year advanced anesthesia programs, and prelim/transitional year. i'm planning on ranking mostly 4 year programs higher on my list just to make my life a little easier 

MD checking in. I dont know what these other people in here are talking about but Med School was cake.^^
^^ j/k Med school takes a lot of dedication, but they were some of the best years of my life.

TypeR- yea for step 1 I used almost exclusively Goljan pretty much all i did was listen to the those lectures and do USMLEWORLD. As far as interviewing it sucks for things like radiology, anes, optho, derm essentially the more competitive residencies where you have to do the transitional/intern years  and then the additional ones for the actual advanced progam. I went on 18 interviews total and it was brutal by late Jan.

Anton- Rads is a GREAT choice. I love it. But tht and surgical subs are really competitive. I know for my program we have like 150+ applicants with step 1 a 250+ and we only have to interview like 2/3 of those so its not all about step 1
with the transition of most anesthesia programs into categorical 4 year residency it makes things a little bit more confusing since i essentially have to apply to 3 types of programs: 4 year anesthesia programs, 3 year advanced anesthesia programs, and prelim/transitional year. i'm planning on ranking mostly 4 year programs higher on my list just to make my life a little easier 

Originally Posted by TypeRPinoY

Thats always an option but if you are applying to some cush TY programs it may be worth the move. I had to move cross country twice in a yr for my TY but it was definitely worth it.

Thats always an option but if you are applying to some cush TY programs it may be worth the move. I had to move cross country twice in a yr for my TY but it was definitely worth it.

To TypeRPInoy, UTVOL23, and AntonLaVey...how old were you when you got into Med-School?

And are you guys considered traditional or non-traditional students?

To TypeRPInoy, UTVOL23, and AntonLaVey...how old were you when you got into Med-School?

And are you guys considered traditional or non-traditional students?

i started at 23. took a year to do my masters between undergrad and starting med school.

"non-traditional students" are typically those form whom medicine is a second career, or have at least taken years to work or do something else interesting like peace corps/military/tfa/etc before starting med school.

i started at 23. took a year to do my masters between undergrad and starting med school.

"non-traditional students" are typically those form whom medicine is a second career, or have at least taken years to work or do something else interesting like peace corps/military/tfa/etc before starting med school.

this....i started at 23, got a masters, worked for a year, did some research. but im not a non-trad by any means. i believe the average age for first year med students is 24

this....i started at 23, got a masters, worked for a year, did some research. but im not a non-trad by any means. i believe the average age for first year med students is 24

well there definitely wont be any cross country moves for me. for personal reasons i limited myself geographically when applying. i stuck just to programs in the northeast. 

well there definitely wont be any cross country moves for me. for personal reasons i limited myself geographically when applying. i stuck just to programs in the northeast. 

I'm most likely wrong, but I heard the average was around 26-27...
I'm looking to pursue med-school, the years I need to dedicate would be considered my prime years (mid to late 20's)
How do you guys accept this? Do I just make the best of whats in front of me and enjoy the ride? I'm just worried about missing
out in life...

And what did you guys get your masters in? And why did you guys do it?

I'm looking to pursue med-school, the years I need to dedicate would be considered my prime years (mid to late 20's)
How do you guys accept this? Do I just make the best of whats in front of me and enjoy the ride? I'm just worried about missing
out in life...

Originally Posted by blazinRook

out in life...

masters in biomedical sciences from a med schoo....and yea i wouldn't be surprised if the average is up there. we got some old *** people in my class.
laugh.gif

why i did it? I love human biology and the degree gives me an opportunity to pursue some humanitarian endeavors-im not sure how i intend on fulfilling this promise i made to myself. i was supposed to go to uniformed services (military med school) but chickened out last minute. i think i may join the military after med school or just get involved in doctors without borders.

i do sometimes feel like my 20s are flying by but i do find time for fun and adventure....your'll lose your mind if u don't

like someone already mentioned make sure this is what you want

Originally Posted by blazinRook

out in life...

masters in biomedical sciences from a med schoo....and yea i wouldn't be surprised if the average is up there. we got some old *** people in my class.
laugh.gif

why i did it? I love human biology and the degree gives me an opportunity to pursue some humanitarian endeavors-im not sure how i intend on fulfilling this promise i made to myself. i was supposed to go to uniformed services (military med school) but chickened out last minute. i think i may join the military after med school or just get involved in doctors without borders.

i do sometimes feel like my 20s are flying by but i do find time for fun and adventure....your'll lose your mind if u don't

like someone already mentioned make sure this is what you want

that 26-27 is definitely too high in terms of those starting medical school. the majority of students are still considered "traditional" and are usually within 2 years from graduating undergrad.
hate to burst anyones bubble...but in your mid-20s with a decent job, you are still pretty insignificant. as far as having to "sacrifice" those years to get through med school...it is what it is. you do it because you signed up for it. would you rather do it now or would you rather be the 35 year old guy in the class with a wife and 3 kids that he hardly gets to see because he's studying all the time only to really start his career when he's like 45?

i got my masters in human physiology solely to make myself a better medical student.

that 26-27 is definitely too high in terms of those starting medical school. the majority of students are still considered "traditional" and are usually within 2 years from graduating undergrad.
hate to burst anyones bubble...but in your mid-20s with a decent job, you are still pretty insignificant. as far as having to "sacrifice" those years to get through med school...it is what it is. you do it because you signed up for it. would you rather do it now or would you rather be the 35 year old guy in the class with a wife and 3 kids that he hardly gets to see because he's studying all the time only to really start his career when he's like 45?

i got my masters in human physiology solely to make myself a better medical student.

i used to be a premed student, switched to econ though. i really hated chem and realized im much more fit for business/econ. its tough work man, good luck.

i used to be a premed student, switched to econ though. i really hated chem and realized im much more fit for business/econ. its tough work man, good luck.

Back
Top Bottom