Apple Won.

outside im hating, but deep down inside...i want one
nerd.gif

LOL @ people that don't see the possible betterment the ipad and similar technology can bring us..you'd actually have to be short-sighted or ******ed.

don't let the nerdy labels like "fanboy" or whatever blind you.

Originally Posted by BrOwNiN187

LOL @ people that don't see the possible betterment the ipad and similar technology can bring us..you'd actually have to be short-sighted or ******ed.

da problem is da competition is already making tablets that can do what da ipad was SUPPOSED to do.(see HP slate)

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

Originally Posted by TacC4

Boys Noize wrote:

It's revolutionary because of how it will be able to present media. The medical industry will definitely be able to put this device to use to better interact with patients. I could see it being used to help doctors visualize better the vast amount of information on all the different patients they have. I could see this device being used in education. The multi-touch could be used in programs to better help students understand the material they're learning. Imagine having this thing in your kitchen with all of your recipe books consolidated into this thin device. Just in this post we already see an example of how the reading experience could be enhanced. I could see this being used in the business world to share and display information.

Honestly, there are so many possibilities for this thing, it's amazing that people are only thinking of what is already available as opposed to what may be possible. If there's an economic incentive, I don't see why these things won't come to fruition. Like anything else, if people can make money off it, people will innovate and create. It's simple.

As for Flash, Apple believes HTML5 is the future. We'll see how that goes.
How are the cooking/medical/military/educational applications any different than what we can get on other platforms? Touch screens are 30 years old, so the innovation is going to have to come from somewhere else. I don't see how an iPad revolutionizes the medical industry. My doctor takes his laptop from one room to the next as he visits patients, but I don't see how the iPad will improve that process. Your hypothetical patient database only relates to software that is not iPad-specific, so I have to ask again what specifically the iPad does to justify the time/money needed to transition from PCs. What, it eliminates a keyboard? That's kinda cool, but more of a cosmetic upgrade than anything. Same w/the recipes. Why can't I just take my laptop into the kitchen? At least then I could see the screen from across the kitchen - keep in mind the iPad is going to sit flat on the counter w/o some sort of stand. Toughbooks are bricks but I'm sure they can withstand much more of a beating than an iPad. And the portability of the iPad is part of the appeal, so its going to get dropped/smashed.
The best argument for the widespread adoption of the iPad is the idea that people are going to be falling all over themselves to get one. This means that developers will have to make apps that run on the iPad if they want their products to remain relevant. Therefore, the best products will only be available on the iPad and the fact that everyone else is using an iPad will be the reason you should buy an iPad. Ironically, this is the same argument that PC users have been making against Macs.
Everything right now is of course hypothetical. We're talking about potential here. I can see the potential because I have a strong belief that being able to visually convey an idea is the most effective way to get something across. I believe the iPad can revolutionize how the medical field can visualize information. Also, once again, you're talking about what the iPad can currently do. I'm talking about potential use. I said it has multi-touch capabilities as well as a ton of screen to take advantage of. iPad is more portable than a laptop. Is this an argument? No. It is also a better e-reader than laptops will ever be. Talking like dropping a laptop wouldn't break it either
laugh.gif
You stick to a desktop?

why not develop for a platform that has the computing power, graphics card, memory to do some real CRAZY type of interactions. all these apps are so touch crazy. show me something with substance. i guess whatever sells, they will develop and downgrade operations to meet consumers. I just dont get why laptops arent seem as the future when they have so much more going for them.. 500gb of space, disc drives, usb ports. you know the stuff we had a decade ago

Originally Posted by ninjahood

da problem is da competition is already making tablets that can do what da ipad was SUPPOSED to do.(see HP slate)

It won't be widely adopted or developed as the iPad. Why would developers of applications not work on a platform that is guaranteed to reach the maximum number of people?

It's like making the world's greatest video game console ever but no one make video games for it.

