Brand Jordan Edition: The Last dance Documentary.

I guess we already know the story Nike will use for the alleged bloodline 2.0

2DBCC983-DCEF-480F-918D-A52430E0D8A8.jpeg

it was the work of Sonny Vacarro, guy gets left out often in the telling of sneaker history

“In all honesty, I never wore Nike shoes until I signed with Nike,” Jordan said. “I was a big Adidas, Converse guy coming out of college. Then actually my parents made me go out to (Nike’s headquarters in Beaverton, Ore.) to hear their proposal.

“Prior to all of that, Sonny (Vaccaro) likes to take the credit. But it really wasn’t Sonny, it was actually George Raveling. George Raveling was with me on the 1984 Olympics team (as an assistant coach under Bob Knight). He used to always try to talk to me, ‘You gotta go Nike, you gotta go Nike. You’ve got to try.’

At the time, Raveling also was head coach at the University of Iowa and had an endorsement deal with Nike. In fact, Vaccaro secured the deal for Raveling.

“He actually introduced me to Sonny in L.A. And then, I didn’t know who Sonny was at the time,” Jordan said. “I knew of him, but I never really met him. …

“I absolutely fell in love with (Strasser) when he actually made the first presentation of the Jordan thing, the Air Jordan concept. I did meet Phil and obviously Phil was on a much bigger scale at that particular time. So Rob Strasser and all those guys, those are the guys I connected with initially. But before all of them it was George Raveling first.

“Sonny didn’t influence me to go to Nike. He got a deal proposed. He talked to Strasser. Strasser at the time, from what I understood and perceived, he really didn’t know the type of player and the type of person I was. He was looking at whoever he could find to fit that mold from what he was trying to do from an Air Jordan standpoint.

“Sonny watched me play in the McDonald’s (All-American) Games and all that stuff. His strong points were he knew all the kids growing up. I never played AAU, so he didn’t have any contact with me then. The only time I think he would’ve seen me play was the McDonald’s All-American game coming out of high school. And he followed me throughout college.

“When I got a chance to play in the Olympics, I became very good friends with George Raveling. He’s the one, in all honestly, that really persuaded me to look at Nike, because I wasn’t ready to look at Nike.”

“In all honesty, I never wore Nike shoes until I signed with Nike,” Jordan said. “I was a big Adidas, Converse guy coming out of college. Then actually my parents made me go out to (Nike’s headquarters in Beaverton, Ore.) to hear their proposal.

“Prior to all of that, Sonny (Vaccaro) likes to take the credit. But it really wasn’t Sonny, it was actually George Raveling. George Raveling was with me on the 1984 Olympics team (as an assistant coach under Bob Knight). He used to always try to talk to me, ‘You gotta go Nike, you gotta go Nike. You’ve got to try.’

At the time, Raveling also was head coach at the University of Iowa and had an endorsement deal with Nike. In fact, Vaccaro secured the deal for Raveling.

“He actually introduced me to Sonny in L.A. And then, I didn’t know who Sonny was at the time,” Jordan said. “I knew of him, but I never really met him. …

“I absolutely fell in love with (Strasser) when he actually made the first presentation of the Jordan thing, the Air Jordan concept. I did meet Phil and obviously Phil was on a much bigger scale at that particular time. So Rob Strasser and all those guys, those are the guys I connected with initially. But before all of them it was George Raveling first.

“Sonny didn’t influence me to go to Nike. He got a deal proposed. He talked to Strasser. Strasser at the time, from what I understood and perceived, he really didn’t know the type of player and the type of person I was. He was looking at whoever he could find to fit that mold from what he was trying to do from an Air Jordan standpoint.

“Sonny watched me play in the McDonald’s (All-American) Games and all that stuff. His strong points were he knew all the kids growing up. I never played AAU, so he didn’t have any contact with me then. The only time I think he would’ve seen me play was the McDonald’s All-American game coming out of high school. And he followed me throughout college.

“When I got a chance to play in the Olympics, I became very good friends with George Raveling. He’s the one, in all honestly, that really persuaded me to look at Nike, because I wasn’t ready to look at Nike.”

Complicated history, you gotta believe what you gotta believe
A lot of ego maniacs involved lol.
You cant complete a puzzle without all the pieces.

Spoiler alert: Don't come at me with "wall of text" comments. If you don't want to read this, just scroll down and skip it. Yeah, I'm talking to you, spoonmanofthehour spoonmanofthehour and JRepp23 JRepp23 ... just kidding :lol:

Like many things in business/life when it comes to how it happened, people want to make it black and white and take ultimate credit. In the Air Jordan/Nike situation, that's a dead end.

If David Falk doesn't think to try to position this guy in a then-unprecedented way, it doesn't happen. If Deloris/James Jordan don't demand their son get his *** to the meeting, it doesn't happen. Michael credits Raveling, but if Vaccaro doesn't get Raveling onboard with Nike in the first place, it doesn't happen. If whoever at Nike put together the video they showed him in that first meeting set to the Pointer Sisters' song "Jump" that MJ says really perked him up, maybe it doesn't happen. If Knight doesn't sign-off on trying to make this deal and letting the other people under him pursue it, it doesn't happen. I'm sure there are some more similar components. And that's only getting him to sign the deal.

Just signing the deal was a guarantee of nothing. What if Moore didn't color the shoes black and red, which was hideous and unprecedented at the time? What if the NBA didn't have the uniform policy it had in place and "ban" them as a result? And even if it did, what if ad agency Chiat/Day didn't come up with that famous Banned commercial with the black bars? What if Falk or whoever didn't think to call the things "Air Jordan" and instead came up with some less-engaging name?

