Apple Won.

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

Originally Posted by 3onPar5

I think again people are failing to see the POTENTIAL of this device. I know my kid would love to have this in the app in the backseat while driving somewhere. For a kid of today this is the new Nintendo, or whatever toy was big back in the day. The iPad will be an amazing device. Give it a year.
I'm with you.

The vast majority of NTer's seem to be really short sighted.
why are people making excuses for a device that doesn't have da MUST HAVES on it and spin in into "well its got potential" F that.....this isn't da NBA draft, i'll wait till da goods is

on da machine THEN you can talk about how good it is instead of how good it MIGHT be...

Originally Posted by proper english

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

whats next? an audio version included.. why not just watch the movie?

it does seem a bit unneccersary.. reinventing something that doesnt NEED it

so are a lot of video games 
eyes.gif
 the hell is everyones point in here? 
grin.gif

Boys Noize wrote:
3onPar5 wrote:
I think again people are failing to see the POTENTIAL of this device. I know my kid would love to have this in the app in the backseat while driving somewhere. For a kid of today this is the new Nintendo, or whatever toy was big back in the day. The iPad will be an amazing device. Give it a year.
nah.. hating on Apple is the latest hype. 
laugh.gif

Co-Sign.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

I'm with you.

why are people making excuses for a device that doesn't have da MUST HAVES on it and spin in into "well its got potential" F that.....this isn't da NBA draft, i'll wait till da goods is

on da machine THEN you can talk about how good it is instead of how good it MIGHT be...
The reason the iPad's potential is talked about is because it's application driven. Just like a regular laptop is completely useless without actual applications on it, the iPad won't be great until the developers get to work and start churning things out. When computer's were first being put out, they paled in comparison to what we have now right? The iPad is a completely new platform and it JUST came out yet people are expecting this first incarnation to be the end all be all, like that ever happens with any piece of technology. The iPad is only as good as the programs it can run and the potential for amazing applications is extremely high. Multi-touch capabilities plus the devices size gives it a ton of room to grow. Developers can create things on this that would have been impossible on the iTouch/iPhone.

I empathize that it's disappointing that the iPad doesn't include several things but these are things that I believe will be rectified in future incarnations + firmware updates. With that being said, I think too many people are taking for granted the things the iPad DOES have and are making too big a deal about what it lacks.

btw, I don't own an iPad and don't plan to pick up a first generation one. I do, however, recognize that this thing will be extraordinarily successful and will revolutionize how we consume media.

^ yeah the ipad's a beast.....this is only the first gen...you're going to see more and more professions and university courses implement it into their day-to-day activities.

I'm with you.

The reason the iPad's potential is talked about is because it's application driven. Just like a regular laptop is completely useless without actual applications on it, the iPad won't be great until the developers get to work and start churning things out. When computer's were first being put out, they paled in comparison to what we have now right? The iPad is a completely new platform and it JUST came out yet people are expecting this first incarnation to be the end all be all, like that ever happens with any piece of technology. The iPad is only as good as the programs it can run and the potential for amazing applications is extremely high. Multi-touch capabilities plus the devices size gives it a ton of room to grow. Developers can create things on this that would have been impossible on the iTouch/iPhone.

I empathize that it's disappointing that the iPad doesn't include several things but these are things that I believe will be rectified in future incarnations + firmware updates. With that being said, I think too many people are taking for granted the things the iPad DOES have and are making too big a deal about what it lacks.

btw, I don't own an iPad and don't plan to pick up a first generation one. I do, however, recognize that this thing will be extraordinarily successful and will revolutionize how we consume media.
for the love of athena and all her wisdom
please can you apple fanboys just stop it

How will the iPad revolutionize how we consume media? This thing going to download videos when I think about them? Or am I going to have to connect to the internet and find a non-flash source? Doesn't sound too revolutionary.

"iPad is only as good as the programs it can run..." You mean, like Flash?