Originally Posted by YoungTriz

Originally Posted by recycledpaper

Originally Posted by 3onPar5

I think again people are failing to see the POTENTIAL of this device. I know my kid would love to have this in the app in the backseat while driving somewhere. For a kid of today this is the new Nintendo, or whatever toy was big back in the day. The iPad will be an amazing device. Give it a year.

1) why don't you talk about the potential of this device instead of just SAYING it has potential.
2) lol @ you thinking this will replace anything nintendo comes out with.
laugh.gif
 if you put a MacsiPad next to a DSi.... and now way in hell my son is gonna pick up the MacsiPad over the DSi.... my son uses the camera, plays games, and listens to music on it and he just turned 4.. if he knew how to use the internet he would probably do it...

I see what your saying.....

guess this is a 'computer' for everyone, it's pretty cool looking and does basic and useless stuff  but most people would be happy to play with it.

new toy

Now if they can do that with my college text books and make it interactive. Instant cop.

Quizes built in each chapter, videos of examples, Q&A interlaced with the worldwide web on the same subject is what im waiting for.

And of course flash, webcam, multitask, bluetooth.

Originally Posted by quik1987

It won't be widely adopted or developed as the iPad. Why would developers of applications not work on a platform that is guaranteed to reach the maximum number of people?

It's like making the world's greatest video game console ever but no one make video games for it.
laugh.gif
 So you do agree that better products exist?   

Originally Posted by F A Y B A N

laugh.gif

yes, what's so funny?

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

Originally Posted by TacC4

Boys Noize wrote:

It's revolutionary because of how it will be able to present media. The medical industry will definitely be able to put this device to use to better interact with patients. I could see it being used to help doctors visualize better the vast amount of information on all the different patients they have. I could see this device being used in education. The multi-touch could be used in programs to better help students understand the material they're learning. Imagine having this thing in your kitchen with all of your recipe books consolidated into this thin device. Just in this post we already see an example of how the reading experience could be enhanced. I could see this being used in the business world to share and display information.

Honestly, there are so many possibilities for this thing, it's amazing that people are only thinking of what is already available as opposed to what may be possible. If there's an economic incentive, I don't see why these things won't come to fruition. Like anything else, if people can make money off it, people will innovate and create. It's simple.

As for Flash, Apple believes HTML5 is the future. We'll see how that goes.
How are the cooking/medical/military/educational applications any different than what we can get on other platforms? Touch screens are 30 years old, so the innovation is going to have to come from somewhere else. I don't see how an iPad revolutionizes the medical industry. My doctor takes his laptop from one room to the next as he visits patients, but I don't see how the iPad will improve that process. Your hypothetical patient database only relates to software that is not iPad-specific, so I have to ask again what specifically the iPad does to justify the time/money needed to transition from PCs. What, it eliminates a keyboard? That's kinda cool, but more of a cosmetic upgrade than anything. Same w/the recipes. Why can't I just take my laptop into the kitchen? At least then I could see the screen from across the kitchen - keep in mind the iPad is going to sit flat on the counter w/o some sort of stand. Toughbooks are bricks but I'm sure they can withstand much more of a beating than an iPad. And the portability of the iPad is part of the appeal, so its going to get dropped/smashed.
The best argument for the widespread adoption of the iPad is the idea that people are going to be falling all over themselves to get one. This means that developers will have to make apps that run on the iPad if they want their products to remain relevant. Therefore, the best products will only be available on the iPad and the fact that everyone else is using an iPad will be the reason you should buy an iPad. Ironically, this is the same argument that PC users have been making against Macs.
Everything right now is of course hypothetical. We're talking about potential here. I can see the potential because I have a strong belief that being able to visually convey an idea is the most effective way to get something across. I believe the iPad can revolutionize how the medical field can visualize information. Also, once again, you're talking about what the iPad can currently do. I'm talking about potential use. I said it has multi-touch capabilities as well as a ton of screen to take advantage of. iPad is more portable than a laptop. Is this an argument? No. It is also a better e-reader than laptops will ever be. Talking like dropping a laptop wouldn't break it either
laugh.gif
You stick to a desktop?
why not develop for a platform that has the computing power, graphics card, memory to do some real CRAZY type of interactions. all these apps are so touch crazy. show me something with substance. i guess whatever sells, they will develop and downgrade operations to meet consumers. I just dont get why laptops arent seem as the future when they have so much more going for them.. 500gb of space, disc drives, usb ports. you know the stuff we had a decade ago