What if a few years later, when Strasser and Moore left Nike and supposedly had Mike on the verge of coming with them, a guy named Tinker Hatfield didn't come up with the III and blow MJ away with the product presentation? And even then, what if ad agency Wieden + Kennedy didn't come up with the Mars and Mike campaign? What if Spike declined to be involved? And even after those ads debuted with the III, what if Tinker didn't keep coming up with epic designs, and the agency didn't keep rolling with epic ads? (And this all takes for granted the fact MJ kept doing insane **** on the actual court.)

To quote MJ in one of their later commercials: Can you imagine it? I can.

The gestation and success of the Air Jordan line and of the spinoff Brand Jordan are a one-in-a-billion shot. Maybe a trillion or more. It will almost certainly not be repeated. It was the perfect storm of player, company, marketing, and where the country was culturally ... timing has never been more important. A thousand things could've derailed this sucker. Even many years into it, what if Tinker listened when he was told to bag it after Jordan retired in '93 and not pressed on with the XI design? What if he had but the XI was just another more typical shoe?

Nope, we'll never see this again. Bickering over who is "responsible," or trying to boil it down so simplistically, forgets how this actually happened. And that's kind of the joke to me: they're trying to explain how it happened, but they're missing their own plot when they or anyone else tries to credit one or two people.

Last edited:
Spoiler alert: Don't come at me with "wall of text" comments. If you don't want to read this, just scroll down and skip it. Yeah, I'm talking to you, spoonmanofthehour spoonmanofthehour and JRepp23 JRepp23 ... just kidding :lol:

Like many things in business/life when it comes to how it happened, people want to make it black and white and take ultimate credit. In the Air Jordan/Nike situation, that's a dead end.

If David Falk doesn't think to try to position this guy in a then-unprecedented way, it doesn't happen. If Deloris/James Jordan don't demand their son get his *** to the meeting, it doesn't happen. Michael credits Raveling, but if Vaccaro doesn't get Raveling onboard with Nike in the first place, it doesn't happen. If whoever at Nike put together the video they showed him in that first meeting set to the Pointer Sisters' song "Jump" that MJ says really perked him up, maybe it doesn't happen. If Knight doesn't sign-off on trying to make this deal and letting the other people under him pursue it, it doesn't happen. I'm sure there are some more similar components. And that's only getting him to sign the deal.

Just signing the deal was a guarantee of nothing. What if Moore didn't color the shoes black and red, which was hideous and unprecedented at the time? What if the NBA didn't have the uniform policy it had in place and "ban" them as a result? And even if it did, what if ad agency Chiat/Day didn't come up with that famous Banned commercial with the black bars? What if Falk or whoever didn't think to call the things "Air Jordan" and instead came up with some less-engaging name?

What if a few years later, when Strasser and Moore left Nike and supposedly had Mike on the verge of coming with them, a guy named Tinker Hatfield didn't come up with the III and blow MJ away with the product presentation? And even then, what if ad agency Wieden + Kennedy didn't come up with the Mars and Mike campaign? What if Spike declined to be involved? And even after those ads debuted with the III, what if Tinker didn't keep coming up with epic designs, and the agency didn't keep rolling with epic ads? (And this all takes for granted the fact MJ kept doing insane **** on the actual court.)

The gestation and success of the Air Jordan line and of the spinoff Brand Jordan are a one-in-a-billion shot. Maybe a trillion or more. It will almost certainly not be repeated. It was the perfect storm of player, company, marketing, and where the country was culturally ... timing has never been more important. A thousand things could've derailed this sucker. Even many years into it, what if Tinker listened when he was told to bag it after Jordan retired in '93 and not pressed on with the XI design? What if he had but the XI was just another more typical shoe?

Nope, we'll never see this again. Bickering over who is "responsible," or trying to boil it down so simplistically, forgets how this actually happened. And that's kind of the joke to me: they're trying to explain how it happened, but they're missing their own plot when they or anyone else tries to credit one or two people.
Skipped it. This guy trying to make the NYT best sellers list.

j/k, read it. >D

I’m sorry but the playoffs are the best XIII. Actually it’s the flints then the playoffs then hgg then red/white then blk/reds.
The entire original lineup of mids are all appreciated. The black and red will always be my favorite 13. Starting to hold the white and reds a little higher nowadays lol. Doc induced probably. Too clean.
But the Flints are the only I have never had. Back then it was Bulls colors or bust. Hard to rank that original lineup. They were all :pimp:

It’s not widely accepted but where I’m from the flints are the goat XIII.
I get this. Im from up north Indiana. My fathers and his side of family from Illinois. I was born into loving Chicago teams without knowing it. lol. It was an easy transition. I moved around Central Ind when I was a teen and everyone around here for some reason was a Pacer fan. :D I never budged.
I went from a school where everyone had Js and Mike was god to a school that had one dude with Js on and everyone hated MJ. It was weird for sure.

The people running their site has not had a clue for years. I dont expect them to. The history behind the line means nothing to them. Its comical at this point. Their job is to push products. The 6 rings shoe would maybe make sense to what inventory they are trying to unload.

I would assume this Sunday hits on the "Comeback" , the theory on why he left the game in 93. Leading to the 72 win season. I really think they need more than 10 episodes to capture it all. We will see.

Now tell us the story of how Chuck Taylor created a line that sold over one billion pairs of sneakers.

There was nothing else to buy. Everyone bought them. The end.
Whats funny about Chucks is my 15 year old girl was sooooo into those 2 years ago with her friends all wearing them. She ended up with 5 different colors of those shoes. My wife, 2. Then BAM, they were not IN anymore.

Back
Top Bottom