I don't see why the iPad is so revolutionary and amazing. Its a big iPhone that can't make/receive calls and struggles to maintain a wifi signal. Congrats. Multi-touch? Wow, cool. Pinch-to-zoom is useless on a 10" screen. I don't see the iPad competing w/XBox and PS in the gaming realm. It does have a distinct advantage over the two in that users can play free games and w/downloads > DVDs it is easier for games to spread through social networks. But I only see that being relevant for things like Bejeweled or Farmville, neither of which I play or recognize as part of the "gaming industry."

Originally Posted by shatterkneesinc

I'm with you.

are you dense? BN was not praising the iPad in anyway,.. 
eyes.gif

ya'll are ridiculous with this fanboy anti hype nonsense. 
laugh.gif
grin.gif

Originally Posted by DaNiKeRhiNo

Originally Posted by proper english

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

whats next? an audio version included.. why not just watch the movie?

it does seem a bit unneccersary.. reinventing something that doesnt NEED it

so are a lot of video games 
eyes.gif
 the hell is everyones point in here? 
grin.gif

Boys Noize wrote:
3onPar5 wrote:
I was just going to say that, this would be perfect for kids. People act like Pop out books don't exist, they essentially serve the same purpose and it's to entertain children.

yes you also entertain kids with a bag of books. Books they quickly become bored of so they toss one aside and look in another. (will I need to buy 20-25 books at $15 dollars a/app ontop of the original investment of the ipad?). Kids also tend to be quite clumsy. Will Apple come out with a hardback turtle shell for this thing if they want kids handling it for books? I still have hardback books from when I was little lying around. Sturdy as hell. A lot of my books have writing in them with crayon. what do you have here?? I'd call it a G word but is that appropriate?

its like the whole e-book and virtual newspaper debate. People and even kids like to run their fingers on the pages and still have a physical object in their possession.. I guess though, the ipad gives people an alternative. alternatives are good, i guess.

I do like the fact that Apple has the backing of all these companies with apps and what not.. I was really big into the whole sony minidisc phase back around 2000. A smaller mobile 'cd player' with a mic input... But that never really took off.. Apple appears to have the marketing prowess to have these companies ready to develop. I'll give them that credit.

Lastly, with HD video taking over, will they create a harddrive that can sync up to the ipad for storage, to play back the video? Bluray and DVDs take up so much space. How much video can I really get on an ipad? laptops you pop in discs and thats all you need. i guess thats the future. capacity limitations vs. video quality storage sizes.

I'm with you.

laugh.gif

the only possible way i would even consider buying this devise is if it had flash or HTML5 is released. Aside from being larger than my iPhone 3GS, it offer relatively no majors features that warrants the $500+ price tag. Simply, that money would be better spent investing in the entry level macbook pro. 

Originally Posted by TacC4

How will the iPad revolutionize how we consume media? This thing going to download videos when I think about them? Or am I going to have to connect to the internet and find a non-flash source? Doesn't sound too revolutionary.

I don't see why the iPad is so revolutionary and amazing. Its a big iPhone that can't make/receive calls and struggles to maintain a wifi signal. Congrats. Multi-touch? Wow, cool. Pinch-to-zoom is useless on a 10" screen. I don't see the iPad competing w/XBox and PS in the gaming realm. It does have a distinct advantage over the two in that users can play free games and w/downloads > DVDs it is easier for games to spread through social networks. But I only see that being relevant for things like Bejeweled or Farmville, neither of which I play or recognize as part of the "gaming industry."
It's revolutionary because of how it will be able to present media. The medical industry will definitely be able to put this device to use to better interact with patients. I could see it being used to help doctors visualize better the vast amount of information on all the different patients they have. I could see this device being used in education. The multi-touch could be used in programs to better help students understand the material they're learning. Imagine having this thing in your kitchen with all of your recipe books consolidated into this thin device. Just in this post we already see an example of how the reading experience could be enhanced. I could see this being used in the business world to share and display information.

