Are Filipinos considered Asian?

this thread reminds me of that why are dominicans ashamed of being black thread
laugh.gif

I will admit I do get a kick out of calling Russians Asian.

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DecemberLove

indifferent.gif
 At those of you who think Filipinos are considered Asians....

There are 8 continents: N. America, S. America, Europe, Africa, Australia, Antarctica, Asia, aaaaaaaaaand of course the Pacific Islands

grin.gif

laugh.gif

What's wrong with being Asian? These dudes are shunning it hard.

Many Filipino Americans, especially in the Bay Area/California have some of the biggest identity crisis I have ever seen. These Filipino Americans are the biggest posers and it saddens me. When I think of Filipino American Culture I think of kids who are blind and don't know if they are Kanye West, 50 Cent, Brad Pitt, or Tom Cruise any day of the week. They are obsessed with American Culture and want so much ti not be "Far East Asian". It's bigger than just being posers. I see our generation lacking any real Filipino role models in the medical/finance/law fields. More so in the entertainment fields. While a large majority of Chinese American and Vietnamese American kids have dreams on becoming doctors, pharmacists, CPA's and lawyers, we don't know what we want to be and our parents probably work in the Post Office so that's not helping much at all.

I am a CPA in one of the largest offices of a the larges global public accounting firm in the world and I am surrounded by whites, chinese, vietnamese, and a whole lotta indians. They are all confident and assured of their nationality/culture/goals. There is one other Filipino person in my office and she is from the Philippines. I am the only Filipino American here. All my other Filipino American friends from high school are trying to start up clothing Companies that look like 10 Deep / Crooks and Castles knock offs........... real sad.

Originally Posted by Brolic Scholar

Originally Posted by DecemberLove

indifferent.gif
 At those of you who think Filipinos are considered Asians....

There are 8 continents: N. America, S. America, Europe, Africa, Australia, Antarctica, Asia, aaaaaaaaaand of course the Pacific Islands

grin.gif

laugh.gif

What's wrong with being Asian? These dudes are shunning it hard.

A lot of Filipino-Americans (specifically) don't know their own history, sadly and this is the end result.
You get other ethnicities trying to brand you of what you are (who you are) then you got your own ethnic brethren still confused. No offense but even the Hmongs and Miens know where they're coming and they don't even have a country... just saying.

So 
indifferent.gif
 @ those playing the deny card on being Asian. Already argued with Bastitch about this a while back and realized it's just one of those agree/disagree type of deals.

I've always been confused by this argument. And I'm filipino.

I just say yes when people ask me if I'm asian.

andd yes when people ask me if I'm a pacific islander.

Originally Posted by DC SOUNDS

Many Filipino Americans, especially in the Bay Area/California have some of the biggest identity crisis I have ever seen. These Filipino Americans are the biggest posers and it saddens me. When I think of Filipino American Culture I think of kids who are blind and don't know if they are Kanye West, 50 Cent, Brad Pitt, or Tom Cruise any day of the week. They are obsessed with American Culture and want so much ti not be "Far East Asian". It's bigger than just being posers. I see our generation lacking any real Filipino role models in the medical/finance/law fields. More so in the entertainment fields. While a large majority of Chinese American and Vietnamese American kids have dreams on becoming doctors, pharmacists, CPA's and lawyers, we don't know what we want to be and our parents probably work in the Post Office so that's not helping much at all.

I am a CPA in one of the largest offices of a the larges global public accounting firm in the world and I am surrounded by whites, chinese, vietnamese, and a whole lotta indians. They are all confident and assured of their nationality/culture/goals. There is one other Filipino person in my office and she is from the Philippines. I am the only Filipino American here. All my other Filipino American friends from high school are trying to start up clothing Companies that look like 10 Deep / Crooks and Castles knock offs........... real sad.
Don't flatter yourself. Filipino Americans obsessed with American culture? Why the hell not, we're Americans aren't we? By virtue of being born in California, my culture and upbringing is and will be inherently American. Any culture from the Philippines belongs to my parents and although I was influenced by it growing up, it's not my own. I have a lot of respect for what was taught to me, however. Filipino culture was the way my parents lived, but not how I lived. Expecting your child to uphold culture that isn't theirs is asking too much in my opinion. 

And don't act like they're aren't people in the Philippines obsessed with American culture, especially pop culture. 

How can you be a Filipino American and harbor such disdain for your peers? You of all people should understand the identity crisis we go through. And more Filipinos in entertainment, the medical field, law, pharmaceutical industry or whatever has no influence whatsoever on my choice of occupation. You could be whatever the hell you want to be, no matter what ethnic background.

So what if some of us want to design street wear? Who the @@@# are you? Your post is just full of silly generalizations. Just because you've bolstered and exemplified whatever cultural aspects or idea of success your parents ingrained in that close-minded head of yours doesn't mean the rest of us have to do the same.

Don't mean to add fuel to the fire, but the Philippines' culture is based on other countries' cultures and it becomes so hybrid that essentially, it becomes its own culture - kinda like rap sampling old songs. And to bring up a point above, yes the Philippines is heavily influenced by American culture like calling any cola based products 'Coke', cameras and films 'Kodak'... culture included into the language, religious, pop culture, and consumerism... you get the picture.

...and yes, Filipinos ARE Asians whether they/we deny it or not.

