Any doctors here??

yea i honestly dont know too much about military scholarships. i'm sure there are some people in your class that are on it that you could talk to. lord knows this one chick in my class talks about it every chance she can lol.

class schedules? lol that's so 2 years ago lol.

yea i honestly dont know too much about military scholarships. i'm sure there are some people in your class that are on it that you could talk to. lord knows this one chick in my class talks about it every chance she can lol.

class schedules? lol that's so 2 years ago lol.

doctors on NT?? whats goin on here?
First year med student checking in. Med school is hard work but its definitely rewarding. You gotta study like you've never studied before, and even then, you're probably not studying enough. Cant wait til I'm at where you guys are. These basic sciences can be a drag, feels just like undergrad but on steroids. I wanna see patients!

I think I want to eventually go into a surgery subspecialty. Can you guys comment on what kind of lifestyle i can expect to have?? I would go to SDN but i think NT "doctors" can give a unique perspective.

doctors on NT?? whats goin on here?
First year med student checking in. Med school is hard work but its definitely rewarding. You gotta study like you've never studied before, and even then, you're probably not studying enough. Cant wait til I'm at where you guys are. These basic sciences can be a drag, feels just like undergrad but on steroids. I wanna see patients!

I think I want to eventually go into a surgery subspecialty. Can you guys comment on what kind of lifestyle i can expect to have?? I would go to SDN but i think NT "doctors" can give a unique perspective.

expect to be in at 5am every day and out at least 12 hours later. expect to be on your feet most of the day and to miss a lot of meals. at the same time, expect to make more and be respected more than your colleagues. it really takes a certain personality to be a surgeon.

expect to be in at 5am every day and out at least 12 hours later. expect to be on your feet most of the day and to miss a lot of meals. at the same time, expect to make more and be respected more than your colleagues. it really takes a certain personality to be a surgeon.

Bio Major. Really hoping I can get into a US MD program, but I haven't ruled out Carribbean. Actually the justification for them gets higher and higher every day...

Anyway, kudos to you guys who are doing your thing. You are the cause of feelings of jealously in all us pre-meds.

Bio Major. Really hoping I can get into a US MD program, but I haven't ruled out Carribbean. Actually the justification for them gets higher and higher every day...

Anyway, kudos to you guys who are doing your thing. You are the cause of feelings of jealously in all us pre-meds.

Originally Posted by UTVOL23

To be honest I didnt let med school control my life I still went out and had fun you just have certain times where you have to buckle down and focus on getting things done and put everything else in your life on hold
best advice here and the same thing i tell all my friends starting med school.
2nd year ER resident here... 13-16 12 hour shifts a month, off the other days, never on call, no pager, get to wear scrubs with all my kicks, love it.
for the guys studying for boards, any step... USMLE WORLD trust me. do very well on step 1 so you can give yourself the option of going into a competitive field even if you arent sure what you want to do yet. also good letters of rec are important.
intern year sucks, just suck it up and get thru it.
dont do medicine unless you love it because it can get insane at times and you may find yourself questioning your decision. i know i have many times.
good luck to all you guys... theres light at the end of the tunnel.

To be honest I didnt let med school control my life I still went out and had fun you just have certain times where you have to buckle down and focus on getting things done and put everything else in your life on hold
best advice here and the same thing i tell all my friends starting med school.
2nd year ER resident here... 13-16 12 hour shifts a month, off the other days, never on call, no pager, get to wear scrubs with all my kicks, love it.
for the guys studying for boards, any step... USMLE WORLD trust me. do very well on step 1 so you can give yourself the option of going into a competitive field even if you arent sure what you want to do yet. also good letters of rec are important.
intern year sucks, just suck it up and get thru it.
dont do medicine unless you love it because it can get insane at times and you may find yourself questioning your decision. i know i have many times.
good luck to all you guys... theres light at the end of the tunnel.

MD checking in. I dont know what these other people in here are talking about but Med School was cake.
eek.gif
eek.gif

- You need a bachelor's degree from an accredited BRICK AND MORTAR school - no online colleges.. 
- You don't have to major in pre-med or even science, but most people who plan on becoming a physician do major in a science. 
- You need to have competitive overall and science G.P.A.'s (3.5 minimum). 
- You have to get a competitive score on the MCAT (30 is a good target). 
- You need to shadow a few doctors before you apply.
- You need to do a lot of community service before you apply.
- If you're accepted, that's four years of med school.
- After med school, depending on your specialty/residency/fellowship, you're looking at several years of training.

Also, tuition at a public medical school in your home state is probably going to be drastically lower than private school or out-of-state.  

- You need a bachelor's degree from an accredited BRICK AND MORTAR school - no online colleges.. 
- You don't have to major in pre-med or even science, but most people who plan on becoming a physician do major in a science. 
- You need to have competitive overall and science G.P.A.'s (3.5 minimum). 
- You have to get a competitive score on the MCAT (30 is a good target). 
- You need to shadow a few doctors before you apply.
- You need to do a lot of community service before you apply.
- If you're accepted, that's four years of med school.
- After med school, depending on your specialty/residency/fellowship, you're looking at several years of training.

Also, tuition at a public medical school in your home state is probably going to be drastically lower than private school or out-of-state.  

Originally Posted by TypeRPinoY

damn its like that. dont know if im "bout that life" even if i do love slicing and dicing haha. u guys have any advice in regards to choosing a specialty u love(surgery) versus doing something that affords a lifestyle you want (anesthesia).

Originally Posted by TypeRPinoY

damn its like that. dont know if im "bout that life" even if i do love slicing and dicing haha. u guys have any advice in regards to choosing a specialty u love(surgery) versus doing something that affords a lifestyle you want (anesthesia).

i'm not going to defend my choice to go into anesthesia....but suffice it to say your statement about it being "boring" is ultra stereotypical and the one that people who have never spent a day in the field make.

Back
Top Bottom