Honestly, there are so many possibilities for this thing, it's amazing that people are only thinking of what is already available as opposed to what may be possible. If there's an economic incentive, I don't see why these things won't come to fruition. Like anything else, if people can make money off it, people will innovate and create. It's simple.

As for Flash, Apple believes HTML5 is the future. We'll see how that goes.

It's revolutionary because of how it will be able to present media. The medical industry will definitely be able to put this device to use to better interact with patients. I could see it being used to help doctors visualize better the vast amount of information on all the different patients they have. I could see this device being used in education. The multi-touch could be used in programs to better help students understand the material they're learning. Imagine having this thing in your kitchen with all of your recipe books consolidated into this thin device. Just in this post we already see an example of how the reading experience could be enhanced. I could see this being used in the business world to share and display information.

Honestly, there are so many possibilities for this thing, it's amazing that people are only thinking of what is already available as opposed to what may be possible. If there's an economic incentive, I don't see why these things won't come to fruition. Like anything else, if people can make money off it, people will innovate and create. It's simple.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

how the %!%! is the ipad gonna help with patient interaction?

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

the recipes already ARE available in the kitchen, it's called "bring your @%*%%+* laptop into the kitchen"

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

and finally, i guess businesses weren't sharing information BEFORE the launch of the ipad? oh !%!* i forgot, they got powerpoint, projectors, business meeting printouts, phones, COMPUTERS, LAPTOPS, CELL PHONES, LOLOLOL

Boys Noize wrote:

How are the cooking/medical/military/educational applications any different than what we can get on other platforms? Touch screens are 30 years old, so the innovation is going to have to come from somewhere else. I don't see how an iPad revolutionizes the medical industry. My doctor takes his laptop from one room to the next as he visits patients, but I don't see how the iPad will improve that process. Your hypothetical patient database only relates to software that is not iPad-specific, so I have to ask again what specifically the iPad does to justify the time/money needed to transition from PCs. What, it eliminates a keyboard? That's kinda cool, but more of a cosmetic upgrade than anything. Same w/the recipes. Why can't I just take my laptop into the kitchen? At least then I could see the screen from across the kitchen - keep in mind the iPad is going to sit flat on the counter w/o some sort of stand. Toughbooks are bricks but I'm sure they can withstand much more of a beating than an iPad. And the portability of the iPad is part of the appeal, so its going to get dropped/smashed.
The best argument for the widespread adoption of the iPad is the idea that people are going to be falling all over themselves to get one. This means that developers will have to make apps that run on the iPad if they want their products to remain relevant. Therefore, the best products will only be available on the iPad and the fact that everyone else is using an iPad will be the reason you should buy an iPad. Ironically, this is the same argument that PC users have been making against Macs.

I *%$* with Apple, but some of you dudes are the reason why they get hated on
laugh.gif

Talking about revolutionizing the way we consume media.. *%$*, you better make sure you in a place with AC before the damn thing overheats and shuts off.

Originally Posted by recycledpaper

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

the recipes already ARE available in the kitchen, it's called "bring your @%*%%+* laptop into the kitchen"

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

and finally, i guess businesses weren't sharing information BEFORE the launch of the ipad? oh !%!* i forgot, they got powerpoint, projectors, business meeting printouts, phones, COMPUTERS, LAPTOPS, CELL PHONES, LOLOLOL
I'm no developer but I can definitely see the iPad being used to help with patient interaction. Being able to visually display to your patient what exactly may be wrong with them is extremely valuable. Currently, all doctor's have to interact with their patients is through conversation (and we all know how translating medical jargon into layman's terms is already difficult) and pages of reading material. I don't see how this won't help. Honestly, this is one of the more obvious things that will be eventually developed.