Filipino's are primarily ethnically Malay, the majority of their blood can be traced back to Malaysia/Cambodia. But many have been mixed with Spanish, Chinese, etc. over the years.

Filipino culture historically has more Western influence than most other countries in Asia. There is not nearly as much Confucianism as their would be in Chinese, Korean, or even Vietnamese culture. They still eat rice and take their shoes off before entering the house though.

It's just a different cultural value system.

I'd say of my Filipino friends, their families were never poor but never rich either. They were either middle class to slightly higher middle class and not much anything else. However, I did know very poor immigrant Chinese but also very wealthy Chinese.

Originally Posted by lawinnn

Don't flatter yourself. Filipino Americans obsessed with American culture? Why the hell not, we're Americans aren't we? By virtue of being born in California, my culture and upbringing is and will be inherently American. Any culture from the Philippines belongs to my parents and although I was influenced by it growing up, it's not my own. I have a lot of respect for what was taught to me, however. Filipino culture was the way my parents lived, but not how I lived. Expecting your child to uphold culture that isn't theirs is asking too much in my opinion. 

And don't act like they're aren't people in the Philippines obsessed with American culture, especially pop culture. 

How can you be a Filipino American and harbor such disdain for your peers? You of all people should understand the identity crisis we go through. And more Filipinos in entertainment, the medical field, law, pharmaceutical industry or whatever has no influence whatsoever on my choice of occupation. You could be whatever the hell you want to be, no matter what ethnic background.

So what if some of us want to design street wear? Who the @@@# are you? Your post is just full of silly generalizations. Just because you've bolstered and exemplified whatever cultural aspects or idea of success your parents ingrained in that close-minded head of yours doesn't mean the rest of us have to do the same.

DC - You're misguided on not having a lot of Filipino role models in the medical field. I have a ton of friends and family in the medical industry; not only RN's, but caregivers and carehome owners (to address your point of having no business owners outside of urban), - not to mention I know quite a few Filipino doctors (some immigrant, some American born). I think this is more a case of the Filipinos that you're associating with. I know quite a bit, and I am not even in the medical field.

However, a big point to bring up is the Americanization of the Filipino people/Philippines. You have to consider that the Philippines is the most recent country that America successfully occupied and imposed the American culture forcefully - less than a generation ago. You're saying that Filipino's are posers, but for years Americans went to the Philippines and forced English in schools AND took Tagalog out of the schools. So then first generation Filipino-Americans from Pilipino parents who grew up thinking that the right way was the "American Way" has definitely had its effects. Just take a look at the numbers. Filipinos have the second highest population of Asians in America (number two a loooong way), but have the highest amount of inter-racial relationships. (This data is from a census that was taken a bit ago, I haven't researched this in a long time, so I'm not sure of last years numbers.)

My point DC, before you knock the people, understand them. You are Filipino-American by genetics - if you decide to stay clueless of the Filipino/Filipino American history, then by all means you're just "American" from here on out. Reversing something like what happened to the Filipinos does not happen overnight. It takes time and a desire to learn.

Mainland Filipinos - keep me honest on grammar school, as it is now in the PI. How is it now?

^^^^^^So do you think Filipinos are Asians? I am just asking and I didn't go back to the other pages to read up on everything.

I was in a post like this last year and it turned out pretty much the same. I seriously find all of this so interesting considering I have tons of Filipino friends and most have deliberately put themselves in the category as a Pacific Islander. I just never seen a race that so wanted to be in a category of their own. Rightfully so but this was about 15 years ago when I was in high school and no one really heard of the term Pacific Islander. Anyways, I just find it really interesting.

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

^^^^^^So do you think Filipinos are Asians? I am just asking and I didn't go back to the other pages to read up on everything.

I was in a post like this last year and it turned out pretty much the same. I seriously find all of this so interesting considering I have tons of Filipino friends and most have deliberately put themselves in the category as a Pacific Islander. I just never seen a race that so wanted to be in a category of their own. Rightfully so but this was about 15 years ago when I was in high school and no one really heard of the term Pacific Islander. Anyways, I just find it really interesting.
Filipino's are Asian by geography, yup - Now, if it's for the question of which box do Filipinos check, "Black, White, Native American, etc." - Not to be a lame, but race is such a poor qualifying question that it should be determined by the answerer. Does it depend on how someone looks? Geographical origin? Who they associate with most? What ever you wanna be, be that. By the same idea of someone from Spain marking 'white' - whatever you wanna do, ya know?

Oh yea - As for me - I literally mark it depending on how I feel, at that time or what's available. I just don't think it matters too much. Sometimes I will check 'other' and write in Filipino, just to be difficult.
smile.gif

Definitely, Asian.

*dead* @ the one poster saying a Samoan girl checking a Filipino girl about being Pacific Islander and she got quiet.

gets real lonely at college campuses...not many filipinos around

Originally Posted by JFMartiMcDandruff

gets real lonely at college campuses...not many filipinos around
What college? Solid amount of Filipino's at ASU (where I went) and that's in Tempe, AZ not necessarily the hub of the Filipino community. Whole lotta Filipinos across the WestCoast.. I mean the FilAm games at Riverside hosts a whoooooooooooooole lot of em. I pass by Berkeley pretty frequently and I see a bunch of look-like-student Filipinos there too.

Back
Top Bottom