Have you seen the iPad screen man? That thing is gorgeous
laugh.gif
I think laptops and iPad's serve two different purposes. Laptops are much more productive devices currently and I can't imagine anyone typing up a research paper or doing heavy photo editing on an iPad. With that being said, some of the things the iPad can do, it definitely does better than a laptop. Being used as an e-reader, mobility, and interactivity. While being able to visualize something is important (and the iPad does that beautifully), implementing another sense, touch, makes the experience that much better. That's my opinion. Just like while tasting an orange is great, being able to smell it at the same time adds to the experience however minimally.

As for the technical aspects, eventually flash drives will get to the capacities of current laptops. Disc drives are heavy and heat up + not portable. USB should definitely be implemented.

Originally Posted by F A Y B A N

laugh.gif

yes, what's so funny?
Because the case being made for Apple is that it's "revolutionary" when the real discussion should be about popularity based on marketing and name ID, and not particularly innovative technology.  

Wait, does Apple having the name recognition factor and the ability to attract more developers than other platforms piss some of you guys off? I'm kind of getting that vibe. It seems you guys think there's something wrong with that. Like marketing isn't a huge part of any product?

If people are drawn to the product, regardless of reasoning, developers will create for it. That's just how it works. I'm sorry your non-descript 3rd party tablet that will join the party too late isn't going to get the same love.

iPad as an e-reader = NO, NO, NO.
LCD screen for long periods of reading are bad for your eyes. FACT.
When it comes to reading, e-ink >>> LCD.

Wait, does Apple having the name recognition factor and the ability to attract more developers than other platforms piss some of you guys off? I'm kind of getting that vibe. It seems you guys think there's something wrong with that. Like marketing isn't a huge part of any product?

If people are drawn to the product, regardless of reasoning, developers will create for it. That's just how it works. I'm sorry your non-descript 3rd party tablet that will join the party too late isn't going to get the same love.

It's the amount of people that are brainwashed into thinking Apple's products are works of God when in fact, they're not. Look at the number of tech blogs and anything in the media that praise everything Apple makes.

Originally Posted by LimitedRetroOG

Overblown. We've all used computers or played video games for extended periods of time. Like the LCD screen deterred any of us from staring at the laptop or television for extended periods. NT is testament to this (I swear some of you guys live on this website. I'm not making a great case for myself either with this thread
laugh.gif
)

laugh.gif
 You sir, are an idiot.  So if you can convince the majority to support an inferior product, or something that works against their interests (getting the most out of their dollars spent), you should get props for that?  Marketing and the effects of have absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the product.  

laugh.gif
Again what does this do that my laptop doesnt do? They made another Iphone that wont let you call people and charge you $400 for it

Apple won

Whoever bought this loss to marketing

Originally Posted by LimitedRetroOG

Overblown. We've all used computers or played video games for extended periods of time. Like the LCD screen deterred any of us from staring at the laptop or television for extended periods. NT is testament to this (I swear some of you guys live on this website. I'm not making a great case for myself either with this thread
laugh.gif
)

Dude, extended periods of reading a "book" on an LCD screen is not the same as playing video games or browsing on a computer.

theres something about NT and Wale.
theres something about NT and iPhones
theres something about NT and iPads

are people here just salty because their PCs got viruses and macs didnt? i dont get it.

slates/tablets are coming out in 2 forms.

android (which is getting a huge boost in apps developed) or full OSes (windows 7). and you're saying it wont be as developed as the ipad? you can only do so much in apple's closed OS.

Back
Top Bottom