As for the recipe bit, sure you can bring your laptop into the kitchen but the iPad is an e-reader and one of it's purposes is to replace physical books. Your knock on this point isn't on the iPad, it's on e-readers. I just pointed this out for the iPad because the iPad is in color and is currently the most fleshed out e-reader on the market as far as developmental potential goes. This thread is about innovating the reading experience
laugh.gif
Come on. Imagine being able to sift through recipes with built in Youtube videos on the page or animated instructions? I mean, they already do the embedded youtube videos for the NYTimes app, I don't see why they couldn't do it for recipe e-books.

and finally, just because businesses were sharing information before doesn't mean there can't be innovative new ways for that information to be shared. Are you kidding me? A part of innovation is taking a preexisting thing and bettering it. Just because you can already docertain things doesn't mean you can't always do it better. VCR's ->DVD's. Pencil's -> Pen's. Desktops -> Laptops. Cassette's ->iPods. The list goes on.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I'm no developer but I can definitely see the iPad being used to help with patient interaction. Being able to visually display to your patient what exactly may be wrong with them is extremely valuable. Currently, all doctor's have to interact with their patients is through conversation (and we all know how translating medical jargon into layman's terms is already difficult) and pages of reading material. I don't see how this won't help. Honestly, this is one of the more obvious things that will be eventually developed.

As for the recipe bit, sure you can bring your laptop into the kitchen but the iPad is an e-reader and one of it's purposes is to replace physical books. Your knock on this point isn't on the iPad, it's on e-readers. I just pointed this out for the iPad because the iPad is in color and is currently the most fleshed out e-reader on the market as far as developmental potential goes. This thread is about innovating the reading experience
laugh.gif
Come on. Imagine being able to sift through recipes with built in Youtube videos on the page or animated instructions? I mean, they already do the embedded youtube videos for the NYTimes app, I don't see why they couldn't do it for recipe e-books.

and finally, just because businesses were sharing information before doesn't mean there can't be innovative new ways for that information to be shared. Are you kidding me? A part of innovation is taking a preexisting thing and bettering it. Just because you can already docertain things doesn't mean you can't always do it better. VCR's ->DVD's. Pencil's -> Pen's. Desktops -> Laptops. Cassette's ->iPods. The list goes on.
1156.jpg

Boys Noize wrote:

How are the cooking/medical/military/educational applications any different than what we can get on other platforms? Touch screens are 30 years old, so the innovation is going to have to come from somewhere else. I don't see how an iPad revolutionizes the medical industry. My doctor takes his laptop from one room to the next as he visits patients, but I don't see how the iPad will improve that process. Your hypothetical patient database only relates to software that is not iPad-specific, so I have to ask again what specifically the iPad does to justify the time/money needed to transition from PCs. What, it eliminates a keyboard? That's kinda cool, but more of a cosmetic upgrade than anything. Same w/the recipes. Why can't I just take my laptop into the kitchen? At least then I could see the screen from across the kitchen - keep in mind the iPad is going to sit flat on the counter w/o some sort of stand. Toughbooks are bricks but I'm sure they can withstand much more of a beating than an iPad. And the portability of the iPad is part of the appeal, so its going to get dropped/smashed.
The best argument for the widespread adoption of the iPad is the idea that people are going to be falling all over themselves to get one. This means that developers will have to make apps that run on the iPad if they want their products to remain relevant. Therefore, the best products will only be available on the iPad and the fact that everyone else is using an iPad will be the reason you should buy an iPad. Ironically, this is the same argument that PC users have been making against Macs.

Everything right now is of course hypothetical. We're talking about potential here. I can see the potential because I have a strong belief that being able to visually convey an idea is the most effective way to get something across. I believe the iPad can revolutionize how the medical field can visualize information. Also, once again, you're talking about what the iPad can currently do. I'm talking about potential use. I said it has multi-touch capabilities as well as a ton of screen to take advantage of. iPad is more portable than a laptop. Is this an argument? No. It is also a better e-reader than laptops will ever be. Talking like dropping a laptop wouldn't break it either
laugh.gif
You stick to a desktop?

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

laugh.gif

1156.jpg
laugh.gif
You're a clown, buddy.

Back
Top Bottom